PDA

View Full Version : Encoding CD's

rmcellig
April 23rd, 2012, 11:25 PM
I have about 400 Audio CD's I need to encode. At the moment I am using iTunes on my iMac to rip the CD's to MP3 format. Is there anything in Linux that will allow me to do this? I tried Asunder but that is a dedicated ripping app. I was looking fo a music player like iTunes that allows you to encode CD's.

Regarding ripping apps, is there anything that might be better than asunder?

koleoptero
April 24th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I haven't tried many, but I have used rhythmbox (which is default in 12.04) and it worked just fine. You can't get closer to itunes than that I believe.

rmcellig
April 24th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Great. So I can encode CD's with Rhythmbox. I will give it a try.

chili555
April 24th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I like abcde. It's a command-line application. You specify your parameters (mp3, flac, etc.) in a .conf file and drop the CD in the tray. Invoke in a terminal:
abcdeThat's all there is to it.

Bandit
April 24th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I have about 400 Audio CD's I need to encode. At the moment I am using iTunes on my iMac to rip the CD's to MP3 format. Is there anything in Linux that will allow me to do this? I tried Asunder but that is a dedicated ripping app. I was looking fo a music player like iTunes that allows you to encode CD's.

Regarding ripping apps, is there anything that might be better than asunder?

GRIP.. Nothing beats this.. Nothing...
Make sure you install LAME and CDParanoia, think CDParanoia may be part of a tool package now. Not sure..

dniMretsaM
April 24th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Rhythmbox can rip CD's if you install a plugin. Not sure what it's called. Search for it in Synaptic/USC.

Bandit
April 24th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Sound Juicer is good if you like simple UI's.

rmcellig
April 24th, 2012, 02:48 AM
What is GRIP and where can I download it from, same goes for abcde,

Thanks!

Bandit
April 24th, 2012, 02:52 AM
What is GRIP and where can I download it from, same goes for abcde,

Thanks!

Should be in repos..

http://sourceforge.net/projects/grip/

Steeperton
April 24th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I believe that grip is no longer maintained (for a few years now).

abcde is the most powerful tool I've come across. See this site (by someone from this forum) for a good user guide:
http://www.andrews-corner.org/abcde.html

3rdalbum
April 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM
GRIP wasn't that good anyway. It was quite slow because it ripped to WAV first, and then compressed the result afterwards, whereas the better programs will compress the data as it comes off the CD.

Bandit
April 24th, 2012, 10:59 AM
GRIP wasn't that good anyway. It was quite slow because it ripped to WAV first, and then compressed the result afterwards, whereas the better programs will compress the data as it comes off the CD.

Depends on how you look at that, with slower machines, you could rip disc left and right and then let grip finish encoding you MP3s. The other way it has to keep spinning your drive which wears it out over time.

But now modern PCs are fast enough to Rip/Encode on the fly without that hassle..

andrew.46
May 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM
I believe that grip is no longer maintained (for a few years now).

Mind you abcde has been a little quiet for some time as well :(.

Erik1984
May 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM
Like mentioned Rhythmbox has a built-in CD ripper but it stopped fetching album information after an update of the MusicBrainz API. Are those issues fixed in the version of Rhythmbox that comes with Precise?

ssam
May 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM
soundjuicer has been fixed in 12.04 to use the new musicbrainz api.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sound-juicer/+bug/797473
i'd suspect that this means that rhythmbox is fixed too.

personally i tend to rip with sound juicer, and play with rhythmbox. it seemed harder to control options when ripping in rythmbox.

andrew.46
June 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Mind you abcde has been a little quiet for some time as well :(.

Perhaps I should correct myself here, looks like some work underway:

http://code.google.com/p/abcde/source/list

and good to see r313, this is a patch I collected and sent in 3 years ago :).