PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Currently running 12.04 Beta2--should I do a clean install of LTS when released?

ubume2
April 19th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I did a clean install of 12.04 Beta2 after it came out. I've done updates daily.

I've been reading threads on 12.04 Beta/Beta2 that makes me wonder if I should install LTS when it comes out.

There is a sticky thread in Ubuntu +1 that cautions not to do partial upgrades (which I did).

Another post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1961465

12.04 is still in beta and should only be used for testing and not for a live production system, any update is likely to hose your system thats why is in beta, to be tested. . . . .

Since the poster said it is still in beta and "should only be used for testing and not for a live production system..."

should I then install the LTS after it comes out on April 26, or will I likely have a fully capable/usable and updatable LTS system if I continue to do daily updates of Beta 2?

My Beta is currently working fine now.

Thanks

zombifier25
April 19th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Do you have any dependencies that isn't currently resolved? If not, then you don't need to. I have been using this thing since Beta 1.

ubume2
April 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Do you have any dependencies that isn't currently resolved? If not, then you don't need to. I have been using this thing since Beta 1.

I haven't received any messages indicating that I have unresolved dependencies.

oldfred
April 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I may or may not do clean install. The current install will get updated and be current after it released. But as an older install with lots of updates, history, logfiles and cruft are still there.

I may just update and try to do a through houseclean. And, also then do a clean install to another partition to see if there is any real difference.

ubume2
April 19th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I may or may not do clean install. The current install will get updated and be current after it released. But as an older install with lots of updates, history, logfiles and cruft are still there.

I may just update and try to do a through houseclean. And, also then do a clean install to another partition to see if there is any real difference.

Yes, there will be old crud there. I have two installs of the Beta, so I could do a clean install on one of them. Thanks oldfred.

SeijiSensei
April 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I'd clean out /boot at least. As of this morning, I had half-a-dozen kernel images and associated files there.

ubume2
April 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I try to keep installed kernels down to the two latest. Thanks all for your input.

Since I have two installs of Beta. I will do a clean install after 4/26.
I can't help but think that relying on the Beta to update/upgrade seamlessly to LTS, is problematic, similar to the problems some have when upgrading from one release to another.

Stealthp90
April 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM
If you are liking the BETA 2 i would recomend that you do a clean instal of the full version when released because the final revision will have more bug fixes and will most likely have a newer Kernal version. So i think it would be just a good idea out of principal. But that is all up to the user. But i always like having the most stable and well built version hope this helps.