PDA

View Full Version : which is the best web designing software

piymon
April 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I have a project in which i have to do cloud programming. for that i need a login page through which people can login and synchronized their laptops or computers sitting around the globe.
Now i dont know anything about how to do that and this is my college project and i m told to do the webpage design in php now in window i can use dreamviewer but is there anything similar to that in linux drom which i can make a webpage without writing codes but instaed create it graphically..

thanks for the help.....

corrytonapple
April 25th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Let me ask, what are you getting credit for here? The actual code, or the end result?

Drag and drop designers suck. Why? Invalid code, and it looks bad in half of the browsers used.
Drag n drop also will not code in something so advanced as what you are looking for. A login page, which does what from there? Are they brought to a list of files which they download on their own? Do they download an application which they use to sync files to their computer, such as Dropbox does?

I highly advise not using drag n drop. Especially if you are getting graded on the code, and usability.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 25th, 2012, 02:52 PM
have you checked alternativeto.net?
http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-dreamweaver/?platform=linux

I prefer typing my code myself

if you know javascript php is very easy to learn just takes a couple google searches "[JS function name] in php"
i suggest you start with the include function so you don't have to update 10 copies of your header to add a link

CharlesA
April 25th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Let me ask, what are you getting credit for here? The actual code, or the end result?

Drag and drop designers suck. Why? Invalid code, and it looks bad in half of the browsers used.
Drag n drop also will not code in something so advanced as what you are looking for. A login page, which does what from there? Are they brought to a list of files which they download on their own? Do they download an application which they use to sync files to their computer, such as Dropbox does?

I highly advise not using drag n drop. Especially if you are getting graded on the code, and usability.

+1. I hate drag and drop web designers and those "website builders" that many hosting companies provide. They make the code such a mess. Trying to debug that garbage is a royal pain.

I did my site in Bluefish but it isn't all that complicated.

corrytonapple
April 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Nice to see some valid code on your site Charles.
Looks good. Simple, yet full of good information and scripts.

rg4w
April 25th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hand-coding HTML will get you optimal results, but for simple things it can often just take more time than any optimization will benefit from relative to a simple slap together with a decent GUI tool.

In the Linux world we have relatively few options for that, but I've found Kompozer to be a good time-saver for simple layouts - you can find it in the Ubuntu Software Center.

samalex
April 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM
For HTML IDE's I used to swear by Quanta Plus, but now I use NetBeans for most things since I mainly write most of my sites in PHP. NetBeans works great with HTML, PHP, CSS, JS, the works, plus it has great MySQL integration. It's not a WYSIWYG editor, which most of those are horrid, but overall it's a good editor with some nice perks.

http://netbeans.org/features/javascript/

For anyone who hasn't used NetBeans 7, it's pretty nice.

Sam

CharlesA
April 25th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Nice to see some valid code on your site Charles.
Looks good. Simple, yet full of good information and scripts.

Someone has been spying. ;) Thanks. :)

For HTML IDE's I used to swear by Quanta Plus, but now I use NetBeans for most things since I mainly write most of my sites in PHP. NetBeans works great with HTML, PHP, CSS, JS, the works, plus it has great MySQL integration. It's not a WYSIWYG editor, which most of those are horrid, but overall it's a good editor with some nice perks.

http://netbeans.org/features/javascript/

For anyone who hasn't used NetBeans 7, it's pretty nice.

Sam

+1 to NetBeans. Might not be WYSIWYG, but it works wonders.

lisati
April 25th, 2012, 08:23 PM
In the Linux world we have relatively few options for that, but I've found Kompozer to be a good time-saver for simple layouts - you can find it in the Ubuntu Software Center.
I, too, have found Kompozer useful for quickly crafting individual pages.

For my initial foray into doing something a bit more involved, I used Serif's Web Plus (http://www.serif.com/webplus/) - they have a free version, but both free and paid versions appear to come only for Windows.

As others have noted, coding by hand is often the way to go. This can involve learning basic HTML, probably CSS, and if you're feeling more adventurous, something like PHP.

CharlesA
April 25th, 2012, 08:26 PM
As others have noted, coding by hand is often the way to go. This can involve learning basic HTML, probably CSS, and if you're feeling more adventurous, something like PHP.

Yeah. PHP is quite handy. I use it for some things like my nav bar and headers/footers. I could have used server-side includes as well, but PHP worked for me (tm).

juancarlospaco
April 25th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Vim

or maybe http://maqetta.org

corrytonapple
April 25th, 2012, 11:17 PM
For the application is, PHP is the only option. Python is too of course.

heldemanpieter
April 24th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I think the best is to learn HTML andCSS. I only use a browser and Text Editor from Ubuntu. I have made many plug-ins of my own and this is very fast. For example: Make a stack of Headers, various Nav's, Wrappers, Body etc. save each under a unique name. Now you can just copy and past into your design and have minimal changes to do.

Warren Hill
April 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I use gedit

I get the html I want and I can add php or javascript as required without using a separate editor

Vim

or maybe http://maqetta.org

Vim is good too

abhich
April 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM
simply use bluefish !! nothing beats it !!

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 25th, 2013, 02:27 AM
i use geany (apt:geany)

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Wow. It sounds like the OP had to set up a fairly complex web app using PHP, and he had no idea what he was doing. I wonder how that turned out. Creating a PHP page that can globally sync computers that are logged in is a lot more complicated than using a drag-n-drop web page designer. :lol:

sitex
June 22nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Geany is the best software i have ever used.
not only web designing and developing but also software developing.

Here is how design a hand-coded website with Geany.

www.onlinedegreeprogramsfree.com/web-design/ (http://www.onlinedegreeprogramsfree.com/web-design/)

rewyllys
June 25th, 2013, 02:02 AM
simply use bluefish !! nothing beats it !!
+1 on Bluefish. I rely on it for preparing and modifying Webpages, and I couple it with Filezilla for handling uploads and downloads to and from my Website.

georgelappies
June 25th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Aptana (based on Eclipse) or just KDevelop / Kate.

I personally cannot stand the look of native Java apps so I cannot force myself to use Netbeans it is just to damn ugly ;)