PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu will not load, How to reinstall.

jquillian
April 23rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
I have Ubuntu installed on one partition and windows on another.

Ubuntu will no longer load.

Is there a simple way to erase the old load and replace it with a new one?

I have already burned a copy of the latest 64 bit version.

I want to make sure I don't write on the windows partition.

kc1di
April 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM

Is this a wubi install or regular install?

finnbob3334
April 23rd, 2012, 09:08 PM

If the install is in two partitions, then the simplest way to replace Ubuntu is to insert your Live CD/USB and reinstall. When you get to the partitioning stage, make sure that "Format" is selected on the Ubuntu partition and that you use a decent filesystem like ext4. This will wipe the old install and install Ubuntu.

Hope this helps!

darkod
April 23rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
If the install is in two partitions, then the simplest way to replace Ubuntu is to insert your Live CD/USB and reinstall. When you get to the partitioning stage, make sure that "Format" is selected on the Ubuntu partition and that you use a decent filesystem like ext4. This will wipe the old install and install Ubuntu.

Hope this helps!

To add to this, to be precise.

To use existing partition you will have to use the Something Else (manual) option. Otherwise it will just install along side the existing windows and ubuntu. Ubuntu will never overwrite existing partitions unless you specifically tell it to.

When you enter the manual partitioning step, you will have to select the root partition, click the Change button below, and change the Do Not Use into ext4. Tick the format box. Select mount point /.

Be careful to select the correct partition. You can tell by the partition size and also by their filesystem. The windows partition will have ntfs, the ubuntu will have ext4.
That should be it.