PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No upgrade available?

smiggy
April 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Wotcha peeps,

On 11.10
Just done the following:-

#sudo apt-get update
#update-manager -d -c
No upgrade?

#sudo do-release-upgrade -d
No new release found?

What gives???

:(

Cavsfan
April 26th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Wotcha peeps,

On 11.10

#sudo apt-get update
#update-manager -d -c
No upgrade?

No new release found?

What gives???

:(

I would advise on backing everything important up and doing a clean install. If not there will be a lot of stuff left from 11.10.
I did an upgrade one time and everything went well for a while but, I ended up needing to do a clean install any way. JMO

azcv
April 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I am with ubuntu 12.04 lts beta.I want to upgrade to the final release,but update manager says that my system is up to date.I think that i have to wait for 1-2 days.
Is it even possible to upgrade from beta to final or i will have to make a clean install?Is there an option to save apps and settings over the new install?:confused:

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
the up grade is available I got it about 1am this morning
try this in the terminal .

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Cavsfan
April 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I am with ubuntu 12.04 lts beta.I want to upgrade to the final release,but update manager says that my system is up to date.I think that i have to wait for 1-2 days.
Is it even possible to upgrade from beta to final or i will have to make a clean install?Is there an option to save apps and settings over the new install?:confused:

If you have been keeping up with updates, your system should be up to date. You could wait until 12.04.1 comes out and then do
a clean install.

As far as backing up, I just use my 1TB USB drive to copying what I want to keep then do a clean install.

jadtech, you should precede that withe sudo apt-get update first.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get update

azcv
April 26th, 2012, 04:00 PM

There is no upgrade for me.Maybe i have to wait?Or maybe the problem is tham I am on a 12.04 beta?I don't know.I will wait for a few days and if there is no ugrade i will make a clean install.

Cavsfan
April 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
This is much better than using Update Manager!

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgradeI cannot even get the Firefox update right now, servers too busy I believe. I'm just going to wait.

jerrrys
April 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Wotcha peeps,

On 11.10

No new release found?

What gives???

-d, --devel-release
Check if upgrading to the latest developmental release is possible

dist-upgrade is not the same

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142:u-ocqbntw_o&q=dist+upgrade&sa=Search&cof=FORID:9

The command is:

sudo do-release-upgrade

azcv
April 26th, 2012, 04:09 PM
There is no new version with all the commands.

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 04:11 PM
i was on 12.04 beta here just do all the updates that pop up and you will have the new release ..

azcv
April 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM
i was on 12.04 beta here just do all the updates that pop up and you will have the new release ..

Hm.But my kernel is 3.2.0-23 and in the changelog of 12.04 final the kernel version is 3.2.14?

smiggy
April 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Upgrade option now available, guess was just due to load on servers and/or lag.

Thanks all!

;)

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hm.But my kernel is 3.2.0-23 and in the changelog of 12.04 final the kernel version is 3.2.14?

yup the update I got last night just doing normal update new kernel and so far more then a dozzen other updates

azcv
April 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
yup the update I got last night just doing normal update new kernel and so far more then a dozzen other updates

I guess i have to wait.I have updaded 12.04 beta regularely and i don't think i 'll get a lot of updates.But i want the new kernel.

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 04:36 PM
well all was there about roughly 12;30 EST though at the time I had changed the manager to US servers pretty sure they all cant or dont get new stuff at the same time ..

azcv
April 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
well all was there about roughly 12;30 EST though at the time I had changed the manager to US servers pretty sure they all cant or dont get new stuff at the same time ..

The Greece server gives me 3.2.0-24 kernel.

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM
thats it :)

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM
after you do that and reboot over the next day many more updates will come

pchokola
April 26th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I am also getting a "No new release found" when I issue the "do-release-upgrade" command trying to upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS.

I followed the release notes update instructions exactly:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuServer#From_10.04_to_12.04

Am I under the impression from reading this thread that it is just a matter of overloaded servers on Ubuntu's side?

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM
pretty much that is what it is and the upgrade takes about an hour and half or most in down load and another near 2 hours install so each one upgrading is keeping things tide up a while ..

my recommendation has been to change server where you are getting up grade this seems to be working to a degree ..

thing is you should at the least get the upgrade to 11.04 or 10 avalable though I would think ..

pchokola
April 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
pretty much that is what it is and the upgrade takes about an hour and half or most in down load and another near 2 hours install so each one upgrading is keeping things tide up a while ..

my recommendation has been to change server where you are getting up grade this seems to be working to a degree ..

thing is you should at the least get the upgrade to 11.04 or 10 avalable though I would think ..

Thanks. Will try again in a day or two.

pchokola
April 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks. Will try again in a day or two.

Here is an interesting post to a thread I found regarding the same problem. I am a bit reluctant to try this however, until it is verified from other sources:

" (This is an incomplete answer and needs improvement and testing):
From talking to some developers in IRC it seems that 10.04 to 12.04 upgrades don't get turned on until the point release, 12.04.1.
You need to a do-release-upgrade -d or update-manager -d to upgrade from vanilla 10.04 to 12.04, this will "trick" the upgrader to give you 12.04. "

pchokola
April 26th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Here is an interesting post to a thread I found regarding the same problem. I am a bit reluctant to try this however, until it is verified from other sources:

" (This is an incomplete answer and needs improvement and testing):
From talking to some developers in IRC it seems that 10.04 to 12.04 upgrades don't get turned on until the point release, 12.04.1.
You need to a do-release-upgrade -d or update-manager -d to upgrade from vanilla 10.04 to 12.04, this will "trick" the upgrader to give you 12.04. "

SOLVED ! (AT LEAST MY PROBLEM, NOT NECESSARILY THE ORIGINAL POSTER) I was reading through the "Ask Ubuntu" page and discovered that someone was able to get the upgrade to work following the same instructions that I used. Well I checked the page and they changed the instructions since this morning!!!! They changed "do-release-upgrade" to "do-release- upgrade -d". The old page was up on a different computer so I know for a fact that they changed the instructions. Note the addition of the -d. Now everything works.