PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to upgrade Ubuntu 11.10 to 12.04 on a dual boot system?

User_
April 23rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
I am currently running Ubuntu 11.10 (64-bit) and Windows 7 on my laptop and I am considering upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 through the update manager. The thing is that I don't want to mess up my dual boot setup and to still be able to choose between the two on each startup.
Is there any tutorial or advice that I can follow in order to achieve a perfect upgrade? Thanks in advance!

jadtech
April 23rd, 2012, 10:14 PM
up grade is pretty touchy depending on your processor and graphic card..

i manage the upgrade finally with my 64bit AMD and AMD ati graphocs and is working great but this is after weeks of reading testing failing and re installing :)

here is some tips upgrade

install python-apt first

then do an upgrade from the terminal current release

don't even make the attempt until you have a load of free time on your hands once you start you cant stop or everything will be messed up the upgrade took me about 3 1/2 hours maybe a bit more from start to finish ..

it should not mess up your dual boot but there is never any guarantee there you should make sure you make a win recovery cd and a live cd for ubuntu also make sure you have a recovery partition or have windows instal cd

you can get details on how I got the upgrade to work by reading the detail here ..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/924079