PDA

View Full Version : Why did you shift to ubuntu ?

the9gamer
April 21st, 2012, 09:35 PM
]I'm doing a research concerning ubuntu and i would like to take a few minutes of your time to answer my questionnaire about your reasons for shifting to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dE5talFRNXBGUThoOS13NnpERWZ5dkE6M Q

):P

Thank you for your participation.

mips
April 21st, 2012, 10:33 PM
I completed your questionnaire but I have to say I found the questions very biased or slanted to what I suspect to be your desired outcome.

tmaranets
April 21st, 2012, 10:40 PM
I completed the questionnaire you posted, but I found some questions stereotypical and pressing.

keithpeter
April 21st, 2012, 10:45 PM
Hello the9gamer

I think you need to look at the way your questionnaire is written. You have a series of questions, but then you are asking us to score the extent to which we agree or disagree.

If you want to use the agree/disagree thing you should have statements not questions.

e.g your questionnaire has

because ubuntu is faster and more stable than other OS ? *

I'd re-write that as something like...

For each of the statements below, say if you agree or disagree

"Ubuntu is faster than other operating systems"

"Ubuntu is more stable than other operating systems"

Just trying to help here, hope I'm not being too critical...

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 21st, 2012, 11:38 PM
I completed the questionnaire you posted, but I found some questions stereotypical and pressing.

...i have to say i found the questions very biased or slanted to what i suspect to be your desired outcome.

+1

I didn't answer the questionnaire. The reason, in addition to the above responses, was that 0 Beans and joined today made me suspicious of the intended use of the questionnaire. I would have expected a better description of the research being done.

Bandit
April 22nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
+1

I didn't answer the questionnaire. The reason, in addition to the above responses, was that 0 Beans and joined today made me suspicious of the intended use of the questionnaire. I would have expected a better description of the research being done.

Ditto ++

Although to answer the question still without the questioners I hate.
I AM LAZY...

I could build my own distro, clone it from debian, fix what quirks I find with debian, spend two weeks compiling and fighting dependency issues. Or just install Ubuntu and spend a few leisure hours tweaking the desktop that I would have done anyway.

Bucky Ball
April 22nd, 2012, 03:13 AM
What is the purpose of your research project? What will the results be used for?

23dornot23d
April 22nd, 2012, 10:54 AM
Its to do with sharing and being part of a community of honest down to Earth forward
thinking people ..... using a system that is less easy to destroy than any of the others.

And I have been through a few .....
( Arch is a better system - but it still is easier to break
than Ubuntu ..... and has some odd sound quirks ..... in recordmydesktop mode )

Speed
Freedom to choose what suits the individual
and the amount of useful available software at the press of a button are other
factors too .....

Virus free etc are a bonus ...... but the survey could have been written by a Windows
User ..... not that it matters ...... but the questions are based that way.

All that you can gather from a survey that asks questions like this ..... as a Windows
User of long gone ...... Virus ... never even crosses my mind ......
Stability and speed - walks all over Windows even 7
( which I quite like compared to the rest - other than the stupid restarts and unwanted advertising and pop ups )

Customizing too ..... but to an extent that has been lost on one of the systems ... VinDSL still does a good
job with it though .... and a few others .... but its not as easy now .

F.G.
April 22nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
sorry, i didn't answer your questionaire. i didn't feel like the questions were representative of why i really use ubuntu.

the main reasons why i do, i guess, are:
· i am required to for my job.
· linux file systems are not contiguous and therefore do not suffer from external fragmentation (and so are better for dodgy hard disks, this is actually why i first started using it full time)
. Ubuntu (in contrast to other distros) comes with loads of drivers.
· the variety of command line tools and configurability is extremely broad.
· i trust it.
· i can break it.
· i can fix it.

ps i should probably point out that i don't actually have ubuntu on any of my home computers (they have arch, crunchbang, archbang, and 'voyager'), though i do use it at work.

edit -> 'because it's more elegant,special' what does this question mean? there is nothing overtly elegant or special about Ubuntu (in fact it's main selling point is the "one size fit's all" design and "out of the box" compatibility).

graabein
April 24th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I came from Windows XP and I've just installed the Internet so you can see why I chose GNU/Linux. This was on warty or nutty or hoary something. Still miss the wobbly windows and the spinning desktop cube. Ah...

Simian Man
April 24th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Your "research" will be totally meaningless with this poorly designed poll.