PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing 11.04, stuck with 10.04

Doug11
April 26th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I have tried installing 11.04 on my Aspire 4736. Problem being, I have to install with the "nomodeset" option to see the graphics. But Upon reboot, it goes back dim. Very common problem and have tried many fixes, but none seem to do the trick, so now I am running 10.04. I would like to upgrade somehow but don't want to have to put up with this dim screen BS. Is there anything that can be done before the upgrade that will nullify this? Thanks

houseworkshy
April 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM
This could be machine specific as I'm on 10.04lts, and will continue to be be during the teething first few months of 12.04lts, and my display is not dim. If the problem is related to the gui then you could try installing LXDE, it is in the repro's. If you do at boot, after the name and before the password is entered you can choose which graphic user interphase to use. LXDE is quite simple, around win95/8 level except you can have several desktops, but also very low on system resourses and power use. Gets you round the system just as well.

I've just searched for your model, it's a laptop. Well in that case definately install LXDE, even if you resolve the screen brightness issues. Use the full featured gui when plugged in and LXDE when not plugged in to extend battery life. According to phoronix.com KDE and Unity drew the most power and LXDE drew least, it was a big differance too. Just tried to find the page but couldn't. Definately use LXDE when out and about, it'll add significant time to how long a charge lasts.