PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 Unity-2d Nautilus "list view"

petvet2
April 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I have configured Ubuntu 11.10 unity-2d Nautilus "list view" with columns "Name" and "Size". Nautilus "list view" preference works in my opinion rather inconveniently. When one (or several) file- or folder names in the Nautilus window exceeds the current column width, Nautilus pushes the "Size" column to right, out of sight - if you don't scroll vertically or resize =increase the column width to accommodate the "Size" column in your view. This resizing usually screws up your desktop window layout and renders you work cumbersome and difficult. The aforementioned first possibility of scrolling to the right in the Nautilus window in order to get the "Size" column in view usually renders the column with file- and folder names obscure. This highly undesirable phenomena can be compared to working with an Internet browser: Scrolling up and down is ok, but having continuously to scroll to the left and the right is not acceptable for a good work flow. Earlier versions (2.x) of Nautilus excellently truncated long file- and folder names at the end(s), always keeping the "Size" column in view, resulting a fully comprehensible view of all files and folders.
Two 'Nautilus scrolls' (same movie file):
View 1: Amadeus.1984.DC.PROPER.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-PerfectionHD.mkv (but because the "Size" column is pushed out of view, you have no clue of the file size)
View 2 (scrolled to the right): 1984.DC.PROPER.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-PerfectionHD.mkv 20.5 GB (Now you know the file size but unfortunately the movie could be almost anything ever filmed). And it is of course needless of me to point out that folders often contains several files, which makes things so much more worse.

I Greatly appreciate any advice.

jerrrys
April 24th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Something to try in nautilus:

Edit>Preferences>Columns have same width

petvet2
April 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Something to try in nautilus:

Edit>Preferences>Columns have same width

Thanx for your swift reply, unfortunately that setting only apply to 'compact view' which does not suit my purposes.

Titanet
September 6th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Same problem in Ubuntu 12.04 with Nautilus 3.4.2. And i didn't saw any setting to change for this crazy behavior in Dconf tool editor.