PDA

View Full Version : Any open source tools to learn French? Or other languages?

YourSurrogateGod
April 20th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hi all, I'd like to learn French and would love it if there were some open source tools for me to learn it. Any?

What about for other languages?

whatthefunk
April 20th, 2012, 04:26 PM
The best way to learn a language is to take a class and do some actual studying. Most people I know who have relied on computer programs to learn a language didnt get very far....

Bandit
April 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I am not sure if there is any Rosetta Stone type programs for linux. I am not sure, but I swear at one time I thought there was. I hope there is anyway. I would like to learn Tagalog so I can tell when my wife is talking about me.. hehe :lolflag:

sffvba[e0rt
April 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM
http://duolingo.com/ Only a few languages now but more to come later (apparently).

JDShu
April 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Anki. Should be in the repos.

Tombgeek
April 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't recommend using a program to try and learn a language. I tried one once to improve my Afrikaans and I didn't get very far.

My suggestion is just to purchase a book or take classes and learn the language that way.

MisterGaribaldi
April 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM
I tried Rosetta Stone, but honestly the whole "immersion as a primary means of language acquisition" didn't work for me at all!

I agree with what whatthefunk and Tombgeek said: go study and take a class.

mips
April 21st, 2012, 08:19 PM
The best way to learn a language is to immerse yourselve in the culture. No books or online courses will ever teach you as much.

kaldor
April 21st, 2012, 09:02 PM
Come to Canada. Everyone speaks at least a butchered level of French here.

French is a really weird sounding language that you kind of need to immerse yourself in order to learn. The pronunciations and flow isn't something you can just pick up through text.

Also, if possible, try to learn it from a native French speaker. Typical English speakers can't really say things right :P

23dornot23d
April 21st, 2012, 09:05 PM
Try Live Mocha online ....

I am on there too ..... its a interactive course and you go at your own speed .....

http://www.livemocha.com/

Typical English speakers can't really say things right :razz:
J'suis une Anglais homme dans France je suis et non tres bon

J'apprendre un petit peu .....

Some people are better than others with languages though .... and the younger you are the better
in my mind as you do not get so set in your ways .....

Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/#auto%7Cen%7CJ%27suis%20une%20Anglais%20homme%20da ns%20France%20je%20suis%20et%20non%20tres%20bon%0A %0AJ%27apprendre%20un%20petit%20peu%20.....)is also your friend in times of trouble though .......

mips
April 21st, 2012, 09:29 PM
Come to Canada. Everyone speaks at least a butchered level of French here.

French is a really weird sounding language that you kind of need to immerse yourself in order to learn. The pronunciations and flow isn't something you can just pick up through text.

Also, if possible, try to learn it from a native French speaker. Typical English speakers can't really say things right :P

Last couple of Canucks that I spoke to that wanted to learn French wanted to go to France as it was a better option than learning French in their province which was outside of Qubec. Apparently French is a school subject in most of Canada but it simply does not take off outside of Qubec. I actually reckon my french & zulu is better better than that of most canucks :lolflag: