PDA

View Full Version : Should I download 12.04?

Colo2
April 25th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hi.

I'm going to download Ubuntu, and I don't know whether it's advisable to go for the 12.04 release yet?

Thanks

Tom

sffvba[e0rt
April 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hi.

I'm going to download Ubuntu, and I don't know whether it's advisable to go for the 12.04 release yet?

Thanks

Tom

It is 99.9% ready (and shouldn't give you any issues)... if you wait a day you can get the official release image.

Colo2
April 25th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Thank you.

Just out of interest, is a lot likely to change within the next day?

Tom

aykoola
April 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Don't think so. But it's more swaggish to click on the image tomorrow and download it :)

Others: will thenewubuntu.com be active again? I need that licorice to persuade my girlfriend to convert :D

sffvba[e0rt
April 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Thank you.

Tom

Only if any show-stopper bugs are found, but the change will be minimal.

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Thank you.

Tom

Yesterday, I had 3 updates that totaled 1.4MB. Today, I didn't have any updates at all. I doubt if there will be any huge changes.

mips
April 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Thank you.

Tom

If it does you can always use zsync(?) to download only the part of the iso image that have changed so you don't have to redownload the entire iso again. Much faster & uses way less bandwidth ;)

Colo2
April 25th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Thank you :)

Docaltmed
April 25th, 2012, 12:49 PM
12.04 upgrade has been an absolute headache for me.

But on the other hand, every upgrade from 8.04 on has been pretty smooth, so I guess it's just my turn.

Most of my issues have been related to graphics drivers (Nvidia, ATI), and thus not directly attributable to Ubuntu itself.

Although the machine I upgraded two days ago is acting pretty wonky, and it has nothing to do with the graphics thingy.

Go for it, unless you're in a production environment.

TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS
April 25th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I have been using the Beta for quite a while as my day to day OS.... no huge problems for me. Just the occasional hiccup. The Alpha was pretty messy, but with one day to go there are no real issues. Everything has been resolved so far.

bodek
April 25th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I've installed 12.04 few good days ago on Samsung NP400B. So far the experience is great. After initial almost 300MB of updates now there are not many. So, I would not wait (though it is only a day).

PaulW2U
April 25th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I'm running Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu 12.04 here. All working fine. \\:D/

t0p
April 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm a big chicken when it comes to installing LTSs to my desktop. I always wait at least a coupla weeks, maybe sometimes a month, in the hope that all inevitable teething problems are fixed and my machine will run just as well as it did before the upgrade.

Of course, I always experience some teething problems - an app I need won't run on the upgrade, GUI and other System menus and stuff change so I I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go to fix a "problem". But it's better than diving straight in and finding that important apps no longer work the way the way (I think) they should.

Johnny-come-lately, that's me. But it's no big deal to carry on using the previous LTS for a month, it's not like the current LTS is gonna slay me or anything. Maybe wait for 12.04.1... when that hits the downloads you can be pretty well sure all will be well.

ikt
April 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM
The Alpha was pretty messy.

Did you use the 11.04 alpha? Black screen of death for everyone!

I thought the 12.04 alpha was of 11.10 finished quality.

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Not in my experience. I never had any problems with the 11.10 final. I had tons of problems with 12.04 alpha, and I didn't stick with it. It started getting a lot better sometime after Beta1, though.

Linuxratty
April 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Sometimes I wait,sometimes not. I started with the beta of feisty and all went fine..I'd wait till tomorrow..Gives you something to look forward to after supper.

Version Dependency
April 26th, 2012, 01:00 AM

The 11.04 alpha was rough. Of course, the 11.04 official release was pretty rough (easily the buggiest Ubuntu I've used)...but hey, they were building a new DE. I kinda expected that going in.

I installed 12.04 alpha and it was solid, reinstalled when the beta came out...and while I would normally reinstall when the official release comes out, I gotta say...I'm not experiencing any issues at all. I might just go ahead and let it ride.