PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem

emirwashere
April 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

I've just downloaded ubuntu 12.04 lts and It was pretty good experience until i realize to my touchpad problem.

It was same nightmare just like ubuntu 11.10, i can not use my right click function.

I tried this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/83590/how-do-i-disable-the-touchpad-using-the-upper-left-corner-on-an-hp-pavilion-dv6 but it didn't work, I'm waiting for your help.

ps: I've Hp Probook

SOLVED: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11918367&postcount=18
Thank you Tomkear2006

irishshagua
April 26th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I believe I'm having the same issue. Right click is not working (it is being treated as a left click). I'm using a HP Pavillion dv7

VideoRoy
April 27th, 2012, 03:07 AM
This is a very old, old problem that was supposed to be fixed in 12.04. I just blew away my working 11.10 config on my HP Mini 2102 because this was supposed to be working now. I have struggling with this since 10.10 and only help from the community to create hacks has helped.

My only reason to upgrade was that this was supposed to be working. Time to load the backup and get back to 11.10 or finally move to SUSE which has this simple problem fixed.

Very disappointed again. Ubuntu just seems to be a bag of hurt on netbooks.

VideoRoy
April 27th, 2012, 05:34 AM
After searching I found one useful tip to reenable the right click but even with that 12.04 is a major step backward from where I was with the patched driver.

Here is what I did:

1. Create 51-clickpad.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory. Note that xorg.conf.d directory did not exist for me on 12.04 as it did in previous versions so I had to make the directory.
2. Put the following lines in 51-clickpad.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
MatchDriver "synaptics"
Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"

#Next 3 items added just for the HP Mini to better control the clickpad
Option "LockedDrags" "1"
Option "BottomEdge" "4000"
Option "AreaBottomEdge" "4445"

EndSection

3. Logout / Login for changes to take effect.

The SoftButtonAreas fixes the right click. The BottomEdge items mask off the bottom of the clickpad so the button will not act like the rest of the clickpad when dragging your finger on it.

I had to add LockedDrags which I hate, because I can no longer left click with my thumb and drag with pointer finger. The sensitivity is all messed up so locked drags is my only solution if I stay with Ubuntu. I keep threating to change to SUSE but I like all the rest of Ubuntu better. The hardware support for Netbooks and laptops with clickpads has been bad for years now.

barrieluv
April 27th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I've had this problem for ages with my Pavilion DV6, but I can get the right click action on 12.04 (running live as I type) by tapping the lower right corner of the touchpad. And by that I mean the lower right corner of the space where you would tap to click in the lower right space (if that makes sense).

VideoRoy
April 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I've had this problem for ages with my Pavilion DV6, but I can get the right click action on 12.04 (running live as I type) by tapping the lower right corner of the touchpad. And by that I mean the lower right corner of the space where you would tap to click in the lower right space (if that makes sense).

Yes that works because by default RTCornerButton = 2. Which means when you tap the lower right corner treat it as a Right Click. 1=Left, 2 =Right, 3=Middle if HW supports.

For those that are interested in your runtime settings, go to Terminal and type synclient -l That is a lower case "L". You can change runtime parameters by typing syclient RTCornerButton=1 for example. This will make the right corner a Left click instead for a test. All changes revert back after logout / login or restart X server.

To remain persistent you have to put them in any file with a .conf extension in the xorg.conf.d directory.

Manpages for this are here http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man4/synaptics.4.html

I have spent way too many hours messing with this since Maverick.

Good luck.

lim1t
April 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Hi,

Got same problem on HP Mini 210 2001sa.

Looks like right button on clickpad is not being detected:

xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" | grep Capabilities

gives

Synaptics Capabilities (297): 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1

Still got jumpy 'left click + drag', but its soooo close to being fixed! Multitouch etc. all seems to work well.

(update) - As VideoRoy and ufuntoo pointed out that single button detection is probably correct. Instead, when button a is pressed, the driver uses the position of the finger to determine if a left/(middle)/right click took place.

VideoRoy
April 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Hi,

Got same problem on HP Mini 210 2001sa.

Looks like right button on clickpad is not being detected:

xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" | grep Capabilities

gives

Synaptics Capabilities (297): 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1

Still got jumpy 'left click + drag', but its soooo close to being fixed! Multitouch etc. all seems to work well.

I am on the Mini 2102 basically the business model of the 210. If you use the settings I have above Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0" it will give you back the right click.

This was a work around until they fix it in 12.10.

lim1t
April 27th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I am on the Mini 2102 basically the business model of the 210. If you use the settings I have above Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0" it will give you back the right click.

This was a work around until they fix it in 12.10.

It Works!

Thanks VR, that really is a good workable setup.

ufuntoo
April 28th, 2012, 03:58 AM
So, I have an HP clickpad as well (same SynPS/2 as above). By accident I determined that the clickpad seems to not distinguish between mechanical buttons. Instead it uses a 1 finger click as a left click and a 2 finger click as a right click. Its not intuitive at the start but I personally think it may grow on me.

HPA
April 28th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I've recently upgraded from Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit and the problem with the right click on my HP Probook 4520s touchpad reappeared (like it happened in the upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1726450) in last April and the next upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 in last October).

Here is what I did:

1. Create 51-clickpad.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory. Note that xorg.conf.d directory did not exist for me on 12.04 as it did in previous versions so I had to make the directory.

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
MatchDriver "synaptics"
Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"

#Next 3 items added just for the HP Mini to better control the clickpad
Option "LockedDrags" "1"
Option "BottomEdge" "4000"
Option "AreaBottomEdge" "4445"

EndSection

3. Logout / Login for changes to take effect.The above-mentioned instructions worked.
Thanks VideoRoy.

VideoRoy
April 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM
It Works!

Thanks VR, that really is a good workable setup.

I am glad it works. My only real problem now is the left click / drag as you mentioned. The Jumpy setting is gone in Precise so for now I am using the Locked Drags parameter I listed above. It helps mostly even with highlighting text for a copy / paste operation.

Resizing a window is still extremely difficult though.

VideoRoy
April 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Yes that works because by default RTCornerButton = 2. Which means when you tap the lower right corner treat it as a Right Click. 1=Left, 2 =Right, 3=Middle if HW supports.

For those that are interested in your runtime settings, go to Terminal and type synclient -l That is a lower case "L". You can change runtime parameters by typing syclient RTCornerButton=1 for example. This will make the right corner a Left click instead for a test. All changes revert back after logout / login or restart X server.

To remain persistent you have to put them in any file with a .conf extension in the xorg.conf.d directory.

Manpages for this are here http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man4/synaptics.4.html

I have spent way too many hours messing with this since Maverick.

Good luck.

Just correcting myself here any place I said RTCornerButton should be RBCornerButton. The difference is the Top versus the Bottom part of the button.

Sorry for any confusion.

HPA
April 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I've noticed a new problem with the touchpad after using the VideoRoy's fix.
Before the appearance of the problem, when I pressed the line between the left and the right click on a link of Mozilla Firefox or in Nautilus, this link opened automatically in a new tab.
Now this function is not active.
How can we adjust this?
Thank you.

monkiki
April 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks a lot, works pretty well.

AnotherMuggle
May 7th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I posted a patched mouse driver for the last two Ubuntu releases and I'm currently working on porting the patch to the Precise kernel. I can get left middle and right click working beautifully on my HP Mini 210 but I'm struggling with dragging. I will have another look when I get a chance to see if I can figure it our. If I get a decent patch together then I will post it here along with installation instructions.

EDIT: I have now patched the 12.04 psmouse driver and can confirm the following work:

- Left Click
- Middle Click
- Right Click
- Click and Drag (not 100% but pretty good)
- Tap to Click
- Horizontal and Vertical scrolling

I will get it uploaded with instructions tonight.

Truefire
May 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks, I look forward to that!

:popcorn:

AnotherMuggle
May 8th, 2012, 10:02 PM
As promised I have attached my mouse driver patch for kernel 3.2.0-24-generic-pae. I am using this patch myself but I only just finished tinkering with it so I can't promise anything regarding reliability or whether the patch will work for other people. Hopefully it will help some people out!

1. Download the attached file to your computers desktop
2. sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential
3. cd ~/Desktop
4. tar jxvf psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae.tar.bz2
5. sudo mv psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae /usr/src
6. cd /usr/src
7. sudo chmod -R a+rx psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae
8. sudo dkms add -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
9. sudo dkms build -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
10. sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
11. sudo modprobe -r psmouse
12. sudo modprobe psmouse
13. sudo dkms status

The output of the last command should look similar to this (with no errors):
"psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, i686: installed"

No need to restart the computer as the driver is now loaded and the mouse should be working, including the hardware right button.

argylerabbit
May 8th, 2012, 11:17 PM
The patch worked for me, so far, so good. Thank you!

xbartolo
May 9th, 2012, 01:11 AM
What a great patch. It worked very well. Thank you for the work and for sharing!!

rileynowokowski
May 9th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Tomkear2006's patch worked great. Thanks a ton! This trackpad has always been a source of problems for me and this worked extremely well. Thanks again!

the pwner224
May 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM
tomkear2006's patch (#16) works perfectly.

randomist33
May 10th, 2012, 04:09 AM
This works perfectly!!! Thanks!

rbwerst
May 12th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Much appreciated...I put a Solid state hard drive in my HP mini 210; did a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 lts install, and the right click is now working like a charm...on to the file transfer portion of the procedure, and finding out how much the SSD improves this little note-taker's performance.

julianopallaoro
May 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM
It worked properly on my HP dm1-3251br.

Thanks for your help @VideoRoy

Regards,

Juliano

After searching I found one useful tip to reenable the right click but even with that 12.04 is a major step backward from where I was with the patched driver.

Here is what I did:

The SoftButtonAreas fixes the right click. The BottomEdge items mask off the bottom of the clickpad so the button will not act like the rest of the clickpad when dragging your finger on it.

I had to add LockedDrags which I hate, because I can no longer left click with my thumb and drag with pointer finger. The sensitivity is all messed up so locked drags is my only solution if I stay with Ubuntu. I keep threating to change to SUSE but I like all the rest of Ubuntu better. The hardware support for Netbooks and laptops with clickpads has been bad for years now.

ombradelsole
May 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Very good for my HP Envy!
It's ok and now I can work using right click.
Thanks a lot to tomkear2006 for this guide and for the psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae.tar.bz2 file.

jwp1
May 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM
The patch worked for me also

Frank2600
May 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thank you, it has worked also for me !

ceac13
May 14th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Work to me! Thanks from Brazil!

nerina
May 15th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Very very tanks tomkear2006 from Italy

emirwashere
May 16th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Works with Hp-Probook 4525s.
Thank you #18

progre55_icky
May 17th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Worked like a charm! Appreciate, tomkear2006

DerHerrMigo
May 18th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Works on HP Mini 210, 32-bit Lubuntu. Thanks!
Any chance this could go into the build? While the patch is most appreciated, it would be less frustrating if we didn't have to look for it here...

AnotherMuggle
May 18th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Works on HP Mini 210, 32-bit Lubuntu. Thanks!
Any chance this could go into the build? While the patch is most appreciated, it would be less frustrating if we didn't have to look for it here...

I'd be very pleased if it made it into the main Linux Kernel, but I'm not sure of a few things:

1) If it breaks mouse functionality on any other hardware.
2) How to go about submitting the patch for review/acceptance.

Cheers,
TK

varunp87
May 18th, 2012, 09:47 PM
It's working w/o any issues. Thanks Tk!!

theresaanna
May 19th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Works perfectly on my HP Folio 13. Thanks so much!

earthwormgym
May 20th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Hi,

This patch works on my HP DM-1 touchpad in making right click available but it seems as if my touchpad is devided into 3 areas horizontally so that when I click the pad in the first third I get a left button response, 2nd third middle button and last third right button. This makes it difficult to use as I frequently get a middle button response when I want left. For example it closes tabs in firefox rather than selecting it (annoying as this is the exact opposite of what I want! ;-). I have tried vaious settings for:
TapButton1
TapButton2
TapButton3
ClickFinger1
ClickFinger2
ClickFinger3
SoftButtonAreas

But nothing seems to change the way this is layed out. What I want is to have the button areas at the bottom of the pad clearly the left and right click areas and then when I click anywhere else I get a left click response.

Has any one else seen this? Any tips?
Thanks

AnotherMuggle
May 21st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Hi,

This patch works on my HP DM-1 touchpad in making right click available but it seems as if my touchpad is devided into 3 areas horizontally so that when I click the pad in the first third I get a left button response, 2nd third middle button and last third right button. This makes it difficult to use as I frequently get a middle button response when I want left. For example it closes tabs in firefox rather than selecting it (annoying as this is the exact opposite of what I want! ;-). I have tried vaious settings for:
TapButton1
TapButton2
TapButton3
ClickFinger1
ClickFinger2
ClickFinger3
SoftButtonAreas

But nothing seems to change the way this is layed out. What I want is to have the button areas at the bottom of the pad clearly the left and right click areas and then when I click anywhere else I get a left click response.

Has any one else seen this? Any tips?
Thanks

Hi earthwormgym,

That is exactly how the patch is working, its taking the width of the pad from the firmware, taking the left section as the left button, right section as the right button and anything in the middle as the middle button. However it should be divided vertically, not horizontally so I'm not sure what's happening there!?

vibemanslim
May 22nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
As promised I have attached my mouse driver patch for kernel 3.2.0-24-generic-pae. I am using this patch myself but I only just finished tinkering with it so I can't promise anything regarding reliability or whether the patch will work for other people. Hopefully it will help some people out!

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

No need to restart the computer as the driver is now loaded and the mouse should be working, including the hardware right button.

Thanks for the share. This worked for me!

earthwormgym
May 22nd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hi earthwormgym,

That is exactly how the patch is working, its taking the width of the pad from the firmware, taking the left section as the left button, right section as the right button and anything in the middle as the middle button. However it should be divided vertically, not horizontally so I'm not sure what's happening there!?

Thanks for getting back to me. It's devided up vertically not horizontally as I first said.

What I'd like ideally is to only have the buttons section devided into left and right buttons (no middle button) and have the rest of the pad as a left button. Failing that just being able to get rid of the middle button would be good. Is there any way to configure how it is devided?

AnotherMuggle
May 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. It's devided up vertically not horizontally as I first said.

What I'd like ideally is to only have the buttons section devided into left and right buttons (no middle button) and have the rest of the pad as a left button. Failing that just being able to get rid of the middle button would be good. Is there any way to configure how it is devided?

Are you familiar with c programming? If so then modifying the source code in the patch is straightforward, you can diff it against the original kernel source and you will be able to see where my changes are. If not then let me know and I will do a version with no middle button, just left and right buttons.

amithbn
May 28th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the driver! Works like a charm

sportsdude81
May 30th, 2012, 11:15 PM
how do uninstall this if I wanted to? It did fix the right click issue but the click and drag is much worse for me. I'm on an HP folio 13

AnotherMuggle
May 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM
how do uninstall this if I wanted to? It did fix the right click issue but the click and drag is much worse for me. I'm on an HP folio 13

Hi sportsdude81,

There are a few fixes in this thread, which one did you use?

Cheers,
TK

Davidgo
May 31st, 2012, 10:16 PM
3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Thank you for this. It works great on my HP Folio 13 with the slightest of modifications -

For anyone using X86 , it seems you can download this package, rename it to the appropriate version instead of "3.2.0-24-generic-pae" (which you can find by typing uname -a), editing the "PACKAGE_VERSION" in dkms.conf and modifying the above instructions to suit.

Mr0zz
June 1st, 2012, 02:28 PM
The patch works perfectly!! Thank you so much sir! :D

lexya000
June 4th, 2012, 11:09 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

hy, i have an mini hp 210 too...with ubuntu 12.04..and i've made all the things you said....but still doesn't work.... i sais the il correctly install..but nothing...the scrollbar doens't exist! please help me!

AnotherMuggle
June 5th, 2012, 05:25 PM
hy, i have an mini hp 210 too...with ubuntu 12.04..and i've made all the things you said....but still doesn't work.... i sais the il correctly install..but nothing...the scrollbar doens't exist! please help me!

Please post the output of this command:

sudo dkms status

and this command:

uname -a

josephaland
June 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM
As promised I have attached my mouse driver patch for kernel 3.2.0-24-generic-pae.

Perfect. Thank you so much. Works great on my HP Pavilion dv6.

russov
June 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
it works perfectly.
tanks from italy

spyvie
June 11th, 2012, 03:52 PM
The steps in post #18 don't work for me, I can't get past line 7. I don't claim to be an expert and I didn't realize until just now that I would need to be one to set this up. Seems to me it ought to be a little more straight forward to achieve basic functionality from Ubuntu on these VERY MAINSTREAM HP Pavilion DM4 laptops.

Not much chance I'm going to pursue this further, I don't need the headaches and I have Windows licenses for all of these machines. I's just a shame is all, and I wanted to vent a little.

Thanks.

AnotherMuggle
June 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM
The steps in post #18 don't work for me, I can't get past line 7. I don't claim to be an expert and I didn't realize until just now that I would need to be one to set this up. Seems to me it ought to be a little more straight forward to achieve basic functionality from Ubuntu on these VERY MAINSTREAM HP Pavilion DM4 laptops.

Not much chance I'm going to pursue this further, I don't need the headaches and I have Windows licenses for all of these machines. I's just a shame is all, and I wanted to vent a little.

Thanks.

Hi spyvie,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. What exactly happens when you get to step 7?

Cheers,
TK

metodiew
June 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
As promised I have attached my mouse driver patch for kernel 3.2.0-24-generic-pae....

Thank you for sharing this solution. It works great here at HP Probook 4525s under Ubuntu 12.04 :)

earthwormgym
June 13th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Are you familiar with c programming? If so then modifying the source code in the patch is straightforward, you can diff it against the original kernel source and you will be able to see where my changes are. If not then let me know and I will do a version with no middle button, just left and right buttons.

Hi, I'm not familiar with c programming but it wasn't too tricky to work out. I have attached a patch file of the changes I have made in case they are useful to any one else. This has the top 80% of the pad being left click with the bottom 20% being split in half for left and right click (no middle button)

AnotherMuggle
June 13th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Hi, I'm not familiar with c programming but it wasn't too tricky to work out. I have attached a patch file of the changes I have made in case they are useful to any one else. This has the top 80% of the pad being left click with the bottom 20% being split in half for left and right click (no middle button)

Excellent work! Hopefully this satisfy other people who also aren't interested in the middle button.

incindre
June 15th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Hi AnotherMuggle,
I've been struggling with TouchPad issues on my HP-DM1Z; Same as most people I have no hardware right click (its acts as another left click) or pinch to zoom (but most other things work fine).

Your patch seemed like a godsend, but I'm a complete linux novice and running Linux Mint 13 64-bit; thinking that, one being built on the other, it would work fine, I followed all your instructions to the letter (I know, dumb) and it all seemed to work until "11. sudo modprobe -r psmouse" upon which my netbook froze completely.

On force reboot the TouchPad does not work at all.

Is this a salvagable situation? I'd dearly love your input (the Mint community is pretty poor for helping people). Just let me know if I've boned it to death and I'll install Ubuntu!

I've appended the Terminal log for 'uname -a' and 'sudo dkms status'

uname -a:
Linux Vespa 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

sudo dkms status:
fglrx, 8.960, 3.2.0-23-generic, amd64: installed
psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed (original_module exists)
virtualbox-guest, 4.1.12, 3.2.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)

Thanks in advance and sorry for crashing your forums!

AnotherMuggle
June 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hi AnotherMuggle,
I've been struggling with TouchPad issues on my HP-DM1Z; Same as most people I have no hardware right click (its acts as another left click) or pinch to zoom (but most other things work fine).

Your patch seemed like a godsend, but I'm a complete linux novice and running Linux Mint 13 64-bit; thinking that, one being built on the other, it would work fine, I followed all your instructions to the letter (I know, dumb) and it all seemed to work until "11. sudo modprobe -r psmouse" upon which my netbook froze completely.

On force reboot the TouchPad does not work at all.

Is this a salvagable situation? I'd dearly love your input (the Mint community is pretty poor for helping people). Just let me know if I've boned it to death and I'll install Ubuntu!

I've appended the Terminal log for 'uname -a' and 'sudo dkms status'

uname -a:
Linux Vespa 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

sudo dkms status:
fglrx, 8.960, 3.2.0-23-generic, amd64: installed
psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed (original_module exists)
virtualbox-guest, 4.1.12, 3.2.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)

Thanks in advance and sorry for crashing your forums!

Hi incindre,

I think the first step you need to take is to completely remove the dkms module from your system as it is not compatible with your kernel. You are using a different kernel version and it is also 64 bit, either of these things, or both, could be causing the problem.

To remove the module, log in, open a terminal and run the following commands. Reboot the system and you should be back to square one... a working mouse but left click only.

1. sudo dkms uninstall -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
2. sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae --all

Let me know how you get on with that.

Regards,
Tom

incindre
June 16th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Alright, I have done that, and now the Touchpad works as it did prior, thanks a bunch!
I eagerly await further instruction.

AnotherMuggle
June 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Alright, I have done that, and now the Touchpad works as it did prior, thanks a bunch!
I eagerly await further instruction.

I'm afraid you will need to find someone to port this patch into the default Mint kernel. Unfortunately I don't have a Mint install so I don't think I can help. Sorry.

TK

incindre
June 17th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Cheers, that's all I needed to hear; I'm going to jump ship to Ubuntu immediately!

ozonito
June 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Fantastic!!!=D> Folio 13 user

sportsdude81
June 17th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hi incindre,

I think the first step you need to take is to completely remove the dkms module from your system as it is not compatible with your kernel. You are using a different kernel version and it is also 64 bit, either of these things, or both, could be causing the problem.

To remove the module, log in, open a terminal and run the following commands. Reboot the system and you should be back to square one... a working mouse but left click only.

Let me know how you get on with that.

Regards,
Tom

That is what I was looking for. Thanks AnotherMuggle

sportsdude81
June 17th, 2012, 12:36 PM

Perfect!!! This is exactly the change I was planning on making. Thanks

azevedo
June 17th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Hi, I'm a Folio 13 user, and after the patch everything works fine, left and right click, double-finger scrolling, but when i click with the left button and try to drag a selection with other finger it doesnt work. Does anybody using a Folio 13 had a similar problem? If yes, do you know how to fix it?

Cheers!

AnotherMuggle
June 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Hi, I'm a Folio 13 user, and after the patch everything works fine, left and right click, double-finger scrolling, but when i click with the left button and try to drag a selection with other finger it doesnt work. Does anybody using a Folio 13 had a similar problem? If yes, do you know how to fix it?

Cheers!

When you click the left button, try placing the touch right on the bottom edge of the touch area. Does that help?

It might be because some of the coordinates are slightly different in the touchpad on that device and need tweaking in the source code.

mrbuhi
June 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Thank You so much. That perfectly works. I just changed the kernel version with mine.

azevedo
June 18th, 2012, 08:27 PM
When you click the left button, try placing the touch right on the bottom edge of the touch area. Does that help?

It might be because some of the coordinates are slightly different in the touchpad on that device and need tweaking in the source code.

Hi, it's weird, but after restarting the computer, now it's actually working, not very properly though. depending on how i click on the left button, im able to drag or not. I still havent figured out exactly what is the best way to do it. But as im usually use an usb mouse I wont take it too seriously. Thanks for the attention, by the way.

Dynaflow
June 20th, 2012, 03:35 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

At step 11, X is crashing and I'm being returned to the initial login window without any use of the touchpad at all.

This problem has been re-occurring for so long, if I can't fix this soon, I'm probably going to move this machine to the new iteration of Fedora Core, which does not seem to have any issues with my Mini 210's hardware in my live-distro tests. I'm quite happy with how 12.04 is working on my full-size laptop (which has been running Ubuntu since 6.10), but on this netbook, Ubuntu has been somewhat of a pig for the last few upgrade cycles because of this and several other hardware issues. Has anyone else had this level of frustration with their HP Mini's, or is mine just special?

AnotherMuggle
June 20th, 2012, 09:17 AM
At step 11, X is crashing and I'm being returned to the initial login window without any use of the touchpad at all.

This problem has been re-occurring for so long, if I can't fix this soon, I'm probably going to move this machine to the new iteration of Fedora Core, which does not seem to have any issues with my Mini 210's hardware in my live-distro tests. I'm quite happy with how 12.04 is working on my full-size laptop (which has been running Ubuntu since 6.10), but on this netbook, Ubuntu has been somewhat of a pig for the last few upgrade cycles because of this and several other hardware issues. Has anyone else had this level of frustration with their HP Mini's, or is mine just special?

The touchpad has been my main cause of problems with Ubuntu on my Mini 210. I have tried other distro's and been faced with the same problems. It's interesting that you say Fedora doesn't have the same issue, they must be applying a patch themselves or using a different driver for touchpad support.

slayaplaya16
June 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Will this work with kernel version 3.2.0-26? If not I have coded a bit in c++ and could try to patch the patch for this version, but just wanted to see if it would work before I break my kernel. Thanks!

AnotherMuggle
June 28th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Will this work with kernel version 3.2.0-26? If not I have coded a bit in c++ and could try to patch the patch for this version, but just wanted to see if it would work before I break my kernel. Thanks!

I just downloaded the source for 3.2.0-26 and a diff shows the mouse driver hasn't changed at all. You may need to change the kernel version in the dkms.conf file, but I don't know for sure.

aia832003
July 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM
I just downloaded the source for 3.2.0-26 and a diff shows the mouse driver hasn't changed at all. You may need to change the kernel version in the dkms.conf file, but I don't know for sure.

I had the same problems. Re-run steps 9-13 and it will rebuild the driver for the proper kernel.

mioxnam
July 1st, 2012, 08:28 AM
I just installed ubuntu 12.04 in my Inspiron dell n5010. When i tried to touch my touch pad the right click button stop functioning. Just gone crazy. I tried this one from the post i saw with no errors still not helping.

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

So could someone got another way to help me please. For now i disabled my touch pad using this synclient TouchpadOff=1. Till someone could make a working instruction for dell.

AnotherMuggle
July 1st, 2012, 08:33 AM
I just installed ubuntu 12.04 in my Inspiron dell n5010. When i tried to touch my touch pad the right click button stop functioning. Just gone crazy. I tried this one from the post i saw with no errors still not helping.

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

So could someone got another way to help me please. For now i disabled my touch pad using this synclient TouchpadOff=1. Till someone could make a working instruction for dell.

Sorry I can't help with fixing your problem but you should start by removing this patch because it could confuse any other fixes you try to put in place.

This patch was written specifically for HP Mini netbooks which have a single hardware button underneath the touch area of the touchpad.

Run these commands to remove the patch:

Richimax
July 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks you! My first time that i use Ubuntu, i have a lot problems with graphic card, touchpad, etc. but you help me a lot with it. Now is ok my touchpad.;)

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

udaraseneviratne
July 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

It works very well on my PC thank you very much...................

wilson99
July 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM
It worked with HP DV6 3020EP...
Thank you!!!:p

I had some trouble with cd ~/Desktop (I had to rename it... in portuguese is Área de Trabalho)

THANK YOU, and greetings from Portugal!

gunashekar
July 5th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thank you for these. I am looking for all such fixes for my daughters new(proposed) HP mini on which I plan to install Ubuntu 12.04 . Where can I find more fixes for issues with ubuntu on HP mini?
Or would anyone advice a better netbook brand/model than HP mini?
Regards
guna

bdeviitb
July 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks buddy

mohsaba
July 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

It works fine, thank you.

aeirado
July 9th, 2012, 03:05 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Hi,
Thanks a lot AnotherMuggles!
It works on HP Pavilion DV6, kernel 3.2.0-26 (dkms.conf edited)

ksenofor
July 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

You are really superman - a lot... no.. A LOT OF THANKS!!!
It was my dream to use right mouse on my thouchpad with HP 4525s

ralynx
July 15th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks from Puerto Rico!!

aman451
July 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks a lot man... :D

tompeach
July 17th, 2012, 10:10 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

I followed these steps on my HP mini210 and got an error at step 9 (I think)

below is the contents of the make.log file

DKMS make.log for psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae for kernel 3.0.0-22-generic (i686)
Tue Jul 17 21:43:16 BST 2012
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-22-generic'
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/psmouse-base.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.o
/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.c: In function ‘set_input_params’:
/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.c:1217:13: error: ‘BTN_TOOL_QUINTTAP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.c:1217:13: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.o] Error 1
make: *** [psmouse.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-22-generic'

PLEASE - anyone HELP!!

tompeach
July 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Come on Ubuntu Community, has anybody got a clue how to fix my problem above?

I don't want to go back to winbloze but if I can't make this work, I have no choice.

I was told that the community here was active and friendly.

Please someone help...

helgatheviking
July 24th, 2012, 05:51 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

AnotherMuggle,

Is this an HP specific patch? I probably should've asked that before trying it, but I'm not seeing any difference on my Samsung 7, which is experiencing the same trouble of no right click.

AnotherMuggle
July 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM
AnotherMuggle,

Is this an HP specific patch? I probably should've asked that before trying it, but I'm not seeing any difference on my Samsung 7, which is experiencing the same trouble of no right click.

The patch was put together specifically for the HP Mini 210 with little regard for any other devices.

If it didn't help with your Samsung 7 then follow the removal instructions in post #74 to ensure it doesn't cause confusion with any other potential fixes.

AnotherMuggle
July 26th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I followed these steps on my HP mini210 and got an error at step 9 (I think)

below is the contents of the make.log file

DKMS make.log for psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae for kernel 3.0.0-22-generic (i686)
Tue Jul 17 21:43:16 BST 2012
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-22-generic'
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/psmouse-base.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.o
/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.c: In function ‘set_input_params’:
/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.c:1217:13: error: ‘BTN_TOOL_QUINTTAP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.c:1217:13: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/3.2.0-24-generic-pae/build/src/synaptics.o] Error 1
make: *** [psmouse.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-22-generic'

PLEASE - anyone HELP!!

Hi Tom,

Just got your PM. I somehow missed this message on the forums.

By the look of the log messages there is a kernel version conflict. You appear to have the kernel 3.0.0-22-generic... I am guessing this is Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)?

If that is the case then this isn't the patch for you. I did do one for 11.10 which you can find here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1388164&page=27 post #265. I can't promise anything but that one should do the trick! The instructions remain the same just use the different version number where applicable.

Hope that helps,
TK

jigsaw!
July 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Dude, thank you a lot!!!

You are my hero!!! )))

kuroquick
July 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

thanks you
perfect solution for me

tricolorpoa
July 29th, 2012, 03:29 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Thanks!!!! :P

tompeach
July 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hi Tom,

Just got your PM. I somehow missed this message on the forums.

By the look of the log messages there is a kernel version conflict. You appear to have the kernel 3.0.0-22-generic... I am guessing this is Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)?

If that is the case then this isn't the patch for you. I did do one for 11.10 which you can find here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1388164&page=27 post #265. I can't promise anything but that one should do the trick! The instructions remain the same just use the different version number where applicable.

Hope that helps,
TK

It certainly did, worked a treat. I now have a working laptop - Thanks

You are truly a Linux Genius!!!

Much Appreciated.

kriengten
August 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
it work on acer aspire one v5-171
thanks

HPA
August 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I have a different problem:
The middle click in my HP Probook 4520s Touchpad doesn't work after upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit).
How can I fix this problem?
Thank you.

AnotherMuggle
August 20th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I have a different problem:
The middle click in my HP Probook 4520s Touchpad doesn't work after upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit).
How can I fix this problem?
Thank you.

Does this help?:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/130393/how-to-configure-the-touchpad-middle-click

HPA
August 20th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for your help.
I followed all suggestions presented here http://askubuntu.com/questions/130393/how-to-configure-the-touchpad-middle-click but the problem remains.
The only think I want is to open links in a new tab whenever I press the borderline between left and right click on the touchpad of my HP Probook 4520s.
That worked before the upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04.
I never used three finger click.
Actually, I don't know exactly how it works and I never cared about it.

malegria
August 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Would this also work if I am using kernel 3.2.0-29-generic-pae?

retracenz
August 21st, 2012, 09:25 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Excellent!

HPA
August 21st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Would this also work if I am using kernel 3.2.0-29-generic-pae?I don't think so. In previous cases (for Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04 and 11.10) the patch was kernel-dependent.
However, the most appropriate person to answer to your question is AnotherMuggle.

dhizzy13
August 29th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by AnotherMuggle

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

This worked for me right after I installed it but after a reeboot, my touchpad no longer worked at all. Using an HP dm4-1060us Ubuntu 12.04.1
Please help

AnotherMuggle
August 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Would this also work if I am using kernel 3.2.0-29-generic-pae?

It should work...give it a go. If it doesn't work as expected and you're landed with no mouse, or whatever, then you can just remove the module as per the instructions in post #74.

AnotherMuggle
August 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
This worked for me right after I installed it but after a reeboot, my touchpad no longer worked at all. Using an HP dm4-1060us Ubuntu 12.04.1
Please help

What is the output of this command?:

sudo dkms status

dhizzy13
August 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM
This is what comes up
bcmwl, 5.100.82.38+bdcom, 3.2.0-29-generic-pae, i686: installedError! Could not locate dkms.conf file.
File: does not exist.

dhizzy13
August 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM
and if i try to remove it:
daniel@ubuntu:~$ sudo dkms uninstall -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
daniel@ubuntu:~$ sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae --all
Error! Could not locate dkms.conf file.
File: does not exist.

dhizzy13
August 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Is there a way to get this to work on 3.2.0-29?

AnotherMuggle
August 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Is there a way to get this to work on 3.2.0-29?

I can't promise anything, but try repeating the entire process using this attached file and the version number 3.2.0-29 in place of the older 3.2.0-24. All I have done is update the version numbers in the dkms.conf file. It may help.

dhizzy13
August 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I can't promise anything, but try repeating the entire process using this attached file and the version number 3.2.0-29 in place of the older 3.2.0-24. All I have done is update the version numbers in the dkms.conf file. It may help.

lets see if it works

what would the remove code for this be in case anything goes wrong?

AnotherMuggle
August 29th, 2012, 08:14 PM
lets see if it works

what would the remove code for this be in case anything goes wrong?

Just the same as with the previous version but use 29 in place of the 24 in the previous version.

dhizzy13
August 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM
YES! It works so far. I will reboot again to see if it works after that. Thanks for your help.

dhizzy13
August 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Thank you very much for helping me. It works now after the reboot too. Thanks. -dhizzy13

HPA
August 30th, 2012, 01:18 PM
@AnotherMuggle:
I tried your solution ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11918367&postcount=18 ) on a Dell Inspiron Q15R N5110, which had a problem with the edge scrolling of its touchpad.
The result of the following command
sudo dkms statusis (last lines)
psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-27-generic, x86_64: installed
psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: built
psmouse, 3.2.0-29-generic-pae, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
psmouse-alps, 0.10, 2.6.38-11-generic, x86_64: builtThe problem with the edge scrolling was not solved, and not only this:
The middle click on the touchpad stopped working since then.
What can I do now?
Thank you in advance.

AnotherMuggle
August 30th, 2012, 01:21 PM
@AnotherMuggle:
I tried your solution ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11918367&postcount=18 ) on a Dell Inspiron Q15R N5110, which had a problem with the edge scrolling of its touchpad.
The result of the following command
sudo dkms statusis (last lines)
psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-27-generic, x86_64: installed
psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: built
psmouse, 3.2.0-29-generic-pae, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
psmouse-alps, 0.10, 2.6.38-11-generic, x86_64: builtThe problem with the edge scrolling was not solved, and not only this:
The middle click on the touchpad stopped working since then.
What can I do now?
Thank you in advance.

Your problem is almost definitely because this is a patch built from the 32bit PAE kernel source and you machine is running a 64bit kernel.

Only suggestion I have is to remove the patch by following the instructions in post #74.

EDIT: On second thought it looks like you have an alps touchpad rather than the synaptics this patch is for.

HPA
August 30th, 2012, 08:11 PM
EDIT: On second thought it looks like you have an alps touchpad rather than the synaptics this patch is for.Yes, you 're right, thank you.
I' ll remove the patch from Dell and I'll try to find (or start) a different topic concerning the problem with the edge scrolling on Dell touchpad.

A few minutes ago I tested the same solution ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11918367&postcount=18 ) on my HP Probook 4520s (though it has the 64bit version of Ubuntu 12.04 installed in it).
In this HP laptop the edge scrolling, as well as the middle click don't work.
The solution didn't work here again, for some other reason.
The output on my terminal (starting from step 4, the previous steps have messages in Greek, so you won't understand them) is:
..@..-HP:~$ tar jxvf psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae.tar.bz2
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/dk...conf
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/alps.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/alps.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/amimouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/appletouch.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/atarimouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/bcm5974.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/elantech.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/elantech.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/gpio_mouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/hgpk.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/hgpk.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/inport.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/Kconfig
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/lifebook.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/lifebook.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/logibm.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/logips2pp.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/logips2pp.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/Makefile
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/maplemouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/pc110pad.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/psmouse-base.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/psmouse.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/pxa930_trkball.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/rpcmouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/sentelic.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/sentelic.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/sermouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/synaptics.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/synaptics.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/synaptics_i2c.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/touchkit_ps2.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/touchkit_ps2.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/trackpoint.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/trackpoint.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/vsxxxaa.c
..@..-HP:~$ sudo mv psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae /usr/src
..@..-HP:~$ cd /usr/src
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo chmod -R a+rx psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo dk.. add -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-29-generic-pae

Creating symlink /var/lib/dk../psmouse/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/source ->
/usr/src/psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae

DK..: add completed.
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo dk.. build -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-29-generic-pae

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=3.2.0-29-generic -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic/build M=/var/lib/dk../psmouse/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/build/src psmouse.ko......
cleaning build area....

DK..: build completed.
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo dk.. install -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-29-generic-pae

psmouse:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic/updates/dk../

depmod.........

DK..: install completed.
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo modprobe -r psmouse
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe, it will be ignored in a future release.
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo modprobe psmouse
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe, it will be ignored in a future release.
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo dk.. status
fglrx, 8.960, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: installed
psmouse, 3.2.0-29-generic-pae, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: installed
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ I think the problem doesn't have to do with 64 bit.
You can see here that:
psmouse, 3.2.0-29-generic-pae, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: installed, which shows that it was successfully installed.
What do you think?

AnotherMuggle
August 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM
Yes, you 're right, thank you.
I' ll remove the patch from Dell and I'll try to find (or start) a different topic concerning the problem with the edge scrolling on Dell touchpad.

A few minutes ago I tested the same solution ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11918367&postcount=18 ) on my HP Probook 4520s (though it has the 64bit version of Ubuntu 12.04 installed in it).
In this HP laptop the edge scrolling, as well as the middle click don't work.
The solution didn't work here again, for some other reason.
The output on my terminal (starting from step 4, the previous steps have messages in Greek, so you won't understand them) is:
..@..-HP:~$ tar jxvf psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae.tar.bz2
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/dk...conf
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/alps.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/alps.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/amimouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/appletouch.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/atarimouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/bcm5974.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/elantech.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/elantech.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/gpio_mouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/hgpk.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/hgpk.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/inport.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/Kconfig
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/lifebook.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/lifebook.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/logibm.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/logips2pp.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/logips2pp.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/Makefile
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/maplemouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/pc110pad.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/psmouse-base.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/psmouse.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/pxa930_trkball.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/rpcmouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/sentelic.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/sentelic.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/sermouse.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/synaptics.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/synaptics.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/synaptics_i2c.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/touchkit_ps2.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/touchkit_ps2.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/trackpoint.c
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/trackpoint.h
psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae/src/vsxxxaa.c
..@..-HP:~$ sudo mv psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae /usr/src
..@..-HP:~$ cd /usr/src
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo chmod -R a+rx psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo dk.. add -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-29-generic-pae

Creating symlink /var/lib/dk../psmouse/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/source ->
/usr/src/psmouse-3.2.0-29-generic-pae

DK..: add completed.
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo dk.. build -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-29-generic-pae

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=3.2.0-29-generic -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic/build M=/var/lib/dk../psmouse/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/build/src psmouse.ko......
cleaning build area....

DK..: build completed.
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo dk.. install -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-29-generic-pae

psmouse:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic/updates/dk../

depmod.........

DK..: install completed.
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo modprobe -r psmouse
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ sudo modprobe psmouse
psmouse, 3.2.0-29-generic-pae, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: installed
..@..-HP:/usr/src$ I think the problem doesn't have to do with 64 bit.
You can see here that:
psmouse, 3.2.0-29-generic-pae, 3.2.0-29-generic, x86_64: installed, which shows that it was successfully installed.
What do you think?

I don't know any facts related to the different architectures as I've never tried it myself, never compared the source and never tested how DKMS reacts in situations like that.

Personally I would only recommend this patch for the 32bit PAE kernel.

HPA
August 31st, 2012, 08:12 AM
ΟΚ.
For the edge scrolling problem on my Dell laptop (Alps touchpad), the appropriate topic is this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1904605.
I' ve posted a message there.

surfinnerd
September 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hello

Thanks !

Works fine for my HP Mini 210 1020SA

.....soooo happy to have my right click back

One thing i did experience was my netbook shutdown at the modprobe -r stage but after it rebooted I just cd'd back to /usr/src and continued to end

status came back as 'installed' so all good

Awesome-thanks again.:D

SimonBugs
September 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM
Using the patch on a 64 bits Sony Vaio 1311, it works!

2 problems:

- when you rest your thumb on a button (not clicking), the mousepad is not usable. In Windows this does work.
- When you click left and have your finger on the right side of the pad, it clicks right. Perhaps make a patch which only detects the button position if area is within the AreaBottomEdge ?

mattylee
September 8th, 2012, 02:07 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Perfect on HP Envy14 12.04LTS! Right, Left, Middle, Drag & Drop.
Thanks!

eliasmohor
September 10th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Thank you very much! Your patch worked great!

MooMinIL
September 10th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Using the patch on a 64 bits Sony Vaio 1311, it works!

2 problems:

- when you rest your thumb on a button (not clicking), the mousepad is not usable. In Windows this does work.
- When you click left and have your finger on the right side of the pad, it clicks right. Perhaps make a patch which only detects the button position if area is within the AreaBottomEdge ?
I second those problems.
It seems to me that the driver is programmed to rightclick whenever it detects a click and a finger on the whole of the right side of the touchpad.
I'm currently using a lenovo z380 with a synaptics touchpad that has no physical buttons except for the whole of the touchpad itself(similer to the macbook but poorer quality)
Basically what i feel that this driver needs is to seperate not only on the X Axis but also on the Y. Meaning that any click above a certain line(the virtual button line) will count as a left click.
Also while writing this comment now I noticed that there's a very fine line of a middle button click that is for some reason assigned to pasting.
I would try to work on the source myself but I've only just started the dabble in linux and have absolutely no idea how as of this moment =]
I'd love to help in any other way I can though.

MooMinIL
September 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM
http://sehajmann.com/hd-dvd-and-blu-ray/
lts Hp touchpad right click problem
Ehm, what?

AnotherMuggle
September 14th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I second those problems.
It seems to me that the driver is programmed to rightclick whenever it detects a click and a finger on the whole of the right side of the touchpad.
I'm currently using a lenovo z380 with a synaptics touchpad that has no physical buttons except for the whole of the touchpad itself(similer to the macbook but poorer quality)
Basically what i feel that this driver needs is to seperate not only on the X Axis but also on the Y. Meaning that any click above a certain line(the virtual button line) will count as a left click.
Also while writing this comment now I noticed that there's a very fine line of a middle button click that is for some reason assigned to pasting.
I would try to work on the source myself but I've only just started the dabble in linux and have absolutely no idea how as of this moment =]
I'd love to help in any other way I can though.

There are loads of possibilities for tweaks and changes but for me the right click is usable now. Anyone who is interested in modifying the source is free to do so as all relevant files are included in the .tar.bz2 file.

It might be worth noting that the right click works for me without needing a patch on a bang up-to-date Debian Sid system. Hopefully there will be no need to make any changes with upcoming kernel releases.

AnotherMuggle
September 18th, 2012, 06:50 PM
This post is to draw everything into once place. Partly to help people looking for this patch and partly so I can keep better track myself lol.

I have attached all the patch files that I have done for Ubuntu 12.04 to this post and will remove from elsewhere a link here (I think I can do that). All these patches are the same, the only difference is the version number, so that it doesn't cause any problems when installing against a different kernel version.

Once the patch is installed it can be left alone, no need to do anything when you get a kernel installed as it is updated automatically.

I have been using this patch myself and have had no issues with it. Many people have contacted me or posted on this thread confirming it works on other laptops but it was put together specifically for the HP Mini 210...you may find success on other laptops too :D

When using the commands below replace <VERSION> with the relevant version number you are trying to installed, for example for version 3.2.0-24, use psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae

To install the patch:

3. cd ~/Desktop
4. tar jxvf psmouse-<VERSION>-generic-pae.tar.bz2
5. sudo mv psmouse-<VERSION>-generic-pae /usr/src
6. cd /usr/src
7. sudo chmod -R a+rx psmouse-<VERSION>-generic-pae
8. sudo dkms add -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae
9. sudo dkms build -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae
10. sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae
13. sudo dkms status

To uninstall the patch:

1. sudo dkms uninstall -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae
2. sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae --all

Solzhenitsyn1
September 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM
HP mini, running xubuntu - 3.2.0-31-generic (i686)

works perfectly, thanks very much.

tru23
September 29th, 2012, 11:09 AM
HP Envy 14, Linux Mint 13 - kernel version 3.2.0-23

Works like a charm, thank you very much.8)

l4c
October 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Anything for kernel 3.2.0-31?

Thank you

AnotherMuggle
October 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
Anything for kernel 3.2.0-31?

Thank you

Here :D

Follow the instructions in post #124 of this thread.

l4c
October 6th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Thank you for your reply, unfortunately it didn't work for my ASUS K55VM-SX083VF laptop.

Thanks anyway :)

pheonone
October 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
HP Probook 4520s, Ubuntu 12.04.1 with kernel 3.2.0-31
Works perfectly, thank you very much ;)

UPDATE: after kernel update to 3.2.0-32 still works perfectly

asifejaz
October 16th, 2012, 10:38 AM
This post is to draw everything into once place. Partly to help people looking for this patch and partly so I can keep better track myself lol.

I have attached all the patch files that I have done for Ubuntu 12.04 to this post and will remove from elsewhere a link here (I think I can do that). All these patches are the same, the only difference is the version number, so that it doesn't cause any problems when installing against a different kernel version.

Once the patch is installed it can be left alone, no need to do anything when you get a kernel installed as it is updated automatically.

I have been using this patch myself and have had no issues with it. Many people have contacted me or posted on this thread confirming it works on other laptops but it was put together specifically for the HP Mini 210...you may find success on other laptops too :D

When using the commands below replace <VERSION> with the relevant version number you are trying to installed, for example for version 3.2.0-24, use psmouse-3.2.0-24-generic-pae

To install the patch:

3. cd ~/Desktop
4. tar jxvf psmouse-<VERSION>-generic-pae.tar.bz2
5. sudo mv psmouse-<VERSION>-generic-pae /usr/src
6. cd /usr/src
7. sudo chmod -R a+rx psmouse-<VERSION>-generic-pae
8. sudo dkms add -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae
9. sudo dkms build -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae
10. sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae
13. sudo dkms statusThe output of the last command should look similar to this (with no errors):

"psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, i686: installed"No need to restart the computer as the driver is now loaded and the mouse should be working, including the hardware right button.

To uninstall the patch:

1. sudo dkms uninstall -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae
2. sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v <VERSION>-generic-pae --all

this method works like a charm.. thumbs up

avermaa
October 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and Ubuntu as well. Having the same right cick problem, but I cant see the 'attached file' to downlaod???

AnotherMuggle
October 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and Ubuntu as well. Having the same right cick problem, but I cant see the 'attached file' to downlaod???

Everything you need is in post #124 of this thread.

Good luck :D

avermaa
October 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Everything you need is in post #124 of this thread.

Good luck :D

Thanks a ton - I was looking at an older post. It works fine...

fgiava
October 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Thank you very much, after two years my HP ProBook 4320 touchpad works with gesture and right click both!

I applied the patch version psmouse-3.2.0-30-generic-pae to the kernel 3.2.0-32-generic-pae (Ubuntu12.04) . All seems to be ok.

I have noticed that on Ubuntu 12.10 this touchpad problem it is already solved.

fgiava
October 27th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Thank you very much, after two years my HP ProBook 4320 touchpad works with gesture and right click both.

I applied the patch version psmouse-3.2.0-30-generic-pae to the kernel 3.2.0-32-generic-pae (Ubuntu12.04). All seems to be ok.

AnotherMuggle
October 27th, 2012, 04:15 PM

I was pleased to discover this too. 12.10 works very nicely on my Mini :)

aliuntu
October 29th, 2012, 01:01 AM
trouble with "right clicking" on new asus i5 core, 6Gb ram 720 Gb HD, doesnt respond to right clicking, btw, got rid of the dell latitude e6420 wasnt worth the headaches.. will try a few more thing in the settings just to make sure that im doin everything correctly, i hvae upgraded to 12.04 LTS... yeah baby!! now we're going places..

AnotherMuggle
November 12th, 2012, 10:53 PM
HP dv5 click pad patch.
I don't suppose a 64-bit version of this patch is available, or you could tell me how to make it compatible?

I've never looked at the source for the 64bit kernel. It may be just the same, it may be very different, I've honestly no idea, sorry.

Also the patch is for a HP Mini, not a DV5, but it may work on that model.

You may be interested to know the clickpad works perfectly with Ubuntu 12.10 with no need for a patch.

irvingvladimir
December 12th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I have the same problem but touching anywhere with two fingers opened the right click menu on my acer aspire v5-171 with ubuntu 12.04.

chrismack88
December 13th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Works excellently HP Probook 4525s :)

lipu123
December 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Here :D

Follow the instructions in post #124 of this thread.

What about 3.2.0-35-generic-pae????

I tried with the psmouse-3.2.0-30 but after giving this "sudo modprobe -r psmouse"
my touchpad don't work any more.

My laptop is Lenovo S400

Lazorne
December 19th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Thank you the psmouse-3.2.0-30 worked like a charm on my HP DV6-3163!

One of my two major gripes are gone, thanks for that:KS:KS:KS

...Now if only my Radeon HD 5xxx Series/Intel hybrid would work as well.. Some day maybe.

synace
December 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Does this prevent the cursor from moving if touching the 'button' areas of the click pad?

I'd like left/middle/right click to work in the designated bottom area of my clickpad, but I don't want cursor movement to work.

Normally, if I use AreaButtonEdge, it disables touch sensitivity altogether (good because they cursor won't move), but it also kills it's ability to detect 'where' my finger is, thereby killing the right-click area (as such, it registers as left click).

I think a small patch to modify 'AreaBottomEdge' so that it only applies to cursor movement would be the goal. Is that what this patch does?

Have not tried patch yet Sony Vaio Z1311 3.6.9 kernel.

Thanks in advance!

Shaddan
December 24th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Hi,
I was using this patch and it worked very well for me, but after formatting and trying to reinstall everything I can't find the patch anymore for download.
Would anyone have a link for it.
Thanks.

AnotherMuggle
December 30th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hi,
I was using this patch and it worked very well for me, but after formatting and trying to reinstall everything I can't find the patch anymore for download.
Would anyone have a link for it.
Thanks.

Post #124 of this thread mate.

AnotherMuggle
December 30th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Does this prevent the cursor from moving if touching the 'button' areas of the click pad?

I'd like left/middle/right click to work in the designated bottom area of my clickpad, but I don't want cursor movement to work.

Normally, if I use AreaButtonEdge, it disables touch sensitivity altogether (good because they cursor won't move), but it also kills it's ability to detect 'where' my finger is, thereby killing the right-click area (as such, it registers as left click).

I think a small patch to modify 'AreaBottomEdge' so that it only applies to cursor movement would be the goal. Is that what this patch does?

Have not tried patch yet Sony Vaio Z1311 3.6.9 kernel.

Thanks in advance!

Kind of, but no. Follow the steps in post #124 of this thread to test and remove if it doesn't work as you hoped.

AnotherMuggle
December 30th, 2012, 11:36 AM
What about 3.2.0-35-generic-pae????

I tried with the psmouse-3.2.0-30 but after giving this "sudo modprobe -r psmouse"
my touchpad don't work any more.

My laptop is Lenovo S400

That's fine. That command removes the old driver, so the touchpad will stop working. You need to finish all the steps to reload the new patched driver.

rclai89
January 8th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I used:

psmouse-3.2.0-30-generic-pae.tar.bz2 (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=224326&d=1347990559)

Worked on my HP DV7-T CTO-4000 with my 12.04 LTS 3.2.0-35-generic installation. Thanks a lot AnotherMuggle for the instructions for installation AND uninstallation.

=D>

tux-world
January 12th, 2013, 07:14 AM
hi all which link i can download ubuntu-12.04 for HP TP?

Javi80
January 21st, 2013, 03:34 AM
HP Spectre XT on 12.04

Works, thanks!

hVolo17
February 2nd, 2013, 11:07 PM

Here is what I did:

You are awesome! I've been struggling to get my right click to work and this solves the problem for a HP dm1-3020us. If imaginary internet money exists you can have all of mine.

TuxCrafter
February 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM
System: HP ProBook 4520s WD842EA

I used to have the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/51.clickpad.conf with the Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0" lines, this gave the right button functionality but you still cant use two hands at the same time on the touchpad and sometimes the cursor just jumps to an other part of the screen.

Followed the steps at post #124
Linux arie-laptop 3.2.0-37-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 24 15:28:57 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
psmouse, 3.2.0-30-generic-pae, 3.2.0-37-generic, i686: installed

I still got the same problem, the cursor can jump to an other part of the screen. Also the touch-pad still responses in areas of the mouse buttons you cant use your left hand to press the left button and use your right hand to make an selection and drag the items around.

I hopped the 3.5.0 kernel would fix this but there the right mouse button didn't even work.... I met somebody with a Asus Zenbook that has an similar touch-pad (from the outside) and with the 3.5.0 kernel it worked fine, with two hands and buttons.

So the behaviour of the touch-pad is really unstable (jumping) during production work.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1095169

babadonz
March 2nd, 2013, 04:11 AM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

Dear Friends,

How can I obtain the attached files here?
Nothing shown here.

Thanks.

AnotherMuggle
March 2nd, 2013, 11:42 PM
Dear Friends,

How can I obtain the attached files here?
Nothing shown here.

Thanks.

Post #124 of this thread.

Also the touchpad is perfect out of the box with 12.10. I recently switched to Xubuntu Because the performance is so much better on the low powered HP Mini.

sepulphuric
March 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
Haha wow I had no idea there was even a problem with my touchpad until I came across this post, and that's that I've been running ubuntu for about a month now! O.O
Install was super easy, I copied and pasted the whole way through!

You truly are a superstar AnotherMuggle!
Thank you so much. :)

aj.pai.r
March 5th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Post #131 worked for me. Using HP Envy Spectre 14 3210NR.

Thanks a ton!

IamNotANerd
March 7th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I'm on HP Envy Spectre 14 and followed #124 and it worked. Thank you!!

dheuma
March 11th, 2013, 10:56 AM
HP ProBook 4520s
Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Kernel 3.2.0-38-generic

Post #124
clear and very simple "howto"
works perfectly, thanks very much mate :)

cheguiva
April 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Hello,
I have a big problem with my touchpad with my HP laptop.
I would like to test your patch but I did not find it.
COuld you help me.
Thanks.
K H.

amitsaxena
May 24th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #124 works for HP ProBook 4420s.

Thanks!!!

amisiek
June 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Is there such a patch for 3.5.0-34-generic #55~precise1-Ubuntu SMP on x86_64?

astra-i
October 5th, 2013, 08:21 PM
would you please tell me how to view the attached file?

astra-i
October 5th, 2013, 08:26 PM

3. cd ~/Desktop
6. cd /usr/src
13. sudo dkms status

I mean this attached file!

kantor-d
December 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Would it be possible to create a patch for kernel: 3.8.0-34 THANK YOU!

thomasmcdowal
March 6th, 2014, 09:14 PM
See post #124 - I just followed the instructions not five minutes ago and it worked a charm!

Many thanks for this

mosu90
March 17th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Does patch from #124 enable Left Top led ?

I am on a HP ProBook 4540s, i want to be able to disable the touchpad using left top button.

Thanks and if anybody tried please let me know how it's working.

egsenah2
July 9th, 2014, 07:28 PM
what file should I use for elementary OS Luna?

EDIT:
I made it with -29-generic-pae, worked like a charm. THANKS!