PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to 12.04

vishalnshekhar
April 26th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I have ubuntu 11.10 and i want to upgrade it to 12.04 which is the best way to upgrade:
1) By update manager
2) By downloading .iso and format previous one, install ubuntu 12.04
3) By downloading iso file and while installing it give the option to upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 as in this way our files are save.

Is upgrading by option 1 and 3 has same effect???

raja.genupula
April 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
yes 1 and 3 options will give you the same one .
2 one is not come under upgrade , it will be a fresh install .

among the 1 and 3 , i will vote for the 1st way .

c2tarun
April 26th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I have ubuntu 11.10 and i want to upgrade it to 12.04 which is the best way to upgrade:
1) By update manager
2) By downloading .iso and format previous one, install ubuntu 12.04
3) By downloading iso file and while installing it give the option to upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 as in this way our files are save.

Is upgrading by option 1 and 3 has same effect???

I'll suggest you 3rd option, in case if anything goes wrong and you are not satisfied, you can always do a fresh install of latest releast :)

ahso4271
April 26th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I doubt update will be as clean as a fresh install. I'll download, format and install 12.04 after saving some files from my home especially .thunderbird, .mozilla etc. The hidden files usually are apps configs so
you won't lose passwords etc.

Some years back the update option was very bad...

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
jst do the upgrade throught the terminal or manager how ever make sure you have a live cd an know that upgrades can go very wrong at time an require a full install so also back up anything you cant lose ..

c2tarun
April 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
after saving some files from my home especially .thunderbird, .mozilla etc.

To save myself from this situation I keep a separate home partition, doing normal install and then mounting that home partition over /username/home :)

This also saves my data on my home partition, as I have pretty big home partition.

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I doubt update will be as clean as a fresh install. I'll download, format and install 12.04 after saving some files from my home especially .thunderbird, .mozilla etc. The hidden files usually are apps configs so
you won't lose passwords etc.

Some years back the update option was very bad...

actually an upgrade and install are Identical the bigest differance is that an upgrade can save any person setup that already done ..

c2tarun
April 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM
actually an upgrade and install are Identical the bigest differance is that an upgrade can save any person setup that already done ..

Saving proper files from home folder/partition also saves most of the configuration related settings, you just have to install your softwares again.
There was something like
dpkg --get-settings
or something like that will give you the list of packages installed, you can easily install them :)

I also keep backup of /var/apt/archive/*.deb and copy them in new installation, most of the time it simply installes from there without downloading any data or very few data. :)

jadtech
April 26th, 2012, 02:39 PM
yeah that will do it not all have that home partition though