PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash Stand Alone Player

More or Less
April 24th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I got flash to load in the browser as a plugin, but how do you get the stand alone player to work?

anejo
April 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Gnash plays a limited set of swf files... as does Gecko

More or Less
April 24th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I wasn't looking to play .swf files with it. In windows you can play .exe files. My understanding is that this is not through the browser plugin in Firefox but a standalone player.

I know we can't play .exe files in ubuntu, but I thought maybe I could use Wine. However, I am only able to see the one frame of the .exe file. After that it won't continue. I thought maybe it needed a similar player as in Windows, not just something to play .swf files.

jerrrys
April 24th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I do not run exe files, but though this may help

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142:u-ocqbntw_o&q=play+.exe+files&sa=Search&cof=FORID:9

techsupport
April 25th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I wasn't looking to play .swf files with it. In windows you can play .exe files. My understanding is that this is not through the browser plugin in Firefox but a standalone player.

I know we can't play .exe files in ubuntu, but I thought maybe I could use Wine. However, I am only able to see the one frame of the .exe file. After that it won't continue. I thought maybe it needed a similar player as in Windows, not just something to play .swf files.

I've never heard of an executable video file in Windows except for viruses and spyware types of files. Where did you find this exe video file??? Maybe it was a winzip file that is a self-archiving exe file? I don't know. I don't understand why that would present one frame of video though if it was still compressed in WINE :S That's Weird.

If you want to watch flash videos in VLC, you would need to download them first with a Firefox Add-on plugin and then open them in VLC.

Here is a nice guide to get your setup with what you would need to do that:

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-12-04-lts-aka-precise-pangolin/

If that is what you want to do of course.

lovinglinux
April 26th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I've never heard of an executable video file in Windows except for viruses and spyware types of files. Where did you find this exe video file??? Maybe it was a winzip file that is a self-archiving exe file? I don't know. I don't understand why that would present one frame of video though if it was still compressed in WINE :S That's Weird.

If you want to watch flash videos in VLC, you would need to download them first with a Firefox Add-on plugin and then open them in VLC.

Here is a nice guide to get your setup with what you would need to do that:

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-12-04-lts-aka-precise-pangolin/

If that is what you want to do of course.

I think the OP is referring to Projector files, which are flash swf with a standalone flash player bundled with it as a portable executable.

If that is the case, then you could try to run it through Wine.