PDA

View Full Version : Which fonts connote respectability, professionalism, seriousness?

hanzj
April 25th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Hello,
We're looking for typefaces that conjure feelings of respectability, trustworthiness, professionalism. Which fonts (at a cost or free) would you recommend?

Lucradia
April 25th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Apparently the word "connote" connotes respectability, professionalism and seriousness. So why bother about fonts?

haqking
April 25th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Hello,
We're looking for typefaces that conjure feelings of respectability, trustworthiness, professionalism. Which fonts (at a cost or free) would you recommend?

There are standards for accepted business which should convey that.

Times new roman
Arial

some say verdana

For documents etc

Peace

Lucradia
April 25th, 2012, 05:43 AM
some say verdana

More like "All standard sans fonts." Tahoma is used more for its compatibility though.

hanzj
April 25th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the responses.

For the typeface to go with a business logo, would the fonts you've recommended still be what you'd recommend?
Stated another way, I'm assuming that what have been recommended thus far (Times New Roman; Arial; Verdana) are good for regular text. But what about for a logo's typeface?

MisterGaribaldi
April 25th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Well, to tell the truth, the most appropriate font is the one which feels the most natural and is the least obnoxious for the particular application at hand. And trying to say what is "appropriate" for a logo is not something you're going to ever have answered in a forum like this, nor indeed even in a professional committee. It's the result of a certain artistic passion, and obviously what's appropriate for the circumstance.

You may find this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki6rcXvUWP0) and the ones in the related search list useful for a beginning. Also, just look through the tons of existing company logos. Something somewhere along the way will grab you. Just run with it and see what happens.

Good luck!

SeijiSensei
April 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I take it you're still designing your company's logo.

Personally I think sans-serif fonts generally fit better with technologically-oriented companies. The widespread shift from serifed to sans-serif fonts seems to have followed the expansion of the Internet. Older, more staid institutions like the New York Times continue to use serifs. The "Times" (Times Roman, Times New Roman, etc.) fonts all harken back to traditional publishing. If you want a slightly more informal serifed font, I've used Century Schoolbook.

You've seen dozens if not hundreds of corporate logos in your life. Which ones did you find appealing? What about the logos for companies in fields related to yours? What do they use? Find some examples you like then try picking compatible fonts.

As I said in my earlier posting, we ended up using a professional designer, and he picked a distinctive font that we had not seen before because it was proprietary.

One issue we faced was how the font would look in upper-case and lower-case versions. Lower-case logos like those for ubuntu and amazon are pretty common these days, but because our company had an unusual name, it turned out to look better in an upper-case "narrow" font.

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2012, 02:37 PM
You probably should stay away from Comic Sans. ;)

rg4w
April 25th, 2012, 03:46 PM
For body copy, Garamond says all that with style.