PDA

View Full Version : 'Hang On' says Google. Cloud is comming

shadowfax1
April 26th, 2012, 12:24 AM
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/04/25/google_drive_for_linux_is_coming

Docaltmed
April 26th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Sorry, Google Cloud. Too little, too late. Ubuntu One already asked me to the prom, and though at first he looked a little scruffy and I didn't really want my parents to meet him, he cleaned up real good. Today, I trust Ubuntu One with my music and everything.

Thanks for the invite, though.

TTFN,

Docaltmed.

Copper Bezel
April 26th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Well, it's more storage than Dropbox comes with by default, and there are still a couple of little bits of my soul I haven't sold to Google yet. I doubt the systray icon will be as pretty. = P

I'm curious about the bit where you can add "comments" to any sort of file. What exactly are they talking about there?

MisterGaribaldi
April 26th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Don't need it. My stuff is already handled, tyvm.

John F
April 26th, 2012, 03:57 AM
The trouble with Ubuntu 1 is that it doesn't support Mac OS (or does it now?). I have one Ubuntu laptop, two Macs that run Ubuntu in a VM, a Mac Mini and a Macbook Air. All need to exchange data and so far DropBox seems to work best in spite of its limitations.

SemiExpert
April 26th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Ubuntu One was actually newsworthy back in the Spring of 2009. Today, a free cloud service isn't even interesting.

kapad
April 26th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Just click on this link for to get dropbox
http://db.tt/IN0I8IhC

I have been using this and it works perfectly. For me integrating to my phone is also very important and this happens automatically. I can also select file to keep constantly synchronized with my phone which is just great.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Does Ubuntu One sync with a local folder, like Dropbox does? Or do you just upload/download things manually?

Docaltmed
April 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Does Ubuntu One sync with a local folder, like Dropbox does? Or do you just upload/download things manually?

It will automagically sync with the folder(s) of your choice.

I wasn't a fan of U1 for its first few years, but they really did get all the bugs worked out. I now have several different computers syncing via U1, nary a hiccup.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Cool. The only thing I can't tell is whether they have a working client for Android or not. It seems like the only thing for Android is a subscription based client for streaming music from your Ubuntu One account. Is that how it is, or do they actually have an Android client where you can access all your files for free?

I consider this on topic because I'm trying to compare Ubuntu One to Google Drive. Hopefully they'll get a client for Linux sooner rather than later. They don't have a problem using Linux to make a profit with Android. ;)

Copper Bezel
April 26th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, one thing that's neat about U1 is that you can sync your entire Documents folder or Pictures folder and so on over multiple machines. It's easy to drop a symlink to a folder in your Dropbox on one machine, but then the files will appear directly within the Dropbox folder on the other machine. Presumably you could trick it with another symlink, but it's extra work when you're setting up a new machine or even just doing a reinstall on an existing one.

Docaltmed
April 27th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Cool. The only thing I can't tell is whether they have a working client for Android or not. It seems like the only thing for Android is a subscription based client for streaming music from your Ubuntu One account. Is that how it is, or do they actually have an Android client where you can access all your files for free?

I consider this on topic because I'm trying to compare Ubuntu One to Google Drive. Hopefully they'll get a client for Linux sooner rather than later. They don't have a problem using Linux to make a profit with Android. ;)

Yup. There's an Android app for it. I have only used it for pictures, but it would appear that you can sync all the other folders as well. It's in the Google Marketplace (or Play or whatever they're calling it now).