PDA

View Full Version : What is the first things you do after fresh install?

bartos
April 27th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Just wondering what software and tweaks everyone does after a fresh installation.
The servers were too busy today to do any real software installs.

I played with Unity because This is my first time using it. Got nvidia drivers installed for my dual monitors.( can't set a different wallpaper on each yet.) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966006.

12.04 boots up very quick. Found some sites that suggest tweaks after fresh 12.04 install.
Will try installing software tomorrow and my conky.

So what did you do and will be doing with your shiny 12.04?

cariboo
April 27th, 2012, 01:39 AM
The very first thing I do is open a terminal and install mc, aptitude and synaptic. I then remove the Software Centre, UbuntuOne and LibreOffice Impress icons from the launcher. Once that is done. I install all of the packages I use that aren't included in the default install. It usually works out to an extra 2-300 packages.

wolfen69
April 27th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I do any updates, then get codecs and any apps I regularly use. Done. Nothing special really.

blithen
April 27th, 2012, 01:50 AM
The very first thing I do is open a terminal and install mc, aptitude and synaptic. I then remove the Software Centre, UbuntuOne and LibreOffice Impress icons from the launcher. Once that is done. I install all of the packages I use that aren't included in the default install. It usually works out to an extra 2-300 packages.
I do this exact thing except I don't use mc. :P

|{urse
April 27th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I usually reboot

\\:D/

DogMatix
April 27th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Cigarette.

Was it good for you babe!

Version Dependency
April 27th, 2012, 02:25 AM
A few things I always add right away include synaptic, aptitude, gimp, virtualbox, conky, vlc, calibre, devede, filezilla.....and SUPERTUXKART! :D

Oh, and for this latest release I removed rhythmbox and installed clementine.

QIII
April 27th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Cigarette.

Do you smoke after a fresh install?

I don't know. I've never looked.

TBABill
April 27th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Install all updates, install proprietary drivers, install codecs, install Sun/Oracle Java (or Java 7), add Chromium and Synaptic, change background, change Unity bar behavior to auto-hide.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 27th, 2012, 02:49 AM
1st - Change the wallpaper

2nd - Make sure nVidia and any other restricted drivers are activated.

3rd - Apply any updates.

4th - Tweak sources.list with a couple of my favorite PPAs.

5th - Install my favorite apps

6th - Enjoy the experience.

bartos
April 28th, 2012, 12:13 AM
My official list now.
Install Ubuntu.Remove Ubuntu Silly unity
Install Xubuntu.
Change wallpaper. Update. Install Nvidia drivers.
Reboot
Install my favorite software
Set up conky
Trying cairo dock this time.
Enjoy LTS

LakeWind
April 28th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Very simple... set up wi-fi and apply any updates that are needed. That's the first thing I do.

alexfish
April 28th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Simple: I read only one thing

Break the Last Taboo - Go for an Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7

Break the Last Techie Taboo - Go for an Upgrade from Vista (http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows7/windows7_upgrade_taboo.htm#Break_the_Last_Taboo_-_Go_for_an_Upgrade_from_Vista)
Lessons from Previous Windows Installs (http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows7/windows7_upgrade_taboo.htm#Lessons_from_Previous_W indows_Installs_)
Your New Best Friend - The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows7/windows7_upgrade_taboo.htm#Your_New_Best_Friend_-_The_Windows_7_Upgrade_Advisor)
Aftercare Once Windows 7 Arrives (http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows7/windows7_upgrade_taboo.htm#Aftercare_Once_Windows_ 7_Arrives)
In-place Upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 (http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows7/windows7_upgrade_taboo.htm#In-place_Upgrade_to_Windows_Server_2008_R2)

:lolflag:

LemursDontExist
April 28th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I have a text file with a list of packages I install. gnome-shell, chromium, and ubuntu-restricted-extras are at the top of the list, ohh, and sgt-puzzles. I can't live without my addictive logic games. Then I install any updates.

Unity seems ok, but I like focus-follows-mouse, and last time I checked, focus-follows-mouse is totally incompatible with Unity from a practical point of view, so I use gnome-shell.

mips
April 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM
My official list now.
Install Ubuntu.Remove Ubuntu Silly unity
Install Xubuntu.

Why jump through those hoops if you don't mind me asking?

Would it not be easier to install Xubuntu or a base install of Ubuntu off the alternate or netinstall cds and then adding xubunu or xfce?

Johnny3
April 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Install Synaptic Package Manager,Ubuntu restricted extras,Bleach,Advance System, and K3B. Uninstall shot well and Brasero

vasa1
April 28th, 2012, 02:05 PM
... install mc...
What is "mc"?

keithpeter
April 28th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hello All

Tap Super then type 'Jockey' and load nvidia restricted drivers. Reboot.

sudo apt-get install gimp inkscape scribus ubuntu-restricted-extras lyx audacity lame ffmpeg
Time for a nice cup of tea :twisted:

Seriously, I'm going to leave the current clean install of 12.04 on this PC for as long as I can.

There is a small partition for testing, currently Debian Wheezy with the default desktop (Gnome 3/Gnome-Shell).

Lamukra
April 28th, 2012, 02:10 PM
First thing right away are updates and then I start with setting up graphics. Always was using open-source driver but now from 12.04 seems that will be using fglrx - proprietary driver from amd.

1. Updates

2. Graphics, xogr.conf configuration, getting rid of issues shown in Xorg.0.log

3. Deal with any issues in a system (long boot time, splash screen, sound, wifi connection etc.). Making everything work properly.

4. Install needed apps and add ppa's of favorite soft

5. Prepare machine for web-development

6. Tweak Unity and appearance.

7. Find something new to break and then fix it, report bugs and help community and people to solve their problems

8. Feel Amazing!!! :lolflag:

zombifier25
April 28th, 2012, 02:11 PM
What is "mc"?
According to apt-cache show mc:

Midnight Commander - a powerful file manager
GNU Midnight Commander is a text-mode full-screen file manager. It
uses a two panel interface and a subshell for command execution. It
includes an internal editor with syntax highlighting and an internal
viewer with support for binary files. Also included is Virtual
Filesystem (VFS), that allows files on remote systems (e.g. FTP, SSH
servers) and files inside archives to be manipulated like real files.
Homepage: http://www.midnight-commander.org

The very first thing I do after install? Laugh hysterically.

vasa1
April 28th, 2012, 03:27 PM
According to apt-cache show mc:
Thanks! No wonder I didn't know what it was.

GuitarHero
April 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM
What's the benefit of using synaptic over the software center?

Marzata
April 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM
After a fresh installation of Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Install: xubuntu-restricted-extras, xfce4-goodies, faenza-icon-theme. And you have the best Linux distro. Thank you, Mark Shuttleworth! Thank you, community!

alexfish
April 28th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Trolling thought the libs , but there again would prefer a stroll down the Grand Canyon. :cool:

keithpeter
April 28th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Fast
No adverts and minimal bling
Shows low level libraries as well as main apps
Familiarity in my case (can't speak for the one who suggested it first)

alexfish
April 28th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Fast
No adverts and minimal bling
Shows low level libraries as well as main apps
Familiarity in my case (can't speak for the one who suggested it first)

Yep. If the user is experienced . don't forget those without the Knowledge , and those that only want to download Software that works , IE : most important are the font ends , this is what you see in the Software centre. delving into synaptic as regards some media players and graphics is not for a novice , Synaptic can come later.

LemursDontExist
April 28th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Yep. If the user is experienced . don't forget those without the Knowledge , and those that only want to download Software that works , IE : most important are the font ends , this is what you see in the Software centre. delving into synaptic as regards some media players and graphics is not for a novice , Synaptic can come later.

I find Synaptic is at a very awkward point on the usability front. It's a little bit too sophisticated to be good for a novice, but it's way less convenient/efficient than just using apt-get directly if you know what you're doing.

I guess it's useful for your migrating windows power user who's comfortable with the inner workings of a computer, but hasn't gotten comfortable with the command line yet?

Zukaro
April 28th, 2012, 09:02 PM
After a fresh install I stare at my monitor and think "now what?..." Then I install Gparted, Pidgin, VLC Media Player, and a few other things as well as change my desktop wallpaper and sync Firefox so I have all my bookmarks.

keithpeter
April 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I find Synaptic is at a very awkward point on the usability front.

Absolutely. GuitarHero asked for the benefits. :twisted:

As alexfish says, Ubuntu Software Centre is great for the 'ordinary users' who want to use Ubuntu to run apps and make stuff. I really hope the 'app store' part of Software Centre takes off because that will result in more development for the platform.

I personally find Synaptic useful when I can't remember the name of a programme or a set of libraries. I should learn the apt-get search commands and brush up my regular expressions I suppose.

alexfish
April 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I find Synaptic is at a very awkward point on the usability front. It's a little bit too sophisticated to be good for a novice, but it's way less convenient/efficient than just using apt-get directly if you know what you're doing.

Edit : SYNAPTIC
I guess it's useful for your migrating windows power user who's comfortable with the inner workings of a computer, but hasn't gotten comfortable with the command line yet?

Yep the bottom is the bottom line , Highlighted and Edited

goldshirt9
April 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM
personally I have s tiff drink before i install any extras I need :P

alexfish
April 28th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Absolutely. GuitarHero asked for the benefits. :twisted:

As alexfish says, Ubuntu Software Centre is great for the 'ordinary users' who want to use Ubuntu to run apps and make stuff. I really hope the 'app store' part of Software Centre takes off because that will result in more development for the platform.

I personally find Synaptic useful when I can't remember the name of a programme or a set of libraries. I should learn the apt-get search commands and brush up my regular expressions I suppose.

Brush up on Data Base: :p the opposition use this method frequently

bartos
April 28th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Why jump through those hoops if you don't mind me asking?

Would it not be easier to install Xubuntu or a base install of Ubuntu off the alternate or netinstall cds and then adding xubunu or xfce?

I tried the full Ubuntu with Unity first and didn't like it. So I formatted the install to do a fresh install of Xubuntu. Could of installed Xfce desktop but I figure they probably have their own tweaks for Xfce in Xubuntu.
Unity is not tweakable enough yet for me. They are trying to make it uniform so it is recognizable as Ubuntu.

Mathor
April 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Is the most important thing step for any install.

mips
April 28th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I tried the full Ubuntu with Unity first and didn't like it. So I formatted the install to do a fresh install of Xubuntu. Could of installed Xfce desktop but I figure they probably have their own tweaks for Xfce in Xubuntu.
Unity is not tweakable enough yet for me. They are trying to make it uniform so it is recognizable as Ubuntu.

Oops, sorry I misunderstood your post. All clear now.

sffvba[e0rt
April 28th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Ctrl+Alt+t - sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

KBD47
April 28th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Install Gnome-Panel, move minimize/maximize/close to the right, remove overlay scrollbars, install synaptic package manager, gdebi, restricted extras, psensor, deluge, unebootin, banshee, too many to list, no wonder I was so worn out :-)

goldshirt9
April 28th, 2012, 11:17 PM
well after messing about to try to sort out a problem with unity,
I installed kubuntu :) so better

Uncle Spellbinder
April 28th, 2012, 11:19 PM

Indeed.

neu5eeCh
April 29th, 2012, 12:01 AM
As of 12.04? This (https://github.com/StanAngeloff/AmbianceOneiric/blob/add2a8aa3d736e69b11a6f1a8700498dd194bbd8/README.md).

neu5eeCh
April 29th, 2012, 12:02 AM
personally I have s tiff drink before i install any extras I need :P

After a stiff drink, things must get really exciting.;-)

Johnny3
April 29th, 2012, 12:41 AM

I am kind of a jack of all and master of none. I find the status part of SPM(bad at spelling too.) to be the most helpful. You can completely remove things for more had drive space, update packages , and I think I have fixed broken package there to. To me it is a in-between before going for the terminal. Which for me is mostly copy and paste. I just think it is good to known if you want to do more.
Hope this helps Johnny 65 +++

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 29th, 2012, 11:33 PM
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get xubuntu-desktop

d.atanasov
April 29th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I just run my installation script ./application-to-install and wait for another drink :D

LillyDragon
April 30th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Post install? Get down to it and reinstall all my favorite programs and games, of course! Don't even have to fool with drivers like I do on Windows, except for the scanner. Then I celebrate by playing a Linux-native PC game and screwing around with the infinite number of wallpaper choices sitting on my home partition. ^^ Not the classiest celebration ever, but it does feels good when the personalization process is said and done.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get xubuntu-desktop

Heh, after finally getting frustrated with the still-borked Gnome Classic desktop, that was the first thing I did. :P I actually find Xfce even more flexible and user-friendly than Gnome 2 was, w00t! Next time I'll just consider a clean Xubuntu install; Unity still isn't my cup of tea yet.

Peripheral Visionary
April 30th, 2012, 02:33 AM
On Xubuntu after a fresh install, I purge pulseaudio first thing and stick with alsa. Throw on some Seamonkey, Xournal, PCManFM, remove duplicate apps.

BrokenKingpin
April 30th, 2012, 03:46 AM
This is generally what I do after an Xubuntu install:
- Install Chromium
- Install/setup Spideraok
- Setup Zim wiki
- Setup theme/wallpaper
- Setup Monodevelop and other dev tools
- A number of other small things

mamamia88
April 30th, 2012, 05:40 AM
me personally. arrange my panels and stuff the way i like it then install the few pieces of software i normally add and then upgrade everything. i then just test everything and fix any problems that may come along.

ubuntu27
April 30th, 2012, 05:58 AM
What I usually do step by step

1) See if there is any update

2) Remove unnecessary icons from Unity Launcher: LibreOffice-Impress, LibreOffice-Calc, UbuntuOne.

3) Install MyUnity (apt://myunity)

4) Enable ¨menus have icons¨ in MyUnity (IMHO this should be default.)

MyUnity----->Desktop----> Panel menus have icons

5) Install Synaptic Package Manager (apt://synaptic)

6) Install alternative browsers: Chromium (apt://chromium-browser) and Epiphany (apt://epiphany-browser). I mainly use Firefox, but I find that the download manager in Chromium works better in downloading large files than Firefox.

7) Install Nitro (http://iloveubuntu.net/tags/nitro). This is a very handy tool. That makes organizing your life much easier.

8) Install Redshift (http://jonls.dk/redshift/). It is important to take care of your eyes ;-)

sudo apt-get install redshift

9) Install some set of wallpapers from the repository

sudo apt-get install edubuntu-wallpapers ubuntu-wallpapers-maverick ubuntu-wallpapers-oneiric

10) Install my favorite Manga/Comic reader. It works as a nice general image viewer too!

sudo apt-get install comix

mamamia88
April 30th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I just run my installation script ./application-to-install and wait for another drink :D

good idea i've moved over to debian now but i think i will create a similar script in case i ever do a fresh install again which i'm bound too since i can never leave well enough alone

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 1st, 2012, 01:41 AM
Heh, after finally getting frustrated with the still-borked Gnome Classic desktop, that was the first thing I did. :P I actually find Xfce even more flexible and user-friendly than Gnome 2 was, w00t! Next time I'll just consider a clean Xubuntu install; Unity still isn't my cup of tea yet.

I think Unity is a good interface; however, it is not right for me at this time.

All the operating systems I use at work and home still use menus. At work we use Red Hat, Solaris, Windows XP, Windows 7, etc. We have not started experimenting with operating systems that prefer non-menu interfaces; such as, Windows 8. Even Apple is making statements that merging the desktop and mobile device user interfaces my not be a good idea.

synaptix
May 1st, 2012, 01:43 AM

:popcorn:

Frogs Hair
May 1st, 2012, 02:07 AM
Reboot

Install:
updates
Compiz
Nvidia Current
Reboot
Programs
Browser Extensions
codecs & Flash
Themes & Icons
Medibuntu Repository
Clean up With Bleach Bit

ratcheer
May 1st, 2012, 02:54 AM
I just happen to have kept a list:

After first reboot -

dist-upgrade
Prevent bluetooth daemon from autostarting
Install fglrx ATI graphics driver
Migrate my data from my prior installation's /home
Install KeePassX and aptitude
Compile and install the chipset maker's driver for my wireless card

That's most of the real important stuff.

Tim

GameX2
May 2nd, 2012, 03:19 AM
I install updates, then run this. X)

#!/bin/sh
apt-get remove gnome-screensaver shotwell simple-scan thunderbird vino remmina remmina-common
add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
add-apt-repository ppa:cinelerra-ppa/ppa
apt-get update
apt-get install grub-customizer ubuntu-tweak cinelerra p7zip p7zip-full p7zip-rar clamtk pysdm screenlets screenlets-pack-all evolution verbiste-gnome gimp pinta chromium-browser wine1.4 playonlinux audacity cheese minitube winff alacarte compizconfig-settings-manager gparted gufw gconf-editor mplayer synaptic xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl-extra xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-screensaver-bsod devilspie gdevilspie bleachbit lame clementine

It takes only 10 minutes to install all my softwares! Seriously, Linux is amazing! :D

MButterman
May 2nd, 2012, 05:53 AM
A tall glass of Pepsi and a sigh of relief.