PDA

View Full Version : Amazon carrying Ubuntu operating system DVDs :-)

mylinuxbookmarks
June 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
(Sorry if this is old news)

In my search for bargain Linux CDs I noticed that Amazon is taking Pre-Orders for Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.06 LTS!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/store-name=software&index=software&search-type=ss&field-manufacturer=Canonical%20Ltd%20%28Consignment%29/102-8699188-9810547

This is pretty exciting stuff! :)
Does anyone know the estimated time Amazon will get these in stock?
I would like to order a few.
Thanks for any info.

Edit: oops I see the date...June 22nd. That's what I get for web surfing when I first wake up. :P

frodon
June 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I'm always disapointed to see how some companies make money with everything.

You can order your ubuntu CDs for free there :
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

curuxz
June 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I'm always disapointed to see how some companies make money with everything.

You can order your ubuntu CDs for free there :
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

These are DVD editions not availble through ShipIt

aysiu
June 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM
If official Ubuntu DVDs are sold on Amazon, I'm willing to be some or most of the profits are going to Canonical. Amazon isn't the only one benefiting from it.

And, as curuxz pointed out, DVDs are not available at ShipIt... and could take two months to arrive.

Kvark
June 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM
$10 to get a DVD disk with tons of programs from Amazon within a couple days instead of a CD with only the default programs from Shipit within a couple weeks and then have to download any additional programs you want... Sounds like a great deal for those who doesn't have broadband!

And I'm sure Canonical gets a part of the profit. Yeah I know Ubuntu is free software so anyone can fork/rebrand it and sell their rebranded fork like Ubuntu does with Debian. But "Ubuntu" is a trademark, a protected identity and reputation. I'm pretty sure a serious site like Amazon wouldn't dare make money on Ubuntu's popularity without having an official deal with the trademark owners.

frodon
June 14th, 2006, 04:50 PM
It seems that the DVD don't include that but just the Desktop/Alternate and Server edition of the selected architecture.

Kvark
June 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM
It seems that the DVD don't include that but just the Desktop/Alternate and Server edition of the selected architecture.

Comprehensive DVD with desktop and server installation, alternate installation (e.g., OEM install), plus all of the supported add-on software and translations for dozens of languages
I read "all of the supported add-on software" as "everything in the main repos but not the stuff in universe/multiverse".

frodon
June 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I agree, there's no additional value but the delivery service and the 3CDs in one DVD and obviously the packaging from what i understand (i'm not a native speaker).

aysiu
June 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Those are a lot of advantages:

1. Fast delivery
2. More package availability (for dial-up and non-networked users)
3. Official look

and

4. Money probably goes to supporting Ubuntu

Those four points are nothing to sneeze at.

Brunellus
June 14th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I agree, there's no additional value but the delivery service and the 3CDs in one DVD and obviously the packaging from what i understand (i'm not a native speaker).
Some drink water from taps. Others from bottles.

Christmas
June 14th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Nice, as long as they are not delivered through ShipIt i say why can't they make money with that? Lots of small companies make money by selling free distros CDs for little price and as long as its legal its OK. From what I see in the picture the cover is nicely designed, not an ordinary one, if it's the same with the DVD too then that's a nice catch I'd say. I'd buy some if I really needed them.

bruce89
June 14th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I'd like to see Amazon UK doing these at some point. I thought that mabye instead of computer shops having AOL CD's at the counter, they should have Ubuntu.