PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Lost my panels!

BurrowDown
April 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Hey folks. I know I'm not exactly a regular on these forums, post-wise, but I visit them all the time and almost every time I have an ubuntu-related issue. This community almost always has a solution. So thanks.

Anyway, to the issue at hand here; I recently "upgraded" to Ubuntu 11.10 (with unity and all that) from my installed version 9.10 (UbuntuStudio). Since then, I've had a plethora of issues, the least of which is what brought me here today (skip to last paragraph if you're not interested in the other problems I'm about to mention). I've never had problems with processing speed before. My laptop is an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC which is equipped for gaming, illustration, audio, what have you...I'm not sure on the hardware specs. But since my upgrade to 11.10, animations and flash videos have been choppy, skipping here and there, and missing frames like crazy. My RAM is still 3GB but the system monitor says I'm only using 510MB of it and that's about as high as it will go. Any suggestions on diagnosing this?

In addition to that, my wireless manager has copped out. The icon still appears upper-right corner, but it says "device not managed" and doesn't list nearby connections at all. I'm forced to use
network-config to connect, and it always freezes on DHCP client when I test the connection. So I have to use
xkill to exit. Then sporadically, I'll power up my PC and it'll freeze on the boot screen with "Waiting 60 more seconds for network key," before logging me on with no connection. I have to use the ever-freezing
network-config connection test and reboot to get on the internet again. It works every time, but it's very inconvenient.

So anyway, the main reason I come here today is my most recent problem. I got fed up and blamed Unity for everything. So I went into the Compiz manager to disable it. I unchecked the "Unity" box and the upper and side panels disappeared. I figured I'd reboot and my old panels would be right back where they should be (stuuuupid). Needless to say, they weren't. I'm stuck with the five icons on my desktop and an upper panel that says "File," "Edit," "View," "Go," "Bookmarks," and "Help." If I could access the terminal or even the "Run" app, I'd go back to the compiz manager and be out of this fix. Unfortunately, ALT-F2 doesn't bring anything up and I can't figure out how to access any of the apps that I've relied on icons to open thus far.

Any help with any of these issues would be swell. But my main point here is, how do I access the terminal when i have no icon, no panels, and ALT-F2 doesn't work? Thanks in advance to anyone who has the patience to read all this.