PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Tint2 is a good replacement bottom panel in Unity

Wtwine
April 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hi all

If you are running your machine on Ubuntu 11.10 + and are as frustrated as I am that Unity and Gnome 3 have done away with the bottom panel, then Tint2 is a good solution (alternative to installing Gnome 2 panels and then deleting top panel, or running Gnome fallback mode). Just like old Gnome 2 bottom panel, Tint2 enables you to see all your open files/applications at a glance, and open any one of them with a single click. How doing away with this function was viewed by developers of Unity and Gnome 3 as a way of improving efficiency is beyond me, but this is not the place for whining and ranting!

So, just install Tint2 from Ubuntu software center. You can also install a GUI (Tint2wizard) for customising it, but I actually found it easier to just edit the configuration file (~/.config/tint2/tint2rc) using Gedit. I increased the task font size to 10, disabled clock and date as this is already in my Unity top panel, set panel size to 97% and position to right so that it doesn't overlap with Unity side panel on the left, and enabled autohide so that the Tint2 bottom panel only appears if I hover my mouse over the bottom of the screen.

Now I'm a happy camper with Unity once again, and I think I even prefer my Tint2 bottom panel to the old Gnome one!

I hope this is useful to somebody who has not stumbled upon Tint2 yet.

Cheers
Wayne