PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf

LanceHaverkamp
April 21st, 2012, 08:49 PM
sudo modprobe -a intel-rng
Returns:

WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.

I have no idea what this means as this is way outside what I normally do. Nothing seems to be happening, I see no intel-rng in either modprobe.conf or modprobe.d

How do I get this module installed?

Toz
April 22nd, 2012, 02:03 AM
The warning message refers to the fact that the use of /etc/modprobe.conf is deprecated - meaning this is the old way of doing things. The "new" way is to create individual files in /etc/modprobe.d for module configuration.

LanceHaverkamp
April 22nd, 2012, 04:08 AM
That much I did understand, What it doesn't explain is why modprobe is trying to write to the old location--or what we should be using if modprobe can't handle it.

So returning to the unanswered question: How do I get this module installed?

Toz
April 22nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
That much I did understand, What it doesn't explain is why modprobe is trying to write to the old location--or what we should be using if modprobe can't handle it.

I don't think modprobe is trying to write to that file. I think its reading the existing file and warning you that it is deprecated. What is the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf? If you want to get rid of the warning, just move the contents of that file to /etc/modprobe.d and delete the file.

So returning to the unanswered question: How do I get this module installed?
What happens if you:

sudo modprobe intel-rng
Does it load?

lsmod