PDA

View Full Version : What ??x86 are we at now??

Bandit
April 25th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Just had a brain glitch and it hit me. I have no clue what we are running now.. hehe (old age sux)

Back in the old day things were simple 2x86, 3x86, 486, 586 and then 686. The 286 and 386SX were 16bit (IIRC) and 386DX and up was 32bit.. But now we got 64bit CPUs. But are we still at 6x86 Instruction Set Chips? Back in the day if we stayed at the same naming system we should be at 1286's now.. :lolflag:

But seriously, what are we at now. Still 686-64bit or did they just drop that naming scheme all together.. Todays chips are so confusing..

Cheers..

aeronutt
April 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM
"Sandy Bridge" @ 32nm NOW.
"Ivy Bridge" @ 22nm almost NOW. :)
...all known as x86 as far as I can tell. Devil in the details as far as ISA extensions, aka SSE.

haqking
April 25th, 2012, 01:41 AM
...all known as x86 as far as I can tell. Devil in the details as far as ISA extensions, aka SSE.

all known as x86 unless its 64 in which case x86_64 or amd64

actually i think a few vendors refer to it as x64 too, like oracle and MS

Bandit
April 25th, 2012, 01:42 AM

Yea die sizing is getting better and smaller. But I guess they just call them x86 now.. Like there is anything else out worth a lump of dirt.

aeronutt
April 25th, 2012, 01:44 AM

I'm not sure Intel would understand x86_32. :)

Bandit
April 25th, 2012, 01:46 AM

Yea looks like they took our naming scheme away. That used to be an indicator of when to upgrade.. You got a 286, then when 386 comes out you get one of those. Got a 486, then upgrade when 586' came out.. SUch simpler times.. LOL :???:

haqking
April 25th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I'm not sure Intel would understand x86_32. :)

well intel use x86 and Intel 64 and IA 32 which is also known as x86-32 ;-)

aeronutt
April 25th, 2012, 01:47 AM
well intel use x86 and Intel 64 and IA 32 which is also known as x86-32 ;-)

And all the 32 stuff would be called 'legacy'.

haqking
April 25th, 2012, 01:50 AM

who cares, i use a i7...lol

Bandit
April 25th, 2012, 01:50 AM

I guess when we actually do get 7x86 Processors it will be like heavens door just opened up on us and we was all given ice cream.. :D

lisati
April 25th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Just had a brain glitch and it hit me. I have no clue what we are running now.. hehe (old age sux)

Back in the old day things were simple 2x86, 3x86, 486, 586 and then 686.
I kinda got lost and gave up keeping track of that particular numbering scheme about the time Pentiums (and newer) started getting more common. These days I'm happy to use Google to find out what the various names mean when I'm not sure. :D

haqking
April 25th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I guess when we actually do get 7x86 Processors it will be like heavens door just opened up on us and we was all given ice cream.. :D

actually depending what you read the P4 was a i786

rememver the P6 which was like late 90's i think ? was i686

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 25th, 2012, 02:04 AM
...But seriously, what are we at now. Still 686-64bit or did they just drop that naming scheme all together... Todays chips are so confusing...

I think they dropped the numeric naming convention. As I understand it, the old naming convention didn't allow the manufacturer to trademark the name, therefore, they started using names like Pentium, Core 2 Duo, Sandy-Bridge, etc.

Bandit
April 25th, 2012, 02:24 AM
I think they dropped the numeric naming convention. As I understand it, the old naming convention didn't allow the manufacturer to trademark the name, therefore, they started using names like Pentium, Core 2 Duo, Sandy-Bridge, etc.

Ahh.. Makes sense.
I guess no ice cream.. and I was so hoping for praline :(

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 25th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Ahh.. Makes sense.

I am glad it does to you; however, trademark laws don't make a lot of sense to me :)

Penguinnerd
April 25th, 2012, 02:53 AM
I am glad it does to you; however, trademark laws don't make a lot of sense to me :)

Trademark laws are what prevent me from starting my own Distro named "Ubuntu" and taking advantage of someone else's popularity.

Besides, that's completely wrong. They dropped the old x86 naming convention because it doesn't sound as catchy as what they have now. As computers have become an appliance for the masses, the marketing strategy had to change.

That's what it takes to cater to the masses. Shiny polished marketing in exchange for the old system that works. (Does that sound like a familiar complaint?)

3rdalbum
April 25th, 2012, 04:24 AM
They dropped the old x86 naming convention because it doesn't sound as catchy as what they have now.

Probably partly, but I heard that Intel dropped it after AMD released their own "486" CPU, and the courts judged that Intel couldn't trademark a number. Shortly after that, Intel started using words.

mips
April 25th, 2012, 09:36 AM
But seriously, what are we at now. Still 686-64bit or did they just drop that naming scheme all together.

Sandy/Ivy bridge would be Pentium 9 or x986 (80986) but that would not be a very accurate description.

The dropped that naming scheme and you are better off using the Architecture name Intel Core 2, Sandy Bridge etc.

See this table http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86#Chronology

sffvba[e0rt
April 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM
The old naming convention wasn't really that user friendly either... you got a 386SX and a 386DX where the SX was just a 286 and various other anomalies. There was just less so it seemed easier to keep track :)

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I remember when 200MHz Pentiums first came out, and I was really hoping they would come out with a 286MHz Pentium just so I could say I had a new 286 for nostalgia's sake. :)

Grenage
April 25th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Probably partly, but I heard that Intel dropped it after AMD released their own "486" CPU, and the courts judged that Intel couldn't trademark a number. Shortly after that, Intel started using words.

Aye, a looong time ago, when processors had names such as 8085/8294/whatever.

As for the naming of packages, I can't say I miss the old system.

Bandit
April 26th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I remember when 200MHz Pentiums first came out, and I was really hoping they would come out with a 286MHz Pentium just so I could say I had a new 286 for nostalgia's sake. :)

LOL should have over clocked it.

I had a 486DX 66 that I over clocked to 100MHz. I actually did it on accident when setting the bus and clock multiplier manually. It ran so stable and fast I left it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 26th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Trademark laws are what prevent me from starting my own Distro named "Ubuntu" and taking advantage of someone else's popularity.

My post was in response to this one

Ahh.. Makes sense.
I guess no ice cream.. and I was so hoping for praline :(

I thought Bandit might have been referring to the phone and tablet platform Android 4.0 called Ice Cream Sandwich. I would like to see someone try to Trademark "ice cream sandwich" or "ice cream".

My post was meant as satire. :D

Bandit
April 26th, 2012, 01:29 AM
My post was in response to this one

I thought Bandit might have been referring to the phone and tablet platform Android 4.0 called Ice Cream Sandwich. I would like to see someone try to Trademark "ice cream sandwich" or "ice cream".

LOL you reminded me I still have ice cream in the freezer.. hehe

Penguinnerd
April 26th, 2012, 02:31 AM

Oh, okay. Got it. I've been spending too much time on the Debian forums, if you know what I mean...

jwbrase
April 26th, 2012, 06:07 AM
The old naming convention wasn't really that user friendly either... you got a 386SX and a 386DX where the SX was just a 286 and various other anomalies.

Not quite: The SX had a 16 bit external data bus and 24 bit external address bus like the 286, but it had paging, 32 bit internal registers, etc, which the 286 didn't have.

Basically, it looked like a 386 to programmers and like a 286 to external hardware.

Bandit
April 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I got a 386DX in my dads attic. Wonder if I can run something kewl on it.. hehe
I think any GUI may be a touch to much.. :lolflag:

Zildjian
April 26th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Haha I remember my 486DX4 120MHz powerhouse, windows 3.11 ftw

lisati
April 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Playing round with an NEC V20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEC_V20) might have been interesting too, notwithstanding a bad experience I had with some ASM code developed on a '286 MS-DOS machine that didn't work quite as expected on one of the NEC chips: the result was a seriously corrupted database on a machine used by a local community group, and the newest backup I had access to was a couple of months old.

Bandit
April 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Haha I remember my 486DX4 120MHz powerhouse, windows 3.11 ftw

My best friend bought a HP P60 and was so excited about having a "Pentium". My PC ran circles around his. Of course I had 16MB of RAM also in my box. But his still had 8MB. I think he had to get a P120 before it was noticeably any faster.. That 486 was my first AMD chip and been true to that company since then. But the way the FX series is performing, they better put out something soon that is awesome or it looks like Intel is going to my next stop with the i7-3770k, little quad core is kicking butt and taking names. :)

I thought about that little DX, I had Win95 running on it at one time. Slow, but it ran none the less. Would make a nice Linux terminal box or some firewall application. Thats the only reason I still have it put up.

Zildjian
April 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM
My best friend bought a HP P60 and was so excited about having a "Pentium". My PC ran circles around his. Of course I had 16MB of RAM also in my box. But his still had 8MB. I think he had to get a P120 before it was noticeably any faster.. That 486 was my first AMD chip and been true to that company since then. But the way the FX series is performing, they better put out something soon that is awesome or it looks like Intel is going to my next stop with the i7-3770k, little quad core is kicking butt and taking names. :)

I thought about that little DX, I had Win95 running on it at one time. Slow, but it ran none the less. Would make a nice Linux terminal box or some firewall application. Thats the only reason I still have it put up.

Ha yes I remember installing windows 95 on it eventually from some 13 floppydisks, though I still preferred good old DOS for its speed in games/emulators, I guess that's why its nice using a terminal in linux where as the only thing I'd use it for in windows these days is the occasional ping command.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I got a 386DX in my dads attic. Wonder if I can run something kewl on it.. hehe
I think any GUI may be a touch to much.. :lolflag:

That would run Windows 3.11, wouldn't it? You should try kolibriOS on it. It's an OS with a GUI that fits on a floppy disk.