PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nautilus 'make link'

petvet2
April 23rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
In Ubuntu 10.10 / Nautilus you could conveniently create a link/links to one or several files or folders in a way that the links were placed i the main folder you had open for this purpose (displayed on the title bar).
With 11.10 this appears impossible. All links you make are placed in the same location as the actual file(s)/folder(s). To avoid naming conflicts this results in an annoying 'link to'-prefix. It is also inconvenient to collect several links from several different locations instead of one location. In case of making links to say 50 movies (or other files/folders) there is a tiresome renaming process (if you don't accept names like 'Link to Halloween' etc. Alphabetical sorting is also garbled if you have actual files and (not renamed) 'link to' -files in the same folder. Is there any medicine to this?

LewisTM
April 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
While dragging-and-dropping your files to another location, hold both Ctrl and Alt. You cursor will turn into a chain link and the dropped files will become links to the originals, with their names untouched.

Cheers!

petvet2
April 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
While dragging-and-dropping your files to another location, hold both Ctrl and Alt. You cursor will turn into a chain link and the dropped files will become links to the originals, with their names untouched.

Cheers!
Thanks LewisTM, you saved me from a certain premature, stress related death!!
(works with CTRL + SHIFT on my system)
Again many thanks.

LewisTM
April 23rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
Of course Ctrl-Shift is what I meant, just wanted to make you work a little ;)
Glad this will extend your life a few more days, please mark at SOLVED.