PDA

View Full Version : Secure Boot

un-original
April 22nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have kept hearing about how when secure boot is implemented with windows 8 that it will stop dual booting with linux. But, will it stop a straight up install of linux without windows.

In my understanding it will, the secure boot prevents any unrecognised os boot loader from running, So if this is the case, why is everyone only talking about dual booting.

Sorry if this is a silly question, don't know much about computers.

Paqman
April 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
All x86 machines will have an option to disable secure boot in the UEFI, but ARM machines won't. So unless you go ARM, it's unlikely to be an issue.

grahammechanical
April 23rd, 2012, 03:42 AM
Complain to the makers that they are loosing customers.

The other month I watched a video by a Redhat developer who was working on the secure boot thing. His biggest moan was that there was not much standardization by the motherboard makers.

There was a specification alright but it was being implemented in different ways.

Windows 8 is not yet released. There are no Windows 8 machines. So, there is only dual booting to talk about.

So, make sure that you buy a motherboard that allows you to disable Secure Boot without voiding the guarantee.

Don't buy Windows 8 machines. Insist on a machine that has Ubuntu on it.

Regards.

Primefalcon
April 23rd, 2012, 04:55 AM
talk with your money.... buy system76! they some uver great rigs on there

https://www.system76.com/

Copper Bezel
April 23rd, 2012, 06:01 AM
All x86 machines will have an option to disable secure boot in the UEFI, but ARM machines won't. So unless you go ARM, it's unlikely to be an issue.
Which really has to be a shot at Android, since Android is ARM-focused right now.

szymon_g
April 23rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
yeah, right
Apple and RIM also "shoot" at Android- on their devices you are also unable to install Android!
but, well, because it has something to do with MS (oops, M$) than it has to be bad, right?

Copper Bezel
April 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
No, and it's not a comment on MS, either. But neither RIM nor Apple stepped into a market that looked like this one, and neither is simultaneously marketing an Intel-based version of its respective tablet OS.

Paqman
April 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
but, well, because it has something to do with MS (oops, M$) than it has to be bad, right?

I don't really think that's where Copper Bezel was going with that dude. FWIW I think he's completely correct. Microsoft are in the enviable position (for a software company) of being able to dictate to the hardware manufacturers, and it's understandable that they'll do so in a way that favours their products over the competition.