PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Precise On Your Computer For Five Years?

KBD47
April 22nd, 2012, 04:08 AM
Just curious how many people plan to keep Precise 12.04 on your computer for 5 years?

I actually plan on keeping Xubuntu 12.04 for three full 3 years of its LTS release on two of my computers, and Ubuntu based Mint on one of my computers for its full 5 years of support.
KBD47

iponeverything
April 22nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
a lot changes in 5 years. At this point I am not sure I will install it at all.

jerrrys
April 22nd, 2012, 06:07 AM
Im still happy with 10o4 so I vote yes, it could happen.

kalkems
April 22nd, 2012, 06:28 AM
At work we will be staying with 12.04 the next 5 years. I will be uppgrading servers and clients over the next few months.
Personally I usually have 2 computers, 1 runs the latest stable version and the other is for alpha and beta testing.

Bandit
April 22nd, 2012, 06:30 AM
I voted no. But then again we havent seen 14.04 or what ever the next LTS will be. I tend to forget these things.. :-?

I will however plan to keep it until the next LTS, but may keep it longer then that on my daughters system. Then again that is up to her as well.

malspa
April 22nd, 2012, 06:51 AM
I voted no. But then again we havent seen 14.04 or what ever the next LTS will be.

Hm. I voted no, too, but that's a good point.

Still, I can't imagine keeping the same release installed here for 5 years. If it was something used on the job, that might be different.

jerrrys
April 22nd, 2012, 06:55 AM
I voted no. But then again we havent seen 14.04 or what ever the next LTS will be. I tend to forget these things

The way I understand it, LTS will still be released every two years and 14.04 will NOT be supported for 5 years.

Bandit
April 22nd, 2012, 06:58 AM
The way I understand it, LTS will still be released every two years and 14.04 will NOT be supported for 5 years.

I "think" Ubuntu LTS desktop editions will be supported for like 3 years and servers for up to 5 years.. But I need to re look that up, but sure the other guys can verify this or not.

I think it is 3 and 5 or pretty close..

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

jerrrys
April 22nd, 2012, 07:03 AM
Your link says both will get 5 year support

edit: but 14.04 i think only 3

Hylas de Niall
April 22nd, 2012, 07:09 AM
It keeps locking up on my desktop machine, so i won't be using it at all on there.

I may keep it on the netbook and laptop though as i really like Unity ...but for five years? Doubt it, i get too curious about other releases!

:lolflag:

23dornot23d
April 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Seeing what is new in development so the chance of a OS lasting 5 years on a pc is
remote .... although a 8.10 version is still on one of my drives somewhere - it gets booted up are rarely ..... ( a little like booting into Windows 3.1 ) why would we do it other than for Nostalgic Value ......

As someone has already said a lot changes over 5 years .....

* Computing Touch Screen and Mobiles now the size of credit cards .... how long before

( A certain part of our computing needs will be put onto thin film and voice activated (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=YUr&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=thin+film+and+voice+activated+2012&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=26WTT5XbKdHu8QP6mbXODA&biw=1159&bih=506&sei=36WTT_CcOYLu8QO007DNDA#um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ABC&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=latest+thinfilm+computer+2012&oq=latest+thinfilm+computer+2012&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=img.3...7889.11426.6.11695.9.9.0.1.0.0.134.93 5.0j8.8.0.s766tlZojTg&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a6d891033e2c5e08&biw=1159&bih=506) 2017

or maybe earlier ...... A4 sized touch thin screen that rolls up or folds up (http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1159&bih=506&tbm=isch&tbnid=sylGUZ0rcHQZJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ecoolgadgets.com/flexible-leds-give-rollup-computer-screens-2/&docid=rBa186tvUCLjqM&imgurl=http://www.ecoolgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Flexible-LEDs-Might-Give-Us-Roll-Up-Computer-Screens.jpg&w=468&h=350&ei=o6iTT_ycB6nE0QX_grDuAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=474&vpy=180&dur=5308&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=138&ty=136&sig=110450548174679145846&page=2&tbnh=144&tbnw=195&start=11&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:11,i:103)into a phone .... )

ikt
April 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
On servers yes, on desktops depends on who's using them, at work most likely yes, at home hell no.

Tombgeek
April 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
I think so. I will be using Xubuntu 12.04 for my Computer Science uni course next year and I plan to use it until the next LTS for the same reason I'll not be upgrading to Windows 8 from 7: I see no reason to.

hakermania
April 22nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
No, it's very easy to keep up to date, it personally takes me around 5 hours or so to do everything and have my system exactly like it was on a previous release! For this I use a script that automatically installs and unistalls everything I want and move every file to the right path of the previous install.

So, I like to be a tester and help developers fix bugs, so, I don't think that is a big deal keeping up with new ubuntu versions, no matter the bugs :)

tmaranets
April 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
A lot of new releases from Ubuntu and other companies like Windows and Apple will come out in the span of 5 years. I answered no because I will probably have 12.04 for a few years like 2 or 3. And about the time I will have finished using 12.04, Ubuntu will probably have released a new, more updated version.

Docaltmed
April 22nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
The company computers stay on LTS only. My personal computers...let's just say breakage is frequent.

keithpeter
April 22nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
At work we will be staying with 12.04 the next 5 years. I will be uppgrading servers and clients over the next few months.
Personally I usually have 2 computers, 1 runs the latest stable version and the other is for alpha and beta testing.

Hello kalkems

I'd be very interested in how the client upgrade goes for your users; how the change from 10.04.4 to 12.04 strikes them.

See my sig for a poster that is designed for end users.

If they are technical type people I imagine they will just click around and sort it out.

I voted no, because my plan personally is to go LTS -> LTS.

sffvba[e0rt
April 22nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Should have a third option... "Depends"...

I would like to say yes but I don't know what goodies the dev's will come up with which won't become part of the new LTS.

KBD47
April 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
It keeps locking up on my desktop machine, so i won't be using it at all on there.

:lolflag:

I was having that same locking up problem :(

PaulW2U
April 22nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
The Precise release is not only about Ubuntu. There's also Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu and a few other lesser known versions. Not all flavours will have five years of support. Some of us have the luxury of more than one computer hence the poll is too restrictive to accurately answer. :(

KBD47
April 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
The Precise release is not only about Ubuntu. There's also Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu and a few other lesser known versions. Not all flavours will have five years of support. Some of us have the luxury of more than one computer hence the poll is too restrictive to accurately answer. :(

That's why I put "Precise" instead of just Ubuntu, I know some people like Kubuntu which also has 5 years support. I wish Xubuntu and Lubuntu had 5 years, at least Xubuntu has 3 years, but Lubuntu doesn't even have an LTS :(
I know some people like Lucid so much they wish it had 5 years support, it will be interesting to see if Precise becomes so popular.

Johnny3
April 22nd, 2012, 06:17 PM
I will probable keep it on one hard drive. I tend to have 3 one windows 7, Ubuntu for important stuff, and one to play with.
Thanks and God Bless Johnny3 65++
PS 2 PC going and one for a spare. In case I brake one bad and use one of the other to order part or google for help.

baizon
April 22nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
I personally switch every "normal" release, but for my family i upgrade only to a LTS release.

Lightstar
April 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM
I love shiny new stuff. So I doubt I would keep it for 5 years unless they add all the new features to it as they release the newer ubuntu versions.
Technology advances, I don't want to stay behind.

wolfen69
April 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Heck no! I look forward to installing the latest and greatest every 6 months. OS's become stale to me after a while, and I like having a fresh os every so often.

rima
April 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
I'm not really sure. It depends.
If 12.04 is going to run perfectly on my computer, and the next releases are "eeehhh..." then I would see no reason to change.
But, if I find the other releases more useful, stable, fast, or better, then sure I would like to upgrade :D

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 22nd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Some of us have the luxury of more than one computer hence the poll is too restrictive to accurately answer. :(

So, I chose no. Some computers may stay on 12.04 and others not.

thenixedreport
April 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
For some of the stuff I'm wanting to do, I need a consistent environment to work from. With 12.04 coming out, I may just stick with it for the next five years and not worry about it.

KBD47
April 22nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
I have wondered about using Ubuntu base with the 5 years support, but installing different desktops such as LXDE, Gnome-Panel, MATE, or Cinnamon, I'm wondering how that might work out over 5 years.
KBD47

Erik1984
April 22nd, 2012, 08:27 PM
I like the idea on one hand, on the other hand: this PC is already nearing 4 years of age. So adding another 5 makes for 9 years. Desktops nowadays seem to 'age' slower than before but still... 5 years is way too long to plan ahead for me as a home user.

donkyhotay
April 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM
I personally switch every "normal" release, but for my family i upgrade only to a LTS release.

+1

I generally upgrade my own system with each new release but I keep my parents on the LTS version. I will probably move them over to precise pangolin when it comes out and be happy I don't have to worry about it for 5 years.

dniMretsaM
April 22nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
I always do a fresh install on release day, so no. I definitely think 5 year support will is good, though. Especially for businesses.

llanitedave
April 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Heck no! I look forward to installing the latest and greatest every 6 months. OS's become stale to me after a while, and I like having a fresh os every so often.

I like seeing the progress new desktops make over time -- for the most part they do keep getting better. So I'll get 12.04, and then I'll be keeping an eye on the 12.10 betas. If they look stable and worthwhile, I'll probably upgrade again in October.

BrokenKingpin
April 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I won't be. Maybe 2 years on my media center/home server, but after that I will probably be upgrading it.

I can see companies staying on it for 5 years for workstations. I find it hard to believe a lot of people will stick with it for 5 years for home use. Sure a few people will, but the large majority won't.

Erik1984
April 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
I won't be. Maybe 2 years on my media center/home server, but after that I will probably be upgrading it.

I can see companies staying on it for 5 years for workstations. I find it hard to believe a lot of people will stick with it for 5 years for home use. Sure a few people will, but the large majority won't.

The major downside of sticking to one release is old software versions. Updating is not just to get the latest and greatest UI improvements but also to bump all installed an available packages to a higher version.

Bandit
April 22nd, 2012, 11:29 PM
The major downside of sticking to one release is old software versions. Updating is not just to get the latest and greatest UI improvements but also to bump all installed an available packages to a higher version.

In a business standpoint, you want consistency, reliability and ease of use. 5 years on one distro will go by fast. As long as it works, and has support. A business will keep on using it as "newer" means learning curves, which lead to lowering productivity and a chance for instability. We have CNC stuff at work that still uses DOS. Sometimes you run into those things as well. Upgrading may break packages and software required to perform a specific job. There are a lot of risk when upgrading. Normally IT departments test things out weeks or even months in advance before even releasing updates to the rest of the machines.

sammiev
April 22nd, 2012, 11:36 PM
Will use it untill the start of the build to 12.10.

MisterGaribaldi
April 23rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
Even my Debian server doesn't sit still for that long! :-)

KBD47
April 23rd, 2012, 02:38 AM

I have wondered how useful the Ubuntu backports are. Also wonder if just adding individual repositories for Firefox, etc., might help to relieve being stuck with old versions of software on an older OS.

mamamia88
April 23rd, 2012, 03:47 AM
I doubt it. All my hardware works out of the box and I only install 3 or 4 programs after a clean install so it only takes me maybe half hour to have a working system. And like other people have already said I would get too curious. Heck I couldn't even wait another week for the 12.04 final release and have been using it for a few weeks now

kalkems
April 23rd, 2012, 05:49 AM
Hello kalkems

I'd be very interested in how the client upgrade goes for your users; how the change from 10.04.4 to 12.04 strikes them.

See my sig for a poster that is designed for end users.

If they are technical type people I imagine they will just click around and sort it out.

I voted no, because my plan personally is to go LTS -> LTS.

Great poster! We made the move at 11.04 as we have had constant problems with pdf printing to toshiba e-studio350c copiers. I have always had a hope that the next version will sort out the problem - some pdfs seem to block individual authentication resulting in the pdf not being printed.

I teach computers to people that are mentaly impaired. They have had no problems making the shift to Unity. I had way more support issues when we only had ms-win on our clients.

Version Dependency
April 23rd, 2012, 05:55 AM
Five years, even on a server, is kinda pushing it. On a desktop? No way I go more than 18 months or 2 years before upgrading.

CharlesA
April 23rd, 2012, 06:02 AM
Five years, even on a server, is kinda pushing it. On a desktop? No way I go more than 18 months or 2 years before upgrading.
I guess it depends on how often you need to deal with the server. I've seen some servers that are just boxes shoved in the corner somewhere and left to do their jobs.

I'll be upgrading to 12.04 as soon as I get a chance - probably after it's released and I make a good backup. VirtualBox already has a 12.04 repo up, so that'll be handy. ;)