PDA

View Full Version : What I Love About Linux

dodle
April 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
No C.O.A. or product activation! Need a restore disc? Download it without fear of the F.B.I. showing up at your doorstep.

How I wish I didn't need to be familiar with Windows.

ronaldbrijo
April 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
ease of use, intergrated office suite, no licence fees....etc

Gone fishing
April 20th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Free as in Freedom, free as in beer.

Not evil, stable, innovative, safe and cool.

ultner
April 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Linux is a very dynamic system. If I need some special requirements, I implement them. If I am a big association, with other commercial OS I had problems, to implement special solutions, I have to pay very much. With linux i have not...

~markus

kohoutek1
April 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
All the functionality of Mac, none of the restrictions. Most of the DE functions on Mac have been in Linux for years already.

Linux is compelling as a work in progress. It is now the only true alternative to commercial systems.

tmaranets
April 20th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Linux is a solid and stable OS. Its distros(especially Ubuntu), are easy and simple to use. I always some how get frustrated when using Windows or Mac OS X, but not Linux. It is innovative, free, easy to use, smart, simple,...

zombifier25
April 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Linux is the only distro that have softwares like Conky and Compiz, for free (as in free speech and free beer) Find something that can do 50% what Compiz does on Windows and I lose you a cookie (there is a software for emulating the cube, but it costs like 25$)
Of course, this is only one reason why I like Linux (others include centralized software repos, good security, etc.)

neu5eeCh
April 20th, 2012, 02:41 PM
My favorite all time computer was the TRS-80 and later (and less so), the APPLE IIe. On both of them, if you needed something, you programmed it yourself. Linux brings me back to that. I like knowing that if I wanted, I'm welcome to look at the source code and offer my 2 cents. I like fussing, fiddling, and faddling. I even like the bugs. I learn from all of it.

tmaranets
April 20th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Linux is great, especially Ubuntu. I have to thank System 76 for making such powerful computers for the right OS. Ubuntu deserves it.

Linuxratty
April 20th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Yup,I agree with all of the above..And it is gradually running all the electronic stuff in the world.

scottishbloke
April 20th, 2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.adaringadventure.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Man-throwing-up.jpg

samalex
April 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
It works :) 'nuff said.

YourSurrogateGod
April 20th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Development tools. There's a ton of them and they all work so well in Linux. What's your poison? C/C++? Ada? Java? Common Lisp? Erlang? PHP? Python? Perl? Any particular framework?

I can setup most of these things in Windows, but usually it's either more difficult, not as smooth or just doesn't have the same functionality.

Whenever I do the below, it puts a small smirk on my face:

./configure --lots-of-parameters && time make && sudo make install

BigSilly
April 20th, 2012, 04:59 PM
No C.O.A. or product activation! Need a restore disc? Download it without fear of the F.B.I. showing up at your doorstep.

This was the very first thing that got me into using Linux. The feeling of liberation! Not having to square it with Bill before installing an OS. However none of that means anything unless -

It works :) 'nuff said.

- which it does. :)

wolfen69
April 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM
I love it because it stays out of my way and let's me do what I want, how I want, when I want. There are no hidden agendas and the system does not constantly bug me about something. Plus it's free, works great, and does what I require from a computer.

This was the very first thing that got me into using Linux. The feeling of liberation!
Curiosity was what got me interested, the liberation part came later. But I could never go back at this point.

keithpeter
April 21st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Hello All

+1 to all above

In addition: Current OS with security updates runs ok on older hardware.

Hanging on to that laptop for another year or two keeps things out of landfill and reduces consumerism.

http://www.storyofstuff.org/movies-all/story-of-electronics/

http://lastyearsmodel.org/

zombifier25
April 21st, 2012, 03:47 PM
Curiosity was what got me interested, the liberation part came later. But I could never go back at this point.
:lolflag:
Do you know how I got into Linux? A guy on a game forum (Drakes of Insaniquariumguide.com) told me that if I should try Linux, for the sake of feeling different. I started off with VirtualBox, then elevated to Wubi and finally, dual-boot.

linuxyogi
April 22nd, 2012, 06:03 AM
Great number of free apps.