PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xubuntu

crapster
April 26th, 2012, 06:40 AM
hi,

Im just wondering, im new to ubuntu and this can sound a little bit stupig.

Im running now ubuntu 12.04 with xubuntu desktop installed, but today their is gonna be a release of xubuntu 12.04.

Is their a difference between the two distro's?
Are is my system the same as the release of to day of xubuntu?

thx

Lemuriano
April 26th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I feel Xubuntu is a little bit lighter than ubuntu with the xubuntu/desktop or xfce4, plus there are some programs indigenous to gnome that in my case I did not plan to use or need.

Regards.

mastablasta
April 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Im running now ubuntu 12.04 with xubuntu desktop installed, but today their is gonna be a release of xubuntu 12.04.

if you just installed xubuntu desktop next to gnome and didn't remove the gnome stuff then you will have soem thigns doubled. e.g. network monitor etc.

raja.genupula
April 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
hi,

Im just wondering, im new to ubuntu and this can sound a little bit stupig.

Is their a difference between the two distro's?
Are is my system the same as the release of to day of xubuntu?

thx

There is no difference between them while coming to main operating system . all will move from same point only .
Environments are different .

if you have Ubuntu 12.04 and Xubuntu 12.04 they will have Unity and XFCE desktops thats the only difference .

so you no need to go for Xubuntu 12.04 upgrade because you already have Ubuntu 12.04 and Xubuntu desktop .

so the updates gonna released for Ubuntu 12.04 and applications Xubuntu desktop will get the updates with out any problem .

and one more thing is i will agree with the point of mastablasta . so if you want to remove the double apps then remove the double which came from Xubuntu dont touch the Ubuntu apps .

let us know if you have any more doubts , we will try our best to help you .,

pratikk
April 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Make sure that you have only one power manager running. I had a laptop overheating inexplicably. Turned out to have both XFCE and Gnome managers running. Disabling one solved the problem.