PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu on empty HDD, with disabled BIOS

Styku
April 21st, 2012, 05:15 PM
My problem is quite sophisticated, I'm not sure if I entitled it right. So, here is the deal:

I've got an empty HDD and a notebook with no access to the BIOS settings (can't really reset it also). The BIOS set up won't let me boot from anything except HDD.

What I can do, is plug the empty HDD to a working machine and copy some files there, like, f.e. a bootloader. I guess that's the only way to install a system which will work with mentioned notebook there.

The problem is I have no idea how to do this. Could anyone guide me step by step how to get ubuntu working on this strange set up?

Thanks in advance,
Styku

grahammechanical
April 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Why not think about trying

1) replacing (temporarily) the HDD in the working Machine with the new HDD and then install Ubuntu on it.

2) put back the original HDD in the working machine.

3) put the new HDD now with Ubuntu on it in the machine with the non cooperating BIOS

4) Switch on this machine and see what happens.

If you get to a working desktop you can install updates and a video driver specifically for the machine and use some utilities to detect displays.

If that is not what you are looking for because the empty HDD will not fit into the notebook, then try this

http://agnipulse.com/2011/08/install-ubuntu-hard-disk/

I do not know how easy it is or reliable. But I think that this sort of thing is what you want.

Regards.

Styku
April 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM
That link is just what I was searching for, thanks a lot!
I'll give it a try in few hours and update this post with some feedback