PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.04 LTS versus LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) 201204?

SemiExpert
April 25th, 2012, 09:54 PM
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1979 I'm really having to ponder this one? Mate 1.2, when idle, really does use half as much RAM as Unity. That was a surprise, especially since I'm comparing 64-bit vs. 64-bit. I have yet to notice any of the rough edges and quirks that are typical of a Mint release.

Linuxratty
April 25th, 2012, 11:06 PM
[url]. I have yet to notice any of the rough edges and quirks that are typical of a Mint release.

Ran it live a bit ago from a DVD..Felt as comfy as a hammock. Very nice.
This might be the one...It might be.

pizza-is-good
April 25th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Interesting. I may give this a try. In my testing of 12.04b2, gnome shell uses a much more RAM than previous versions of the DE.

schtufbox
April 26th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I switched to LMDE the other day, very comfortable with it. Though I'm using the Cinnamon desktop installed over the XFCE edition..and then XFCE mostly removed :o
Aside from one minor issue (quickly solved) it's perfect :)
That issue being that lib32asound2-plugins isn't in the Mint debian repo's and I needed it for the correct function of some music software I run in Crossover :D I just pulled the deb from debian testing and all was good...probably not the best way to do it but It'll do!

stmiller
April 26th, 2012, 01:08 AM
LMDE is based on Debian testing, so there will be some rough patches here and there, potentially. If you aren't against reading the occasional bug report or mailing list for info should you run across any problems, it is a great distro.

Otherwise regular Linux Mint or Ubuntu is probably a better way to go.

BrokenKingpin
April 26th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Hmmm... might have to give he xfce version a try. I have been waiting for a major update of LMDE to give it another go.

KBD47
April 26th, 2012, 02:19 AM
LMDE is pretty impressive. I'm using 201204 with MATE right now. The only thing I'm not 100% sold on is the update packs. I will likely point to the new Stable sources next year, or maybe even this summer when Wheezy goes into freeze. Then LMDE should be rock solid :-)
KBD47
BTW--yes, it's faster, and lighter than Ubuntu. It also runs cooler than Ubuntu on my netbook by several degrees. Not knocking Ubuntu, just saying.

SemiExpert
April 26th, 2012, 03:47 PM
For the record, LMDE 201204 is the most mature Mint release to date - much more polished that the mainstream flavors of Mint 12. Mate 1.2 is also worthy of being a default desktop environment, and the only criticism I have is that one well known Gnome utility seems to be absent. I've tested it on multiple platforms and idle memory utilization is under 300MB, as compared to under 400MB for gnome-panel, with no effects, on or under 600MB for Unity. I'm very encouraged by LMDE, to the extent that I'd suggest that the Mint community should eventually shift away from an Ubuntu base and go with Debian 7.0 Stable for mainstream releases.

yarmo24
April 26th, 2012, 03:50 PM
This ubuntu has a lot more two it than the other linux:guitar:

Mathor
April 26th, 2012, 03:57 PM
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1979 I'm really having to ponder this one? Mate 1.2, when idle, really does use half as much RAM as Unity. That was a surprise, especially since I'm comparing 64-bit vs. 64-bit. I have yet to notice any of the rough edges and quirks that are typical of a Mint release.

LMDE is pretty solid (with update 4). However, the software in the repo's is not current enough for my tastes, so Ubuntu is the obvious choice.

BrokenKingpin
April 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I like the idea of the rolling release, as I hate the 6 month resintall/major upgrade cycle. Unfortunately, my past attempts with LMDE is that my system seems to break after a few months of running, defeating the purpose. Hopefully things are running a bit more smoothly now.

SemiExpert
April 26th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I like the idea of the rolling release, as I hate the 6 month resintall/major upgrade cycle. Unfortunately, my past attempts with LMDE is that my system seems to break after a few months of running, defeating the purpose. Hopefully things are running a bit more smoothly now.

That's why I wouldn't recommend LMDE as an upgrade path to 10.04 users. However, when Debian 7 goes stable, and assuming that a LMDE user switches to stable sources, you would have an ideal upgrade path for 10.04 users who aren't willing to accept the additional memory usage and learning curve of 12.04.

mamamia88
April 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking of trying the xfce version of LMDE. I tried to install debian xfce via usb on my netbook but didn't have that option with unetbootin so that might be the best option. How hard would it be to strip the stuff from mint I don't want?

quids
April 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM
When I looked at LMDE a few months ago I found that it was quite a way behind on the updates, infact I would go as far to say it represented quite large security risk.

Sure the more advanced user could easily add a few repos and bring it more up to date, but that goes against the idea of Mint being a good distro for Linux newbies.

KBD47
April 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM

I hate to say it but that's my experience too. That's why I will be pointing to the Stable sources when Wheezy goes into freeze.