PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 hosed

macminiuser
April 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I do not know what to do now Iinstalled the last updates for unbuntu 12.04 and my system is hosed, compiz is messed up ,There is no launcher on the side no menus no nothing just my wallpaper.I don't wanna lose all my emails and stuff. is there any hope?

IWantFroyo
April 19th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and sign in. Then, run:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

This will install a different desktop (LXDE), which you can then sign into after rebooting. Hopefully you'll get your window manager and a panel.

If this doesn't work then I would hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 again, sign in, and then just use elinks, cp or ftp to move all your files off your computer. If you're using a standard email client then their should be a Mail or .mail folder in your ~/
I would plug in a USB drive and
cp -R Mail /media/nameofusb. You can use ls to determine what's in the folders, like the name of your USB.

macminiuser
April 19th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Thank you I will try that, I forgot tomention that I used DEja Dupe to backup my home folder to another drive. I don't know if that would fix the problem if I restored it from backup?

haqking
April 19th, 2012, 02:06 PM
12.04 is still in beta and should only be used for testing and not for a live production system, any update is likely to hose your system thats why is in beta, to be tested.

And always have backups of your data.

Peace

macminiuser
April 19th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I have several backups from yesterday on back

IWantFroyo
April 19th, 2012, 02:08 PM
If it's just your home folder, then that won't help you restore your system. Do you have a separate /home partition?

macminiuser
April 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM
No, Thats where I screwed up at.

macminiuser
April 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Is there anyway to open up my home folder without an icon ihave a few icons on my desktop like trash firefox but thats it. I can open up my settings folder

macminiuser
April 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Ok I managed to open up overview in settings and ran update manager it installed updates again so we'll see what happens

macminiuser
April 19th, 2012, 02:33 PM
how do you bring up a terminal on the desktop? is there keyboard shortcuts?

Mobidoy
April 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM
ctrl+alt+t

Frogs Hair
April 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Ctrl + Alt + t or to enter tty 1 and enter commands from there see the first line of post 2.
To exit tty use Ctrl + Alt + F7.