PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB message "no kernel found"- Dual boot-new installation

An2345
April 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Hello, I'm a complete beginner if it comes to Ubuntu/ Linux. Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 11.10 as a dual boot with Windows Vista on my Toshiba Satellite A300. I chose option 'install alongside Windows" and automatic partition. The installation process went fine and I was asked to restart the system, which I did. The problem was that after restart I had no option to choose the system, GRUB didn't appear and Windows was restarting automatically.I found some instructions in the web and using live CD and option 'try Ubuntu without installing' I went to terminal and tried to install GRUB myself. Not such a great idea, as it must have mounted or installed incorrectly. Now on boot I can only see Grub message saying:
GNU GRUB version 1.99-12ubuntu5
And it's waiting for a command.
When I enter 'boot' it says 'no loaded kernel'.

I tried to re-install Ubuntu but it makes no difference.
I would really appreciate any help on this, as I can't get to any of the OS now!
Thank you in advance
An

darkod
April 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Go into live mode again and run the boot info script from the link in my signature. Post the results as explained there. That will show more details of the setup.