PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hibernate in 11.10

nirensinha
April 19th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Ever since I upgrade to 11.10, i am not able to successfully hibernate or at time suspend my desktop. I am using AMD with nvidia drivers.

Hibernate was working fine in 11.04 only with tuxonice but now it fails while saving the pages. I have tried lot of things, kernel from ubuntu repository, tuxonice, compiled my own kernel, uswsusp but nothing works.

This is really frustrating as I always hibernate my desktop. Every day my computer freezes while hibernating and I have to hard stop it. I have done hard stop so many time that now my hard disk is showing errors. I have completely given up and need some help.

Ubuntu is one of the best Operating System out there and I have been using it for last 5 years. I dont want to switch to any other flavor.

Please help. Thank you

Toz
April 24th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Ever since I upgrade to 11.10, i am not able to successfully hibernate or at time suspend my desktop. I am using AMD with nvidia drivers.
Have you installed the proprietary drivers for your nvidia card? Open a terminal window, type in the following command, and post back the results:

sudo lspci -vnn | grep -A10 VGA

Hibernate was working fine in 11.04 only with tuxonice but now it fails while saving the pages.
Are you getting error messages? If so, what are they?

I have tried lot of things, kernel from ubuntu repository, tuxonice, compiled my own kernel, uswsusp but nothing works.

This is really frustrating as I always hibernate my desktop. Every day my computer freezes while hibernating and I have to hard stop it. I have done hard stop so many time that now my hard disk is showing errors. I have completely given up and need some help.

Ubuntu is one of the best Operating System out there and I have been using it for last 5 years. I dont want to switch to any other flavor.

Please help. Thank you

Can you also post back the contents of /var/log/pm-suspend.log and /var/log/dmesg, along with the results of the following commands:

sudo dmidecode -s system-manufacturer
sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
cat /proc/cmdline
cat /etc/fstab

And finally, how much RAM does this computer have?