PDA

View Full Version : Please stop changing the Ubuntu desktop: It works please stop

pars
April 25th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Each time I install ubuntu it is different.

Please stop changing it it works now.

If you want to develop it, develop the same theme.

We learn to use it, then you change it again and again.

Please stop. Thanks.

Pars

s.fox
April 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=302)

zombifier25
April 25th, 2012, 12:11 PM
If you want your beloved classic desktop back, simply

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Morbius1
April 25th, 2012, 01:12 PM
You need to get with the program I'm afraid.

Did you ever wonder why it's called Unity. I don't think it's because it represents a breakthrough in Human understanding and love. It's because the user will find the same interface on all devices it's placed on: the uPhone, the uPad, the uTV, the uLaptop, etc..

The interface will work differently of course depending on what it's placed on since desktops and laptops have these things attached to them - sorry it's been a long time - I think they used to be called keyboards and rodents. No, that's not right.... Mouse! That's it - it used to be called a mouse.

Anyway, Unity is a work in progress so it's design elements and usability characteristics are evolving.

MisterGaribaldi
April 25th, 2012, 01:55 PM
@OP: This is just a message board for users of Ubuntu. Technically, saying "stop" here really means very little since none of us are responsible for what comes out of Canonical.

rg4w
April 25th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Ubuntu us an ever-evolving project.

If you don't want to upgrade then you might consider not upgrading.

dniMretsaM
April 25th, 2012, 09:32 PM

Please stop. Thanks.

Pars

Ubuntu's default desktop has only changed once (From GNOME 2 to Unity). You make it sound like they change every release (other than new minor versions of GNOME 2 and Unity).

Copper Bezel
April 25th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I assumed that's what he meant - the changes in Unity from version to version. It's changed a lot since 11.04.

PaulW2U
April 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM

Each time I've installed Windows it's been different. I started with 3.1, moved to 95, XP and then 7. I hear Windows 8 will be very different although I definitely have no plans to obtain a copy. Like Windows, Ubuntu changes, everything changes.

There are alternatives such as KDE, Xfce and LXDE but most people seem not to want to explore them. :(

KiwiNZ
April 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Note to Mark; Please implement the following ubuntu desktop change immediately as discussed.

QIII
April 25th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Cough! Sputter! Hot coffee shooting out of nose.

dniMretsaM
April 26th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Cough! Sputter! Hot coffee shooting out of nose.

Burning the inside of your nose? Um, ow.

MisterGaribaldi
April 26th, 2012, 03:46 AM
@OP: This is just a message board for users of Ubuntu. Technically, saying "stop" here really means very little since none of us are responsible for what comes out of Canonical.

Note to Mark; Please implement the following ubuntu desktop change immediately as discussed.

Except, obviously, for KiwiNZ.

This actually explains all New Zealand flights I've been hearing about Mark taking lately.

cariboo
April 26th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Except, obviously, for KiwiNZ.

This actually explains all New Zealand flights I've been hearing about Mark taking lately.

Do you actually think that someone who paid the Russians to fly him to the space station, fly's commercial?

QIII
April 26th, 2012, 04:26 AM
They fly New Zealand to Mark.

Mathor
April 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM
If it it works and you're afraid of change, then never get a new piece of software or a new desktop (I did stay on Windows 98 for about 10 years because I hated Vista and XP). Like the rest of the world, however, I'll enjoy my Unity, my Firefox 12, gimp 3.8, and all the rest of the things that adopting to new technology can provide. :)

thatguruguy
April 27th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Good news! 12.04 will be supported for 5 years. Just stick with this LTS, and you won't have to worry about any changes in the interface for the next 5 years.

wojox
April 27th, 2012, 01:28 AM
they fly new zealand to mark.

:p

lalawawa
April 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM
zombifier25, I took your advice and installed gnome. Nothing happened. I rebooted. I'm still facing the ubuntu 11.10 window manager that I loathe. How do I turn gnome on?

I was on 10.04, then I updated firefox, and suddenly firefox had a bug where 30% of the time, when I loaded a new web page, firefox would totally freeze -- all windows of it -- for 2 minutes. There was no way to go back to the old firefox.

I brought this up on the Ubuntu forums, but no solution was forthcoming. After putting up with that for several weeks, I upgraded to 11.04. Something went wrong with the install and it gave me the Ubuntu 10 window manager. Firefox kept freezing.

I eventually upgraded to 11.10, and the Window manager totally changed. Now the OS has a half-life of about an hour -- that is, every hour, there is a 50% chance that the window manager will refuse to respond to keyboard iput or mouse clicks. You can still wave the cursor around, but you can't DO anything until you reboot the computer.

Also, when you drag windows around, they lag the cursor by several seconds, varying degrees of sluggishness. So you have to move windows EXTREMELY SLOWLY if you want to put them in an exact place.

The whole manner of dealing with multiple firefox windows is brain dead.

The window manager is worse than the one in Ubuntu 10 in every way. I don't understand what they were thinking.

dmizer
April 27th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I eventually upgraded to 11.10, and the Window manager totally changed. Now the OS has a half-life of about an hour -- that is, every hour, there is a 50% chance that the window manager will refuse to respond to keyboard iput or mouse clicks. You can still wave the cursor around, but you can't DO anything until you reboot the computer.

Also, when you drag windows around, they lag the cursor by several seconds, varying degrees of sluggishness. So you have to move windows EXTREMELY SLOWLY if you want to put them in an exact place.

Sounds like you have a video driver issue. Have you tried looking at your restricted drivers to see if you can install an Nvidia or ATI driver (depending on your video card)?

lalawawa
April 27th, 2012, 02:47 AM
My video card is NVIDEA GEForce. Any idea how I get an appropriate driver for that?

And why would these new problems crop up with a new Ubuntu when they hadn't been present before? I've been running Ubuntu on this hardware since 2007. Wouldn't the old drivers be good enough?

3rdalbum
April 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM
My video card is NVIDEA GEForce. Any idea how I get an appropriate driver for that?

And why would these new problems crop up with a new Ubuntu when they hadn't been present before? I've been running Ubuntu on this hardware since 2007. Wouldn't the old drivers be good enough?

No, old drivers do not work with new display software and a new kernel.

I suspect your window lagging problem may be due to a high resolution mouse and a bug in Compiz; have you by any chance got a high resolution mouse or a gaming mouse?

Computing is a ride that never slows down and never stops. All computer users must be able to adapt to change. In this case it's not just "change for the sake of change" - it's the necessity to adapt to new types of computing (mobile devices and smart TVs) and update the look of Ubuntu that the users were crying out for since many years ago. It's also a good opportunity to add the kinds of modern features that users of other operating systems have had for some time now.

Ubuntu had to make a change when Gnome 3 came out - either to Gnome 3 or to something different. It might as well be something different.

If we had stopped when things were "good enough" we'd still be using Windows 98 on Pentium 166MHz CPUs.

lalawawa
April 28th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I went to the ubuntu software center and installed "The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components". It was huge and took a long time.

Then I tried rebooting. At no point was I given a choice of what desktop to bring up, so I'm back in the old desktop I don't like. How do I tell it to switch to GNOME?

lalawawa
April 28th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I don't have a high-performance mouse. It's a logitech, generally I buy the cheapest optical mouse in the store.

The only thing high performance on my compute is my monitor, it's 1900 x 1200. And I'm using it through a KVM switch to also use a Windows box (the windows box is a lifesaver when Ubuntu flakes out like it's been doing lately).

Prior to my upgrading firefox while I was on 10.04 several months ago, Ubuntu was stable and fine. The last few months have been major headaches.

3rdalbum
April 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I went to the ubuntu software center and installed "The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components". It was huge and took a long time.

Then I tried rebooting. At no point was I given a choice of what desktop to bring up, so I'm back in the old desktop I don't like. How do I tell it to switch to GNOME?

Well documented on Google and on Ubuntu Forums, but I'll repeat it. At the login screen you click the little cog next to your username, and it bring up a menu where you can choose desktop environment.

Note that Gnome in 11.10 and above is Gnome 3, which is a lot different to Gnome 2. If you wanted Gnome 2, well, it's dead. But you can install gnome-session-fallback to get something that's a bit similar to Gnome 2's desktop layout.

lalawawa
April 28th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks, 3rdAlbum.

I just got an email from my friend explaining the same thing. I'm now on gnome, and my windows drag correctly. We'll see if the cursor lockout still keeps happening.

lalawawa
May 1st, 2012, 03:08 AM
Well, I've tried "GNOME Classic (No effects)". It has the same firefox "30% of web pages cause Firefox to freeze for 2 minutes when you load them" problem that movivated me to upgrade from 10.04 in the first place.

I tried just plain "GNOME". It was OK, the desktop manager not as good as GNOME Classic, but it didn't seem to crash like the "Ubuntu" desktop did. Then I went to reply to a letter in Thunderbird and the display went berserk, totally unusable.

Now I'm trying "GNOME Classic" but not "no effects". Hopefully this one will be the charm.

Mikeb85
May 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM

Unity works better, no matter what the haters say.

Please stop. Thanks.

Pars

Just don't install the new one. People still use Windows XP, what's wrong with using a version of Ubuntu that's a mere couple years old? Or install a new DE, Ubuntu makes it pretty easy.