PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 11.10 after failing

spa21788
April 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Hello,

I carelessly deleted my ubuntu partition (80gb approx) on my laptop, which is dual booted for ubuntu 10 and windows 7, because I deleted the partition my boot loader doesn't work.

I put ubuntu 11.10 on my memory stick and attempted an install, I was warned that if I didn't have 2.4gb on each partition the installion might fail, which it did, now when I try to re-install it brings me to the partition table, which I cannot understand :(

I was hoping someone could explain the steps I need to take to fix my stupid mistake!

Attached are some screens to hopefully help in the process.

Thanks in advance.

jerrrys
April 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
You may be able to save the existing install with TestDisk.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

spa21788
April 23rd, 2012, 12:43 AM
I would but I can't get an operating system to run, except ubuntu from my stick, how can I run the executable?

darkod
April 23rd, 2012, 12:55 AM
I would but I can't get an operating system to run, except ubuntu from my stick, how can I run the executable?

Testdisk can be run in ubuntu live mode.

LinuxFan999
April 23rd, 2012, 01:01 AM
Hello,

I carelessly deleted my ubuntu partition (80gb approx) on my laptop, which is dual booted for ubuntu 10 and windows 7, because I deleted the partition my boot loader doesn't work.

I put ubuntu 11.10 on my memory stick and attempted an install, I was warned that if I didn't have 2.4gb on each partition the installion might fail, which it did, now when I try to re-install it brings me to the partition table, which I cannot understand :(

I was hoping someone could explain the steps I need to take to fix my stupid mistake!

Attached are some screens to hopefully help in the process.

Thanks in advance.
Shrink the large NTFS partition (/dev/sda3) untill there is enough room to expand one of the ext4 partitions to the size required for Ubuntu, then use it (the ext4 partition you chose to expand) as a / (root) partition.