PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem in installation

kathiajay
April 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I have windows 7 on my hp laptop.I just installed ubuntu-10.04.While installing i selected "erase and use entire disk".Now i can boot only ubuntu all my data is gone.Please someone help me how to recover my data.

ronaldbrijo
April 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
U have erased windows and all the data on it.

U need to get a data recovery program to find files.

Rex Bouwense
April 24th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Whichever data recovery program that you try to use, I would stop using the laptop right now because the more you use it the more hard disk space will be overwritten (if that is a word). When you told the installer to use the entire disk to install it reformatted the hard drive before it installed so some if not all of your data may have been overwritten. Good luck. There are many recovery programs out there. There next time you do this you will know to back up your data. Don't feel bad. Most of us have done that at one time or another.

Scott Baker
April 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
By now, you've already figured out the bad news. That data is gone. When you write Ubuntu to the entire disk, the way the files are written is changed on the disk. It's like taking a book written in one language, and re-writing it in another. It will work, but not the way you may want it to. If you need Win7 back, you'll need to reinstall it from a disk. Sorry for the bad news, but hope this helps a little ](*,)

kathiajay
April 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Thank you all,now I am feeling good after i got some help from u

Now i understood i need to do two things to get my data back

1)need to install windows
2)run a recovery software

I need some help to do this

1)need to install windows :
I have windows-xp CD.Even i keep cd in my laptop drive it is going to ubuntu

2)which is the best recovery software to use
Can i get it free or i need to buy it

techsupport
April 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Thank you all,now I am feeling good after i got some help from u

Now i understood i need to do two things to get my data back

1)need to install windows
2)run a recovery software

I need some help to do this

1)need to install windows :
I have windows-xp CD.Even i keep cd in my laptop drive it is going to ubuntu

2)which is the best recovery software to use
Can i get it free or i need to buy it

If you have wiped the partition, the data may still be there.. It sounds like you want help with data recovery.

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/how-to-use-photorec-for-data-recovery-in-ubuntu-linux/

You can use the free Ubuntu software in the above link to do-it-yourself, or you can ship the computer to a data recovery company to do it for you. If you want to preserve your data that you have lost, turn off the computer. Boot from a live stick of Ubuntu (hopefully you have made a rescue stick of Ubuntu) as to not do any more read-writing to the hard drive that contains your missing data. Use the instructions in the above link, or turn off your computer and call a data recovery company to ship out your computer directly to them for support. The more you use the computer that contains your missing data, the likelihood of it being overwritten accidentally FYI.

Reinstalling Windows will do more harm than good if you want to recover your data back that you erased.

:guitar:

kathiajay
April 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
thank you for the help,

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011...-ubuntu-linux/ (http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/how-to-use-photorec-for-data-recovery-in-ubuntu-linux/)

I followed the above link to data recovery.Recovery is in the process but i checked few folders of recovery data it is not at all readable.

Rex Bouwense
April 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Some or all of the data may not be readable because you installed over it. Sorry. Back up all your data. If you do not back up, it is not important to you. That should be your guide. As I said most of us have done at least once.