PDA

View Full Version : upgraded laptop CPU, now gets very hot very fast

u-noob-tu
April 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
on monday i received a CPU i bought on ebay and promptly put it in my laptop. The CPU it was replacing was an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz with 2 MB L2 cache. the new one is a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz with 4MB L2 cache. Not that much of an increase in terms of clock speed, but the throughput increase is noticeable. My only problem is it gets very hot, very quickly doing light work. it got up to 90 degrees celcius yesterday while i was using CrystalMark to benchmark it. at the same time, though, it cooled down quickly too. im not sure why this is. i got some decent gold thermal paste to use with it, but i dont think thats the problem. i took apart the laptop completely and cleaned it out as best i could, but it made no difference. anyone have any insight?

haqking
April 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
on monday i received a CPU i bought on ebay and promptly put it in my laptop. The CPU it was replacing was an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz with 2 MB L2 cache. the new one is a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz with 4MB L2 cache. Not that much of an increase in terms of clock speed, but the throughput increase is noticeable. My only problem is it gets very hot, very quickly doing light work. it got up to 90 degrees celcius yesterday while i was using CrystalMark to benchmark it. at the same time, though, it cooled down quickly too. im not sure why this is. i got some decent gold thermal paste to use with it, but i dont think thats the problem. i took apart the laptop completely and cleaned it out as best i could, but it made no difference. anyone have any insight?

did you upgrade the cooling to go with it then ? ;-)

and the best thermal paste in my opinion is arctic silver or indigo extreme but everyone has different opinions on it.

Its all about cooling though, i have a intel i7 2700K and even when playing SWTOR high res and running various VM's at same time it never goes above 30 degrees, idles around 18

mips
April 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Check your thermal paste & make sure the heatsink is properly seated on the cpu.

Remove old thermal paste (on the heatsink & cpu) with alcohol or acetone and apply new Artic Silver 5.

What was the original CPU & new CPU model you replaced it with? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#Notebook_.28m obile.29_processors
What is the laptop make & model?

u-noob-tu
April 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Check your thermal paste & make sure the heatsink is properly seated on the cpu.

Remove old thermal paste (on the heatsink & cpu) with alcohol or acetone and apply new Artic Silver 5.

What was the original CPU & new CPU model you replaced it with? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#Notebook_.28m obile.29_processors
What is the laptop make & model?
The original was an Core 2 Duo T6500, and the new one is a Core 2 Duo T7700. My laptop is a Dell Studio 1737 with 4GB RAM and an SSD.

mips
April 26th, 2012, 01:34 PM
The original was an Core 2 Duo T6500, and the new one is a Core 2 Duo T7700. My laptop is a Dell Studio 1737 with 4GB RAM and an SSD.

You went from a newer 45nm Penryn based chip to a older 65nm Meron based chip with a bigger die size & requiring higher voltages. I suspect your cooler was not designed for this chip and would struggle to keep it cool as I suspect it runs hotter by default.

So if your thermal paste is good and the heatsink is properly seated I suspect the above could be your problem. If you wanted to upgrade you should have stuck with a 45nm Penryn based chip like a T8300 (2.4GHz) which also operates in the same voltage range.

u-noob-tu
April 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM
You went from a newer 45nm Penryn based chip to a older 65nm Meron based chip with a bigger die size & requiring higher voltages. I suspect your cooler was not designed for this chip and would struggle to keep it cool as I suspect it runs hotter by default.

So if your thermal paste is good and the heatsink is properly seated I suspect the above could be your problem. I you wanted to upgrade you should have stuck with a 45nm Penryn based chip like a T8300 (2.4GHz) which also operates in the same voltage range.
i guess i didnt do enough research. its not that big of a loss, as it only cost me $30. thanks for the tip.