PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install an older version of ubuntu using the terminal (11.10 to 10.04)

species52
April 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hello!

I have had a big problem since i upgraded to ubuntu 11.10, ubuntu wont startx or gnome, I go directly to the terminal. Apparently this is due to wrong Nvidia driver installed or an older kernel driver.

I have tried to reinstall nvidia drivers and the suggestions in:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/37590/nvidia-drivers-not-working-after-upgrade-why-can-i-only-see-terminal

Now i have given up and wish to install ubuntu 10.04 witch i know works.

How do i do this in the terminal?

I'm really new to writing in the terminal so it pretty much have to be a instruction for a dummy :)

Thanks

mrgs
April 20th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Have you tried a fresh install of 11.10 where you use only open-source (=Nouveau) drivers?

tmaranets
April 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Is your 11.10 a Wubi installation? If it is try deleting Ubuntu from your Windows side, and then install it again.

kc1di
April 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM
do you know which nvidia video card you have?

in the terminal type the following command and post the out put here if your not sure which card you have.

$ lspci -v
you should be able to get 11.10 working :)

species52
April 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Have you tried a fresh install of 11.10 where you use only open-source (=Nouveau) drivers?

I installed/upgraded it through the terminal so i don't know.

In addition to this I'm at work now so i cant do anything with the computer for another 4 hours

species52
April 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Is your 11.10 a Wubi installation? If it is try deleting Ubuntu from your Windows side, and then install it again.

I don't use windows at all.

species52
April 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I did it you guys!!

I found out that before when trying to install nvidia drivers it couldn't find or wasn't compatible with the kernel so somehow in desperation i managed to do it something like this (maybe not in this order):

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current

sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-3.0.0-17-generic-pae

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.0.0-17-generic-pae

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

There is a lot of people out there having troubles with their graphic card drivers. Someone should make a guide fore dummies who get stuck in terminal, it's very frustrating:)):P

mrgs
April 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.