PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FTP creation in ubuntu step by step

atultiwari
April 20th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I am very new in ubuntu ..
i need to configure FTP server.

I need to create 5 ftp users and they all are having access of their own folders, no one can access others FTP_Folders assigned by me, Also I need to block them to SSH to the Linux Server.

Thanks in Advance...

AT

MakOwner
April 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I am very new in ubuntu ..
i need to configure FTP server.

I need to create 5 ftp users and they all are having access of their own folders, no one can access others FTP_Folders assigned by me, Also I need to block them to SSH to the Linux Server.

Thanks in Advance...

AT

Can you use sftp instead? It's incredibly easy to enable on ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

Any new or existing users will now have shell and sftp access to their home directory.

It's not ftp, but I find it incredibly more useful.

Habitual
April 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM
...Any new or existing users will now have shell and sftp access to their home directory.

It's not ftp, but I find it incredibly more useful.

and secure

anonymouschief
April 20th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Your requirements are:
- ftp users with access to their own folders
- no-one can access others' FTP folders assigned by you
- These ftp users should not have SSH/shell access

As has already been suggested by other users, SFTP is the way to go, as opposed to ftp, because it leverages SSH, which is very secure. The following is a url that shows how to chroot sftp users, and jail them into their own home folders; they will not be able to access any folders other than their own; they will not have shell/ssh access.

Please note that the following url contains insteructions that i have not tested myself. Please backup any configuration files before you make changes to them.

http://www.serverubuntu.it/SFTP-chroot

Because this suggestion applied sftp, as opposed to ftp, you will have to lookup sftp clients that your users will have to use to access their home folders on your server. Check https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_enCA396CA396&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=windows+sftp+clients#hl=en&rlz=1C1GGGE_enCA396CA396&sclient=psy-ab&q=sftp+clients&oq=sftp+clients&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=serp.3..0l4.112297.112297.0.112586.1.1.0.0.0. 0.115.115.0j1.1.0.VNP8UXo0bfQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d5de7793dde30a36

Lars Noodén
April 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM
SFTP clients include Nautilus and FileZilla.

The following example would limit users in the group 'webmasters' to only the folders 'public_html' within their home directories:

Subsystem sftp internal-sftp

Match Group webmasters
ChrootDirectory %h/public_html/
AllowTCPForwarding no
X11Forwarding no
ForceCommand internal-sftp

Note that one gotcha with chroot in OpenSSH-server is that the chrooted directory must be owned by root. So that may take a bit of planning to figure out how to give the users the access you want yet still have the target writable only by root.

See the manual page for sshd_config for more details:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/en/man5/sshd_config.5.html