PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with installing Ubuntu.

TheBros35
April 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
So, my friend had a laptop running Vista. It stopped working one day and just wouldn't boot up. He tried using a re-installation of XP (I dont think he realized it was a re-int) and screwed it up. He let me work on it, so I thought I would try putting Ubuntu on their to see if it would work. I downloaded the ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso .iso file from the website and followed the instructions on how to put it on a USB. I put the USB into the computer and made it boot from Flash Drive. It says the words "SYSLINUX 4.04 EDD 2011-04-18 Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al" and it doesn't let me do anything. I found a thread on here related to that, but I just can't find a way to make it work. It is a Toshiba laptop. I would very much appreciate your guys's help!)

jadtech
April 21st, 2012, 06:56 PM
seems you could need to burn the ISO file again sometimes they dont work also make surein the bios its set for the usb to be bootable .....

TheBros35
April 21st, 2012, 07:04 PM
The BIOS is set...I tried using two different burners: Universal USB Installer and Unetbootin. I have tried multiple times with both programs ever since yesterday. I've run Ubuntu before, so I have some experiance. That time I had wubi do it for me. That was a good desktop... but things get old.

jadtech
April 21st, 2012, 07:23 PM
i wonder if trying another USB port or even burning a CD see how that goes , you said that vista stopped running what was the problem vista wouldn't boot was it BSOD ??

if you can get anything to boot the problems could be deeper then a window crash ..

tmaranets
April 21st, 2012, 07:24 PM
Have you tried burning it to a CD for an installation? Try PendriveLinux to see if it works?http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

TheBros35
April 21st, 2012, 07:27 PM
Pendrive was the first one I've tried. I have tried using all three different USB ports. I think you are right, it seems to be something deeper. Like an HDD problem. Damn. Do not want to spend 80 bucks on a part that may or may not work. If its just an HDD problem.: mad:

jadtech
April 21st, 2012, 07:32 PM
bad hard drive shouldnt prevent the USB from booting you should be able to run unbuntu right from the flash drive without installing ..
try to put the flah drive in aother computer and see if it boots if that works you know something more is wrong ..

TheBros35
April 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
if i put it in my main computer (the one im using right now) will it overwrite Vista?

jadtech
April 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM
it shouldnt unlessw you tell it too
you should just get a window with choices it wont just install on a windows partition.

TheBros35
April 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
I put it on the USB and want to run it in the LIVE Desktop thing. You know , the one that emulates it? How do i do that?

dbombtek
April 22nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
I am having a similar issue. Are you able to boot to bios or are you using the toshiba hw setup bios utility? if you can boot to bios then it should be cake if not then good luck with the hwsetup because I have been able to get it to recognize usb on startup.

TheBros35
April 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
I always hit F12 to get the Boot Manager...and then click on FDD. I have tried selecting USB Memory and it does the same thing.I can go to the F2 one, the Setup Utility though.

jadtech
April 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
well I dont think to just install you have to actually boot from the USB , try this if you have the flash stick plugged in go to my computer and double click on that drive and all the folder and files shouold be there to do the install right from there..