PDA

View Full Version : Sigh... Windows, just worked.

xmastree
June 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM
So my friend gave me his PC to look at. It was dead. Having confirmed that it was indeed dead, and the shop wasn't lying, I offered to fix it for him.
It's for his 8 year old son, and I was planning to put Ubuntu on it and plenty of educational stuff as well as the usual games.
No problem for him, he's happy with that, especially as I told him that his son wouldn't be able to destroy the system files or similar.

But I just couldn't get the install to work. ](*,)

Its' a Celeron 600, 128MB, 20GB and I tried to use the whole disk. Each time it would fail during the partitioning, but at a different %ge. I tried different install discs, a different CD drive, different versions (right back to 4.10) but nothing could get past the partitioner.

Eventually I put Windows 98 on it and it went without a hitch. :-(

Unfortunately I ran out of time, as I'm out of here tomorrow and I want to return it first.

Damn, so frustrating!

Too late now, I'm just venting.

jason.b.c
June 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Try Puppy Linux (http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm)

:razz:

Screenshots (http://www.puppylinux.org/user/photogallery.php?album=3)

xmastree
June 14th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Well, it's too late now anyway, and I wanted to install something I'm familiar with.

jason.b.c
June 14th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Well, it's too late now anyway, and I wanted to install something I'm familiar with.

Why's it too late..?? Just start over again..???:D

xmastree
June 14th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Because if I do that, I'm likely to miss my plane... :rolleyes:

I ran out of time, as I'm out of here tomorrow and I want to return it first.
Out of here means going back to the UK for some time. In fact, I really ought to be preparing my things...

Jucato
June 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Well, I guess it's too late by now, but were you installing Dapper? Maybe you would have had a better outcome with Breezy.

Anyway, happy and safe trip!! (will you be coming back to the Philippines?)