PDA

View Full Version : Why are parrents willing to spend money on hockey but not electronics?

metcalfes
April 21st, 2012, 03:09 AM
I really like electronics, not just using them like a brainless couch potato but actually experimenting with linux and desktop environments and learning. But my parents don't like it. they were willing to spend hundreds of dollars on swimming lessons and piano but not electronics. the most they've ever spent on electronics for me is this crappy intel core duo 2.1 GHz 2 gigs or ram computer for school.

newbie-user
April 21st, 2012, 04:47 AM
As a parent, I treat my child the same way. I would rather have him going outside to play and socialize than to spend time indoors building stuff, which is what he really likes to do. It's not that I don't want my son not to build stuff. Rather, I want him to be well-rounded with some social skills. Not to say that you're not well-rounded or don't have any social skills, but computers can sometimes be a very introverted hobby. I should know, it's my hobby too.

Anyway, explaining your hobby to your parents might be a good place to start. Show them how enthusiastic you are and what kinds of things you're doing. Help them understand and appreciate what it is that you're learning.

The nice thing about linux is that it would run very well on a core duo with 2gb of ram. Maybe ask your parents for something small to start off, like a ram upgrade so that you can run more virtual machines for testing.

szymon_g
April 21st, 2012, 04:49 AM
1. This is not a place to ask a question (although, it rather sound like complaints)
2. Ask your parents, not here
3. Core 2 duo + 2 gb not enough? fine! get a job, move out, buy a new computer- otherwise learn to respect your old folks gifts.

josephmills
April 21st, 2012, 04:55 AM
I really like electronics, not just using them like a brainless couch potato but actually experimenting with linux and desktop environments and learning.
people do sit and watch hockey on couches.
Good luck and have a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHOWadT0UCg

Bandit
April 21st, 2012, 04:59 AM
I really like electronics, not just using them like a brainless couch potato but actually experimenting with linux and desktop environments and learning. But my parents don't like it. they were willing to spend hundreds of dollars on swimming lessons and piano but not electronics. the most they've ever spent on electronics for me is this crappy intel core duo 2.1 GHz 2 gigs or ram computer for school.

My first computer I owned was a Tandy 1000HX with no hard drive, double density 3 1/2 floppy, 640k of RAM and had to use my Black and White 12"TV for a monitor. You got a "crappy core 2 duo" I envy you..
Also you need to exercise and some fine arts education to better yourself and keep you healthy.

3rdalbum
April 21st, 2012, 05:10 AM
the most they've ever spent on electronics for me is this crappy intel core duo 2.1 GHz 2 gigs or ram computer for school.

Maybe you should appreciate your parents a bit more. From 1999 to 2006 I was stuck with a 333MHz iMac with 128 megs of RAM.

Your computer can run Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04, so it's not too shabby. You can run any current software on that machine too. You want something better? Get a job. That's how I was able to afford a new computer in 2006.

A lot of parents can't afford to spend money on extra-curricular activities, so you're lucky to be able to have a well-rounded life.

Plus, I'll add that your computer outclasses the one I'm currently using (a netbook) which I have to use due to space constraints in my new residence.

lisati
April 21st, 2012, 05:21 AM
Be thankful for what you have. You might not see it now, but your parents probably want the best for you.

As others have suggested, having a machine of those specs is nothing to be ashamed of. One of the boxes I have is a 133MHz Pentium with 64Mb RAM. I remember the thrill when I purchased it. Part of the thrill was that it is much better than the machines I'd been using until then.

ve4cib
April 21st, 2012, 05:28 AM
computers can sometimes be a very introverted hobby

Some people are simply introverts. Society seems to dictate that the "ideal" child is an extrovert; they're social, play with others all the time, speak up in class, etc.... But those traits tend to run contrary to some kids' (and adults') personalities. Introverts are normal people too. Just different. And I'm so tired of society as a whole treating them like misfits just because they're not extroverts.

Sorry, small rant there. Interacting with people, and getting up off the couch/soldering station to run around outside is definitely good. But "introverted" is not a bad thing and shouldn't be inherently treated as such.

Elfy
April 21st, 2012, 05:42 AM
This is not the place for your whine.

Closed