PDA

View Full Version : Good image browser software?

chickenPie4breakfast
April 25th, 2012, 08:12 AM
To browse my photos and to be able to tag favorites? or put them in categories. On windows I used to use Xnview. I am not bothered abt manipulating photos like increasing brightness etc. I can use Gimp or photoshop (under wine) for that.

codemaniac
April 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Here is a list from which you can try out and choose one .
http://www.tuxarena.com/2011/02/top-5-image-viewers-for-ubuntukubuntu/

chickenPie4breakfast
April 25th, 2012, 08:22 AM
ok thanks - i had just installed shotwell to test but removed it after 5 mins as it imports all photos into it's own library you cant browse normally.
So I am trying Gthumb from the link you gave it seems good but could do with more viewing options.

chugtairizwan
April 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM
@ codemaniac
Thanks buddy for providing the list, it's really helpful for mee.:guitar:

bailout
April 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I think xnview has a linux version. If you are used to it then check that out.

Also that linked list is a bit limited and curiously out of date. Digikam is without doubt the most advanced linux photo organiser but it may be more than you want and is kde. That list has gqview which is a dead project. Geeqie is a forked version that has been developed further and is in the repositories.

eric-yorba
April 25th, 2012, 07:50 PM
ok thanks - i had just installed shotwell to test but removed it after 5 mins as it imports all photos into it's own library you cant browse normally.
Not necessarily -- Shotwell provides the option to "import in place" when you import files, which means no files are copied.

cortman
April 25th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Not necessarily -- Shotwell provides the option to "import in place" when you import files, which means no files are copied.

+1- I use shotwell for organizing, viewing, and quick editing, and like it quite well.

chickenPie4breakfast
April 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I think xnview has a linux version. If you are used to it then check that out.

Also that linked list is a bit limited and curiously out of date. Digikam is without doubt the most advanced linux photo organiser but it may be more than you want and is kde. That list has gqview which is a dead project. Geeqie is a forked version that has been developed further and is in the repositories.

Oh wow you are right - I installed xnview mp 0.39 and it's great
i did't fancy Digikam as it's KDE

alphacrucis2
April 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM
gthumb is ok for this.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 27th, 2012, 12:38 AM
gthumb is ok for this.
Another vote for gThumb. Excellent app for common editing procedures. Couldn't imagine using Ubuntu without it...

lovinglinux
April 27th, 2012, 12:52 AM
There is also the proprietary but free XnView, which is also available for Linux.

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=24056

http://www.xnview.com/en/downloadunix.html

EDIT: Oops, it hasn't been updated for a long time. However, it seems to work okay.