PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where can I download Skype?

More or Less
April 20th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I would like to add Skype. I am using 12.04 now. The software center only brings up a pidgin plugin. I understand I need the actual Skype program.

What is the current version for Ubuntu? I am in China and when I go to the site it redirects to the Chinese site for Skype which only has the Windows versions (and possibly Mac). The Chinese version of Skype also loads a lot of ads. I used to be able to bypass this by going to download.com and getting it through cnet when using Windows.

Rodney9
April 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
In the Software Centre there is a dropdown arrow beside All Software, click on that then click Canonical Partners.

Rodney

More or Less
April 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM
It says "No items match "skype""

More or Less
April 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
This is interesting. Ubuntu must have different servers we connect to for programs. Yesterday in 11.10 I was able to get Skype. Today I am using 12.04 and I can't get it through the software center.

However, I can use a proxy site and download the .deb. When 12.04 installed, I lost all shortcut capability and I couldn't search for the program in the "Dash Home" button in the upper left. However, after installing Skype again in 12.04, I can now search for it and the link icon shows the Skype icon image.