PDA

View Full Version : Awk ?

Leifheit
April 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hello!

I am new to this forum so I hope this is the right place for posting.

I have a problem I am working on but im not sure if I am on the right track for the solution.

Basically speaking I want to extract a string at a certain position in a text file and insert it in another textfile again at a certain position.

I was thinking awk would be the right thing to use, but I am having trouble finding out how to do it :)

Would be really nice if some1 could post an example code for doing this. Other solutions than awk would be welcome, too!

Best regards,

Leif

iponeverything
April 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Perl might be better suited for this task. If I were going to go the awk route -- I extract the field like so:

cat first-file | awk '{print $3}' > extracted-field

where $3 is the third field.

Then I would use emacs to deposit extracted field into the first or list field position of the second file.Then I would use awk again to print out the fields in desired order..

Assumption:
- Consistent number of fields per line.

r-senior
April 20th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Basically speaking I want to extract a string at a certain position in a text file and insert it in another textfile again at a certain position.
Could you clarify "a certain position"?

Is it one occurrence or multiples, are we talking fixed offsets within a line on specific line numbers or delimited by some text or tag?

Perhaps an example would help?

Habitual
April 20th, 2012, 03:42 PM
cat x
Field1 Fielld2 Field3 Field4 Field5

cat x | awk '{print $1}'
Field1

cat x | awk '{print $2}'
Fielld2

cat x | awk '{print $3}'
Field3

cat x | awk '{print $4}'
Field4

cat x | awk '{print $5}'
Field5

"$n" are positional tokens.

HTH.

Vaphell
April 20th, 2012, 04:35 PM
unnecessary cat, awk handles files just fine

iponeverything
April 20th, 2012, 04:59 PM
unnecessary cat, awk handles files just fine

unnecessary comment ;)

there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Vaphell
April 20th, 2012, 05:07 PM
true, there are 2: with and without the overhead ;-)

SeijiSensei
April 20th, 2012, 05:30 PM

As others have said, you need to tell us what you mean by a "certain position." If it's something that can be selected by breaking up the line using a delimiter, then awk will do the job. For a string at a specific column location, I'd end up using a programming language like Perl or PHP.

The delimiter in awk can be any arbitrary string; just designate it by using -F'string'.

As for inserting into a new string, the obvious choice is sed, but again, you'll need to figure out how to determine the location. Can you give us an example of the source and a target string?

Leifheit
April 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hello,

thanks for all the quick answers !
I will try to implement them and then report back :)
If it doesnt work here is an example of what I want to do:

I have on file for example called "Basics" containing information like these:

width 300
surface 1100
length1 200

I want to read out the numbers and then insert them into an .m4 file like this:

define(width, 300)
define(surface, 1100)

Line number and positioning in the line are always constant.
I want to do this so that i can just insert the numbers once in the file called "Basics" and then have them written into several different files without having to do this for each file.

Sorry I did not clarify this in the beginning ... I am still quite new to the programming stuff :/

Thanks a lot !

Leif

bregma
April 24th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Hello,
I have on file for example called "Basics" containing information like these:

width 300
surface 1100
length1 200

I want to read out the numbers and then insert them into an .m4 file like this:

define(width, 300)
define(surface, 1100)

Would it be easier to just use a shell script?

#!/bin/sh

while read name value; do
echo "define($name, $value)"
done < Basics
Redirect the output of echo above into your m4 file, or if necessary convert it into some sort of wacky sed script. Using awk to parse that input file is overkill.

codemaniac
April 24th, 2012, 08:00 PM
cat first-file | awk '{print $3}' > extracted-field

You have just won an useless use of cat award. ;)
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/shellshell-scripting-useless-use-of-cat-award.html