PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Guido to Upgrade Ubuntu from 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot to 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin

maknesium
April 26th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Hi,

this is my first post in this community and I hope I can contribute directly to the distribution of Ubuntu (more precise: the latest version of it). I wrote a little step-by-step guide with screenshots which illustrates the process of the Upgrade from Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot to 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin very precisely.

I hope this screenshot-guide is of some help to the ones here wanting to get to know the process of the upgrade to the latest (and IMHO greatest) version of Ubuntu :)

http://www.maknesium.de/upgrade-ubuntu-from-11-10-oneiric-ocelot-to-12-04-lts-precise-pangolin

I am looking forward to your feedback!

maknesium

tkoopa
April 26th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Just wanted to mention, always make a backup. I upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 using a live-usb and encountered an issue during the upgrade. It got stuck on the "replacing previously installed packages" process. So I disconnected the network which allowed it to finish. However all my installed software had gone ( tomboy, ecplise, mysql, apache, shutter, gimp, ... ) so I have to restore everything ( luyckily my /home was on another partition so when I re-install most programs use my old settings/data )

maknesium
April 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah, making a backup is always a good idea before doing a major upgrade. I guess, anyone can remember her/himself kicking youself for not making a backup when something went wrong.....

Next time, I might provide al little script wich backups your home folder / partition proir to the update :)