PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help - my Dekstop and Home folder are one and the same

Digital_Man
April 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity and somehow, I managed to make my Desktop and Home folder one and the same. Not sure how I did that....

But the result is, anything on my Desktop is also in my Home Folder and anything in my Home folder is on my Desktop. If I delete an item from one, it also deletes it from the other.

Any suggestions as to how on earth I can separate the two again?

Any guidance appreciated.

metulburr
April 21st, 2012, 07:26 PM
I had the same problem when i accidently mounted a dir to my home. I rebooted and then the two were separate again.

raja.genupula
April 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/08/26/how-to-use-your-home-folder-as-your-desktop-in-ubuntu/

look at that , the selected area check box was selected , un select it for your case .

Digital_Man
April 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Still struggling here. A reboot didn't help, and going to the dconf-editor, nautilus, there were not any other options to unlink Desktop and Home folder.

Again, I'm using 11.10 with Unity - any help?

Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Digital_Man
April 21st, 2012, 08:23 PM
Solved. The first answer on this page did it:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/44449/ubuntu-desktop-suddenly-points-to-home-folder#44467

raja.genupula
April 22nd, 2012, 03:51 AM
Still struggling here. A reboot didn't help, and going to the dconf-editor, nautilus, there were not any other options to unlink Desktop and Home folder.

Again, I'm using 11.10 with Unity - any help?

Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Hey its gconf not dconf see in the link i have given to you . glad you have solved it .

Digital_Man
April 22nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Hey its gconf not dconf see in the link i have given to you . glad you have solved it .

I wasn't able to run gconf on 11.10 Unity, but maybe that's my fault....
But still, thanks very much for your reply, and yes, thankfully it's solved.

Krytarik
April 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hey its gconf not dconf see in the link i have given to you .
No, it's not ;-) - since Oneiric 11.10, thus Gnome 3, Nautilus stores its settings in DConf.

Regards.