PDA

View Full Version : Make my own Geany color scheme?

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Despite the fact that I'm only learning how to program, I still have already developed preferences towards syntax highlighting. Does anyone know how I can make my own color scheme for Geany?

r-senior
April 20th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Go to Tools -> Configuration Files -> filetypes.common and play with the colours. You can also edit the files in ~/.config/geany/filedefs, copying from /usr/share/geany where necessary.

More info: http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#special-file-filetypes-common

As the name suggests, filetypes.common is common styles across languages. The other filetypes.* files are for specific languages.

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM
Thank You soo much!

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 21st, 2012, 10:10 PM
As the name suggests, filetypes.common is common styles across languages. The other filetypes.* files are for specific languages.

so, how would I make a specific file for, say, python?

r-senior
April 22nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
You'd edit the files in ~/.config/geany/filedefs, copying from /usr/share/geany where necessary.

For example, I like """ and ''' to be styled as strings, even though they are used a lot for documentation comments. So I copied /usr/share/geany/filetypes.python to ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.python and changed:

triple=string
tripledouble=commentdoc

to

triple=string
tripledouble=string

So both triple-quotes are now styled as strings. Then I change the style with filetypes.common:

string=0x995c00

So the standard approach is to use the definitions in filetypes.common to create named styles and associate colours and text attributes with those. Then refer to those named styles in the filetypes.python file to style specific aspects of Python code. I've used existing named styles but you can create additional ones -- with the risk of creating a confusing colour scheme if you create too many.

You can also break from this standard approach and style directly in the filetypes.python file.

Beyond that, you'll have to read the documentation and experiment.