PDA

View Full Version : Favorite IDE?

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 19th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I'm fairly new to programming, (learning a little html, know some actionscript 2, learning as much python as possible, and want to learn Java and some form of C) and I was wondering if anyone has a favorite IDE, text editor, ect. From what I've seen, I like Ninja IDE for Python, but for some reason I can't change the syntax highlighting, which is frustrating. I'm still looking for something that supports a debugger, syntax highlighting, and some sort of gui editor. Any opinions?

dniMretsaM
April 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I always use Emacs to write my code. But for a graphical IDE, your best bet is probably Eclipse. It's pretty resource hungry, so if you need something lightweight, you might want to look into Geany.

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 19th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I've heard of eclipse before, guess I should try it! Hold on, though, what's Emacs?

dniMretsaM
April 19th, 2012, 10:58 PM
At the most basic level, Emacs is a text editor. However, it does a ton of other stuff. Email, notes, spreadsheets, browse the web, and even edit videos. It is also highly extensible and there are a ton of addons for just about every thing, including language specific stuff to help you write code more efficiently (debugging, auto-complete, etc. etc.). Here (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/) is it's Web site.

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
pretty cool.

donkyhotay
April 19th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I just use gedit, like emacs it's just a text editor but it has some plugins that can make coding easier. I tried eclipse once but it seemed too complex and overkill so I didn't really get into it.

sffvba[e0rt
April 19th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Hold on, though, what's Emacs?

http://stallman.org/saintignucius.jpg

Saint Stallman does not approve of this blasphemy :(

dniMretsaM
April 20th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Saint Stallman does not approve of this blasphemy :(

Lolol!

I Had a similar picture as the background in my Emacs terminal profile a while back.

Erik1984
April 20th, 2012, 12:22 AM
If the thread runs long enough many people will start recommending Vim en Emacs as code editors but they do have a steep learning curve. I plan to ever get used to Vim as so many people claim it's good but I've never gone further than trying the tutorial document :(

So personally I stick to 'vanilla' editors like Geany and Kate for now. Of those two I prefer Geany function wise but Kate integrates better with my desktop (KDE) and has nice auto-completion.

blithen
April 20th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Depends on what you're doing, eclipse is probably your best bet but if you're just doing some simple scripting then gedit, or a text editor is probably the easiest.

hakermania
April 20th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Depends on what you're doing, eclipse is probably your best bet but if you're just doing some simple scripting then gedit, or a text editor is probably the easiest.

I will agree with this.
I think that one shouldn't use a general IDE for every language but instead, use specific IDEs for each one or two, like QtCreator for C++ etc.

BrokenKingpin
April 20th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I like MonoDevelop, but I code mostly in C#. Works pretty decent for C++ as well.

[Neurotic]
April 20th, 2012, 01:32 AM
About 6 months ago I made the switch over to IntelliJ (from Eclipse), and I'm loving it for just about everything - Java, Groovy, HTML, CSS, Javascript, SQL....

Obviously it costs $$$ - but it's seriously nice stuff.

Ghil
April 20th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I'm trying out Netbeans, and it isn't bad at all :D

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I just use gedit, like emacs it's just a text editor but it has some plugins that can make coding easier. I tried eclipse once but it seemed too complex and overkill so I didn't really get into it.
Yeah, I like uncomplicated, but isn't it tricky to develop something when you're constantly going back and forth between the compiler and the text editor? Bear with me, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff...

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I'm trying out Netbeans, and it isn't bad at all :D

wuzzat?

Primefalcon
April 20th, 2012, 02:25 AM
VIM rocks

dniMretsaM
April 20th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I like uncomplicated, but isn't it tricky to develop something when you're constantly going back and forth between the compiler and the text editor? Bear with me, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff...

I think you can open a terminal directly in Gedit. Anyway, if you're looking for simple but still useful, I definitely suggest you try out Geany.

Bandit
April 20th, 2012, 02:40 AM
LOL @ Stallman pic..

I prefer Gedit for its syntax highlighting. For HTML I like Bluefish. Its been out since the stoneage also and is very very good.

BTW, you can use LUA and never have to worry about compiling anything. Its a scripting language, but is as fast as most native codes like C++. Its used in many games like World of Warcrap.

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 02:58 AM
LOL @ Stallman pic..

I prefer Gedit for its syntax highlighting. For HTML I like Bluefish. Its been out since the stoneage also and is very very good.

BTW, you can use LUA and never have to worry about compiling anything. Its a scripting language, but is as fast as most native codes like C++. Its used in many games like World of Warcrap.

Wait, so is it an entire language, or an IDE? I've no qualms about adding another language to my toolbox, but I can only take so much at a time...

HermanAB
April 20th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Geany

Dragonbite
April 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Visual Studio is my favorite IDE at this point, but unfortunately it doesn't work on Linux. :(

For a PHP project I am working on I have been using

Dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com) to store the source code since it is cross-platform AND cross-distribution. Ubuntu One could probably do the same thing I guess.
Xampp (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) for the PHP environment. It gives me a full LAMP environment with controls for starting and stopping.
Being cross-platform it ensures I am working in a similar environment regardless of which computer/OS I am using; Linux, Windows, etc.
Xampp's included phpMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php) for working with the MySQL database.
gEdit and gPHPEdit (http://www.gphpedit.org/) (and Notepad++) for editing the source code.
Sometimes I'll use Netbeans (http://netbeans.org/), but the then I have to manage where the program setting files go because not every system uses Netbeans so why clutter the site or the source code with application-specific configuration files? Same thing with Visual Studio, so I keep source in one location and the config files elsewhere.

Most of the time I end up using gEdit/Notepad++ on the files located in Xampp so I can refresh the browser and see the effects immediately. Then, before shutting the system down, or once I get something finished I like, I copy the contents of the files in Xampp into my Dropbox. Next time I am on another system, I copy Dropbox into my Xampp location and I'm right where I was before but have whatever application I am going to use available.

EDIT:
I almost forgot. If you use Xampp then make sure you go through the steps to enable passwords and security. Also, for my development machines I make sure the firewall does not have port 80 (http) open so people cannot navigate to my dev box and into my site or more importantly into my MySQL database!

samalex
April 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Depends on the language... For PHP I like Netbeans, for C or C++ I like CodeBlock or Netbeans, for C# I like MonoDevelop. Qt Develop is nice too, but I don't do much in Qt. Also I hate to say it, but Visual Studio on Windows is quite nice as well, which I have to use at work.

I've tried to like Eclipse, but it just seems too cumbersome. I hear it's great though once you get to know it.

Simian Man
April 20th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm fairly new to programming, (learning a little html, know some actionscript 2, learning as much python as possible, and want to learn Java and some form of C)
I'm not sure what you mean exactly here. Are you planning on learning them all at once? If so, I would very much recommend against that. Many beginners try to learn more than one language, or switch languages before they really grasp the one they were working on. In this case, you'll learn many different syntaxes, but not actually learn how to program effectively. Also there are no "forms of C". C, C++ and C# are completely different languages onto themselves.

As for an IDE or editor, your best bet is just to try all the ones people recommend. People tend to have strong, yet wildly varying opinions on the matter so it's best just to try for yourself. I use Vim for most everything, but it has a steep learning curve.

First off, it's not an acronym so it's just "Lua". Secondly, Lua is frequently used as a scripting language for games and other applications for non-critical code. The code that makes up most of the execution cycles in a game is not written in Lua, it's written in C or C++. If World of Warcraft were written totally in Lua, it would be unplayably slow.

Dragonbite
April 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I drink so much coffee, I almost think I should learn Java just to get that little bit more of my "fix"! :lolflag:

Bandit
April 20th, 2012, 04:38 PM
First off, it's not an acronym so it's just "Lua". Secondly, Lua is frequently used as a scripting language for games and other applications for non-critical code. The code that makes up most of the execution cycles in a game is not written in Lua, it's written in C or C++. If World of Warcraft were written totally in Lua, it would be unplayably slow.

LUA lua Lua.. Wouldnt ponder on minor details, I am just used to acronyms so much its just a habbit.

Also I never claimed the entire was writen in lua. I just pointed out that it uses it. When I mention it uses it, the interface (status bars, action bars, map thingy, etc.. etc..) uses it. I never stated the core of the game was in Lua, lua, LUA or Dave & Buster. :)

donkyhotay
April 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM

I use yakuake for CLI stuff. Once I've saved my changes in gedit I just hit F12, generally just press the up arrow key to bring up the last command (which is usually the command to run the program I'm testing) then hit enter. I love yakuake, some things are easier to do in CLI while some is easier in GUI. Yakuake lets me flip between the two easily. I wish gnome had an equivalent that was as well done as yakuake but tilda and guake don't cut it for me.

sujoy
April 20th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I love emacs, M-x compile and then back to editing :)

Simian Man
April 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
LUA lua Lua.. Wouldnt ponder on minor details, I am just used to acronyms so much its just a habbit.
Just a pet peeve of mine.

Also I never claimed the entire was writen in lua. I just pointed out that it uses it. When I mention it uses it, the interface (status bars, action bars, map thingy, etc.. etc..) uses it.
You said that it was a fast as native code like C++, and then gave the example of WoW. It seemed like you were using the latter to prove the former. But because the high-performance parts of WoW are not Lua code, it doesn't show Lua's speed. Lua is a great little language, but it is not as fast as C or C++.

Either way, that makes no difference to a beginner though.

Bandit
April 20th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Either way, that makes no difference to a beginner though.

All good. :)

Yea he mentioned he didnt want to over complicate things coding then constantly compiling. Lua came to mind since its fast and a scripting language. Now they do claim its the fasted scripting language out and faster then some native code, but as far as being faster then C++ I am sure it isnt, but it is fast enough for most applications. I think Mr Peachy even has some really good examples on his personal blog page.

ref: http://www.lua.org/about.html

YourSurrogateGod
April 20th, 2012, 05:13 PM
vim

Majorix
April 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I am surprised nobody even mentioned Codeblocks. It has a debugger and a GUI designer for C++ and it is cross-platform so if you get used to it and have to run Windows for whatever reason you can use it there too.

Dragonbite
April 20th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I am surprised nobody even mentioned Codeblocks.

Depends on the language... For PHP I like Netbeans, for C or C++ I like CodeBlock or Netbeans,...

:guitar:

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure what you mean exactly here. Are you planning on learning them all at once? If so, I would very much recommend against that. Many beginners try to learn more than one language, or switch languages before they really grasp the one they were working on. In this case, you'll learn many different syntaxes, but not actually learn how to program effectively. Also there are no "forms of C". C, C++ and C# are completely different languages onto themselves.

Well, I already know my fair share of actionscript, and I know a little html, I'm certainly interested in knowing more, but my primary focus is python by far. Java, I absolutely wanna learn java after python, as for C, C++, and C#, I want to learn at least one, but I haven't decided which yet after java. Would you please explain the difference for me?

forrestcupp
April 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Visual Studio is my favorite IDE at this point, but unfortunately it doesn't work on Linux. :(Visual Studio is undeniably the best IDE in the world. The only problems are that it doesn't work for Linux programming, and it doesn't do all languages, like Java.

So for Linux, I think Eclipse it my favorite. It's good for Java, Android SDK, C++, and a lot of things. It's a pretty awesome IDE. I don't understand why Netbeans is like the official Java IDE, when Eclipse seems so much better for Java development.

I still like Visual Studio better, though.

I am surprised nobody even mentioned Codeblocks. It has a debugger and a GUI designer for C++ and it is cross-platform so if you get used to it and have to run Windows for whatever reason you can use it there too.
Codeblocks is pretty nice. I think I like Eclipse a little better, though.

forrestcupp
April 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
as for C, C++, and C#, I want to learn at least one, but I haven't decided which yet after java. Would you please explain the difference for me?
We could write a very long book about the differences between C, C++, and C#. They have similarities, but they are all different. C is a low level, procedural language, while C++ and C# are both object oriented. Object Oriented and Procedural programming are two completely different ways of doing things. C# is a managed language, while in C++, you have to manage your own memory. Java is managed, but its syntax is extremely close to C++. But even though Java's syntax is almost identical to C++, the mentality of programming in those two languages is completely different.

These are all things you just learn when you're learning to program. I agree with the notion that you need to pick a language and spend a lot of time with it before you move to something else. Learning a syntax can be done very quickly, but learning good programming techniques in each language takes a while.

As for which language is best for you to learn, that all depends on what you want to program. You need to sit down and decide what you want to do before you decide which language to learn. They're all used for different purposes. If they weren't, we'd just have one language to do it all. Then after you decide which language you're going to become proficient at, that will give you a better idea of which IDE is best for you.

|{urse
April 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
code::blocks FTW

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Interesting how many replies such a trivial question has compared to other questions of mine... Hey, I'm not complaining!

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Geany looks pretty Cool! Anyone know of some good resources to learn the basics?

MG&TL
April 20th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Geany looks pretty Cool! Anyone know of some good resources to learn the basics?

No, but open a code file in Geany using the open button on the taskbar or Ctrl-O, then just play with the buttons. They mostly have descriptive labels, and because it's lightweight, it doesn't have weird options to confuse you, (Visual Studio, I'm looking at you) so you should be able to work out how it works. Bear in mind that you may never use some of the functionality even a lightweight IDE has, so don't get too bogged down with 'learning an IDE'-you're learning a language, not a program.

IWantFroyo
April 20th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Vim and Geany.

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you know how I might change the syntax highlighting?

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 11:25 PM
You know what, I can't change Geany syntax highlighting any more than I can Ninja. I think I'll just stick with that for now...

MG&TL
April 20th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I believe this: http://www.geany.org/Documentation/FAQ#QQuestions7 is what you're after?

forrestcupp
April 21st, 2012, 01:16 PM
Interesting how many replies such a trivial question has compared to other questions of mine... Hey, I'm not complaining!

Geeks are very passionate about their IDEs. ;)

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 21st, 2012, 02:07 PM
I believe this: http://www.geany.org/Documentation/FAQ#QQuestions7 is what you're after?

I believe it is!

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 21st, 2012, 02:07 PM
TextPad and Padre

What's Padre?