PDA

View Full Version : what else should i do with ubuntu?

lithiumKid1976
April 19th, 2012, 11:10 AM
hi
i currently have ubuntu set up, and its running the folling.

compiz
xbmc
cairo dock
networked shares from 2nd pc with samba

but what else can i look at with ubuntu, what other technologies or software should i check out?

any suggestions welcome.
im not interested in gaming, but would be interested in music/ video and pics, as well as flashy desktops... :)

hope this is the correct forum :)

thanks

Bandit
April 19th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Conky

codemaniac
April 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
hi
i currently have ubuntu set up, and its running the folling.

compiz
xbmc
cairo dock
networked shares from 2nd pc with samba

but what else can i look at with ubuntu, what other technologies or software should i check out?

any suggestions welcome.
im not interested in gaming, but would be interested in music/ video and pics, as well as flashy desktops... :)

hope this is the correct forum :)

thanks

Hello , yes this is the absolete place where you get any kind of help and support regarding Ubuntu .Good to see you get started with complex and elegant applications like Compiz.But one thing you need to decide what actually you want to do with your system .If you are a computer programmer and enthusiast then there are ample of arms you can find in Ubuntu's or any other Linux' s arsenal .
If you are a general user and want your system to be an eyecandy , you can try out different types of desktop environments and GTK gadgets and conky[highly customizable] .Ubuntu has every type of applications avaiable in its rich repositories for different type of computer users .Please tell us exactly what your point of interests are then we can suggest you applications that you can try out .

avunda
April 19th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hey Lithiumkid,

Audacity is a great start for the audio. It will allow you to create, edit, and point you in a good direction as far as audio is concerned.

The first thing that I did when I downloaded Ubuntu for the first time is spent a few hours is looking through all the packages that are available, and what they do. There's a lot of exciting things out there. Dare to explore! :)

Anthony

IWantFroyo
April 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I just goof around inside of the Software Center.

Try learning to use LyX or type a document in Abiword. The beauty of Ubuntu is in the tasks it does, after all.

josephmills
April 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
terminator (terminal)

Bazzar

Bazzar explorer

launchpad

pimp out gedit

change up icons

rock out conky

install virtual box and add new os to system for testing and breaking

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/Creating

hook up xchat and come habg out in the chat rooms with staff

medibuntu

Install quickly and make you 1st program
http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/

install figlet and toilet and messaround

make a custom .bashrc file

set up ubuntu one

get free ketboard stickers to replace the windows ones from system 76

install other os in virtual box and see how llucky you are to have ubuntu installed

gnome3 ??

ubuntu-restricted-extras

gnome-tweak-tool

ubuntu -tweek

gnome-sushi ?

l@_@k for easter eggs

that is all for now

wait xswat and or crack pushers ppa ?

Handfull of Buddha
April 19th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I would also get Gimp for editing your photos. I use it all the times, great for getting rid of acne on people.

samalex
April 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
If you're a licensed ham radio operator there are TONS of great amateur radio apps for Linux. Xastir is what I'm working to get going now, which is an APRS app for Linux.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 20th, 2012, 12:07 AM

Based on the interests you have identified. Go to the Ubuntu software center and enter themes, music, video, pics, pictures, or graphics to see what applications are available. Then try them to see what they do.

If you are interested in technology, you need to identify what you are interested in learning; such as, virtualization, cloud computing, networks, and so fourth.

lithiumKid1976
April 22nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
thanks guys for all the suggestions, youve giving me a lot to think about / tinker about...

i think tomorrow ill start with conky, then work through the other suggestions...
thanks again!
:)

thenixedreport
April 23rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
I hope you don't mind at least one more suggestion. Grab a copy of VirtualBox OSE and play with other operating systems. :)