PDA

View Full Version : musik

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 02:19 AM
The developers of musikCube are looking for a couple of developers to work on their Linux version, musikBox.

I had musikBox running about a year ago (in a very broken state), but he's pulled it from the site since. In my Windows installation, musikCube was ALWAYS open. I can't begin to explain how awesome this program is. It's like Rhythmbox on crack, only the crack doesn't have any bad symptoms ;)

For those of you wondering, yes, wxMusik and musikCube derived from the same project, but they went in very different ways.

See http://musik.sourceforge.net/ for the details, and if you or someone you know would like to help, PM me and I'll notify the lead developer, or pm him yourself on the musik forums.

machiner
March 13th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Man - I've been looking for a Linux app with a "dynamic playlist" forever....Nice heads up.

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 02:31 AM
wxMusik also has them I believe, but I haven't gotten it to work reliably in Linux. It doesn't seem to have as much polish as musikCube (comparing the Windows versions obviously).

But that's one route you can go if you feel like dependency hell compiling for a little while ;)

Seandq
March 13th, 2005, 02:48 AM
wxMusik also has them I believe, but I haven't gotten it to work reliably in Linux. It doesn't seem to have as much polish as musikCube (comparing the Windows versions obviously).

But that's one route you can go if you feel like dependency hell compiling for a little while ;)
I've actually never helped as a developer of a program before. I'd consider it, or maybe I can help you out as an advisor/beta tester.

My first critique is that the windows version looks a bit more like a mature and advanced rhythmbox.

-SDQ

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I don't think that's an issue of one project copying the other, it just seems that all music players are going that way nowadays. I think it may have started with iTunes. Sidebar with playlists and tasks, two top panes with artists/albums, and then songs in the bottom pane. It's very efficient!

I'm most definitely NOT a developer-- I want things to happen, and I won't hesitate to ask for things on behalf of others, but I can't code for crap;

If you think you'd be able to help, but you aren't really sure, it'd probably be best to PM avatar3d on the musik forums and compare notes and see if you think you can do it.

Frayed
March 24th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I just got wxMusik working on hoary, took a little bit, but I followed their linux installation instructions mostly @ http://musik.berlios.de/html/compile.html#linux

Just a few extras I had to install that weren't already on my system, but they were easy to add as the problems arose.